pipe bowl letters decipher please.....

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found several of this same pipe bowl, but rather may be from a few separate broken bowls....Se a few letters R L S and maybe an O. It seems that S may be the last letter if I am deciphering it all correctly. Shame to find so many S pieces and not enough to make out the whole word. Serif letters may indicate age but what could the word be....can I buy a vowel..lol Any ideas?

20210404_194707.jpg 20210404_194730.jpg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm thinking the first thing you should do is try to determine when your pipe fragments date from. :icon_scratch:
This might then lead you to a similar design
and to a possible maker.

To me, all these look like are old Scrabble tiles. :laughing7:
Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking the first thing you should do is try to determine when your pipe fragments date from. :icon_scratch:
This might then lead you to a similar design
and to a possible maker.

To me, all these look like are old Scrabble tiles. :laughing7:
Dave

The site dates from 1840 to 1880. Defintly pipe bowl fragments.

Upvote 0

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't uncommon for tobacco producers and sellers to advertise their products in that fashion.

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So none of the pieces fit together or are close?

That is a thick pipe bowl....you sure on this?

I dont see any ref to the size or thickness with a scale or other measurement...

Please provide a scale reference, but also, you can determine the radius of the circle from the sections, that will tell how big this was.. looking at the images provided, the diameter looks far too large for a clay pipe....if you proved a scaled top version with radius, that would help...

There is little slope to the sides to form a curved pipe bowl, and the thickness seems like this was far larger than a pipe bowl?
Images of the other side, it it glazed or coated?

claypipes.jpg claypi3.jpg s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't uncommon for tobacco producers and sellers to advertise their products in that fashion.

My guess as well, but was just wondering if anyone recognized it. I know there were kazillion designs made so It may not be recognizable. Thanks MH

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your fragments are definitely letters to words around the top of the bowls. :thumbsup:
I find a lot of stems, but I've never found a complete bowl in the farm fields.

Here's a fragment I found yesterday, thankfully there's enough information here for me to figure out what this is.

Queen Victoria's 50th Jubilee Commemoration.
Dave

Attachments

• 20210406_083257.jpg
    20210406_083257.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your fragments are definitely letters to words around the top of the bowls. :thumbsup:
I find a lot of stems, but I've never found a complete bowl in the farm fields.

Here's a fragment I found yesterday, thankfully there's enough information here for me to figure out what this is.

Queen Victoria's 50th Jubilee Commemoration.
Dave

Cool piece of history Dave... but this was for Victoria's Diamond Jubilee of 60 years. She came to the throne in 1837.

I don't have any doubt that the OP's pieces are from pipe bowls, but tracking the lettering is going to be really difficult.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried to see if any of the peices fit together?

......of course, but this may be a few pieces from multiple pipes, as there was a lot of smoking going on there.But to answer your question, yes I have tried and nothing matches.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool piece of history Dave... but this was for Victoria's Diamond Jubilee of 60 years. She came to the throne in 1837.

I don't have any doubt that the OP's pieces are from pipe bowls, but tracking the lettering is going to be really difficult.
Of course you're right my friend, here I thought I knew my British history better than that. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In terms of date range, clay pipes were made into the 20th c which was a surprise for me to find out—but their prevalence waned beginning around 1870-80 due to the growth in popularity of briar and cob pipes as well as cigarettes and small cigars.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread