CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff,

Can you give the reference for the above quote? I live in coastal Georgia (in McIntosh County) and have never heard of a McIntosh Island along Georgia's coast (not to say there isn't such an island, or has been one named so in the past). Anyhow, it piqued my interest.....

Most "pirate treasure" stories concerning the Georgia coast seem to be just that ~ stories. It's extremely difficult finding any historicial references to them.

Thanks,

Robin

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, that's all I have.

Tecumseh

Feb 23, 2007
Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
From looking at rootsweb, I think McIntosh Island was either the same as, or one of the nearby islands to Sapelo. The local historical society probably has the info.

L

Lilsorel2

I live in Glynn County. I have heard stories about treasure on just about every barrier island. Right now in this area there is so much sand that has been deposited on the beaches that its difficult to find pop tabs from yesterday. I did well after Tammy last year. Lots of sand moved.
TX Lilsorel

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With respect to the rootsweb reference.... I'm reasionably well read concerning McIntosh County history.

Sapelo Island has always been known as Sapelo since the time the Spanish settled a mission there in the 1500s - in the neighborhood of 200 years before English influence/settlement on the Georgia coast. If my research serves me correctly, Blackbeard Island was considered a part of Sapelo until the late 1700s, well after the time Ft. King George was first built/abandoned in Darien in the 1720s. Oglethorpe recruited the Scots to resettle Darien in the 1730s, as St. Andrews Parish, to serve as a buffer between the Spanish in St. Augustine and his colony of Savannah. Fort Frederica was also built and manned on St. Simon's Island in Glynn County.

What most folks aren't aware of is the Spanish colonized most of the Georgia coast in the 1500s - St. Catherine's Island north of the Sapelo channel had a mission on it, and there were a number on the mainland here in McIntosh as well as other counties. However, due to a lack of exploitable resources (read precious metals?) and hostility of the Guale natives, most all missions in GA were abandoned in the 1600s. NO reference to treasure in any of my historical readings concerning the missions, BUT -----

There are references to the Guale natives possessing Spanish gold made by the early English. This is generally attributed to shipwreck/beach recovery, and possibly trade with natives of Florida. Archologicial study has supported this with finds made at native sites by dating finds to the times of the Spanish fleet disasters.

Nope.... I don't think there's any basis to any of the "pirate treasure" tales as known by the general public concerning the Georgia coast. However.... the possibility of unknown/documented hoards may exist.

Then we have slave smuggling, blockade running, liquor smuggling during Prohibition, and drug running going on for for the past nearly three hundred years.....

There probably is some stuff out there.....

That's why I hang out in the stacks.....

Good luck, all....

Robin

williefire

Feb 11, 2005
Statesboro Georgia
The island refered to is probably St.Catherines Island which , if you dont know how to get in and out in the Inlet, you will sink. The inlet is Mcqueens inlet and would have been a perfect place for pirates. I'm interested now since I read the article. I'm doing some reserch now.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Williefire....

I've been and out in McQueen's Inlet more than once on a shrimp boat.

You ain't gonna sink, you'll run aground, on hard sand, and sit there and roll with the tides until the boat breaks apart. I listened to some boys loose a 45 foot boat there last year on the VHF radio while they were hollering to the Coast Guard to rescue them during a nor'easter.... (USCG did). We don't have rocks and shoals here consisting of rock, and the water isn't deep. If you run aground on an out-going tide, you may be stuck there until the next spring tide. That usually takes about two weeks.

Anchorage is minimumal -- it's shallow, and all charts from the early 1800s depict it as so ~ no room to swing and tact, no nothing for sailing vessals of the porportions of the old time vessils to do their thing swinging and working the tides.

Next.........

I'm a big time local history buff ~~ still NO reference to a "McIntosh Island" in the stacks.

"Bloodthirsty" should have been a clue.... sensationsational journalisism should be a clue.

Robin

gadget1961

Greenie
Feb 1, 2005
ga.
Detector(s) used
minelab 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i have read all the posts and some "yes" some "no" are real and so forth. Willie has the thing going research, i look at pictures and maps, i have a map showing where all the ship wrecks are and looking at them following the curant of the ocean and where its shallow and deep, the beach was not where it is as it was out further in the ocean, you know "beach erosion" why would they bury their loot unless they where going into town. and how did the use the loot , which i mean gold candle holders and jewels trade? You never know i know by studying where the gold coins are and have been found, now i need a boat to get their , its private island and some tall talking might get on it? Thats all i know as others have more stories , everyone is different but we are all trying to find the same thing happy hunting and be safe, and be Happy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread