Pirate Gold of Adak Island on Netflix

eelecurb

Feb 12, 2011
Yesterday I watched all eight episodes of the new Netflix series "Pirate Gold of Adak Island". The legend is that in the late 1800s a "pirate" buried 150 cans of gold coins on the island. Supposedly, two cans have been found - one in the 1950s and one in the 70s if I remember correctly. I won't reveal spoilers but to me it seemed very slow and heavily scripted. And let's just say I don't believe the ending was "authentic". Anyone else have an opinion?

arizona88

Greenie
Jun 29, 2022
Yesterday I watched all eight episodes of the new Netflix series "Pirate Gold of Adak Island". The legend is that in the late 1800s a "pirate" buried 150 cans of gold coins on the island. Supposedly, two cans have been found - one in the 1950s and one in the 70s if I remember correctly. I won't reveal spoilers but to me it seemed very slow and heavily scripted. And let's just say I don't believe the ending was "authentic". Anyone else have an opinion?
I watched/listened to the show 2 days ago and I was thinking the same thing. Also how can they have all of this somewhat detailed information on Dwargstof. Like how did they know about the big metal milk jugs that had gold?? Did they have a journal 📔 about him or something?? What happen to the gold coins the soldier found? You think they have them in a museum or at least one of them. If this is all real and the coins they found at the end not to be a spoiler lol are real then send this crew to Oak Island to make some real progress lol!

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just started watching it...not a terrible show but i have all the same questions..And thank you for not spoiling it!

Channel2

Sep 27, 2010
Terra Incognita
Detector(s) used
Just another tool in the toolbox..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...And thank you for not spoiling it!

Well... Let me know when you are ready for me to spoil it.

(The entire story from A to Z is a literary hoax created in 1971 by a well-known pulp-fiction novelist. The man, the ship, the backstory--the entire legend is pure `pulp magazine` fiction.)

C

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still find it entertaining though...Im no expert detectorist but it seems to me that this crew pretty much just bought all new equipment..everything they use looks like it came right out of a box..Another issue i have is i find it odd that the government is trying to take away alot of our gun rights yet they just burred live ordnance up there and put a fence and a sign up..now granted it is pretty remote but lets be honest here..Why didnt they just detonate it as well?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made it through the first two episodes. Trying to understand how they can differentiate (with detectors) between a bomb and a sealed can filled with Gold coins! Reminded me of the famous scene in "Detectorists" when Terry is convinced the farmer won't let them search in a certain field and Terry believes it's because he buried his missing wife there.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still find it entertaining though...Im no expert detectorist but it seems to me that this crew pretty much just bought all new equipment..everything they use looks like it came right out of a box..Another issue i have is i find it odd that the government is trying to take away alot of our gun rights yet they just burred live ordnance up there and put a fence and a sign up..now granted it is pretty remote but lets be honest here..Why didnt they just detonate it as well?
Depending on the type of ordnance,just take it offshore a few miles and shove er over the side.The Bering Sea,s pretty deep around there I,d imagine. As cheap or cheaper than all the trouble of burying it and no fences or restricted areas to keep those nasty civilians out of.

Jan 15, 2022
I've tried watching this, but these experts that they brought in to hunt are complete garbage... Watching mayor Thom with his military Minelab and horrible swing pattern made me really suspicious, but when the expert whipped out the yellow Garrett from academy sports I lost it. Every thing about this show is just cringe...

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished last two episodes last night. It is possible what they found in that location after figuring out where they dumped the dirt. I doubt the whole treasure is beyond the fence though.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried watching this, but these experts that they brought in to hunt are complete garbage... Watching mayor Thom with his military Minelab and horrible swing pattern made me really suspicious, but when the expert whipped out the yellow Garrett from academy sports I lost it. Every thing about this show is just cringe...
How about when the one guy was walking up the hill and using his detector as a walking stick, putting all his weight on it and pulling himself up?

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree....When I saw $350M being searched for with Ace 250.... also very convenient that the only significant finds were in the last few minutes of the last episode....Lol. I also wondered where the *intel* came from regarding the number of cans...etc etc. As if a crappy fence that you could walk around would stop you from searching.... I skimmed it anyway so no loss of time. But yeah pretty fake imho

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what got me is how 3 of them with detectors were able to cover every square inch of ground in just hours, hell just hat hill would have taken me 2 weeks or better, and I would still be at the creek panning.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ran across this show, decided to check what the hive mind thought about it here. And like most TV shows it comes across scripted and sponsored by the gadget company's. Military grade detector because it's olive drab? Backhoe to dig up a UXO? Seems like care with a shovel would be a better idea. Going to try to make it through two episodes. My favorite show has been The Detectorists. Although not a reality show, came across more real than the rest.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yikes! The script contridicts itself so often it is hard to watch! We are short on time, so lets all stand around and watch them demo a house that the gold has to be under! It can't be anywhere else they would not have carried there gold any further. Next episode they are going to a remote lake deep into the island!

melvinardan

Mar 28, 2023
It seems like there are a lot of opinions about the Netflix series "Pirate Gold of Adak Island". Some viewers found it slow and heavily scripted, while others found it entertaining despite some of the questionable aspects of the show youtube apk
There were also some concerns raised about the accuracy of the information presented in the show, such as the legend of the buried treasure being a literary hoax. Additionally, some viewers were skeptical about the equipment used by the crew and the likelihood of finding buried treasure with metal detectors. Despite these criticisms, it seems like the show has sparked a lot of discussion and debate among viewers. Have any of you watched "The Detectorists"? It was mentioned as a favorite by one viewer and is also about treasure hunting, but with a more comedic and lighthearted approach.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread