Places you cannot hunt

throwedmind

Jun 18, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the link and found the places that allow MDing but could not find how much the permits are? Anyone know?

kc7rad

Nov 13, 2005
How about rural public beaches off the Mississippi and beaches of the rural lakes that feed into the river? Private beaches are obviously off limits without permission. What about smaller tributary streams? One thing I read stated that streams are public (i.e. you can canoe on them with no problem) but another stated small streams are private property. By 'small stream' I mean one that has a name on the maps and is navigable by at least a canoe.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
How about rural public beaches off the Mississippi and beaches of the rural lakes that feed into the river? Private beaches are obviously off limits without permission. What about smaller tributary streams? One thing I read stated that streams are public (i.e. you can canoe on them with no problem) but another stated small streams are private property. By 'small stream' I mean one that has a name on the maps and is navigable by at least a canoe.

Hey rad I've paddled a lot of rural streams and the last thing you want is to stir up somebody's cows without them knowing you were going to be there. Yeah a few trips have been broken up by folks who had okay stretches and no-go stretches running through their property on those very small feeder streams. No biggie unless you know there's a valid point of interest along one of those stretches.

Doesn't do a lot of good to hit the uninteresting stretches unless you just want to go paddling where no one else has.

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about WILL county.. are the perserves off limits? i looked on the WCFPD and couldnt find anything on metal detecting? Thanks- Rob

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My yard, My neighbors yards cause I have hunted them already.

Any place I planted a large brass planchet that says " If found metal detecting call ######## for 2 silver dimes "

Last edited:

rlieson1

Oct 19, 2011
Downers Grove,Il
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i..Fisher F75 LTD....Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What hurts everyone are the people that go detecting with these shovels instead of smaller digging tools and they leave these large craters that never really heal well.Also the shows like American digger I think they call it. Too many amateurs out there make it bad for the hobby.

MadJack

Sep 13, 2004
West central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440 & 540,Explorer II,SE Pro,Whites Eagle II SL 90,Wilson R & C II,Millennium Baron and Compass 77 auto legend project
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No metal detecting allowed in Bushnell,Illinois. KAREN/s seen to that.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What hurts everyone are the people that go detecting with these shovels instead of smaller digging tools and they leave these large craters that never really heal well.Also the shows like American digger I think they call it. Too many amateurs out there make it bad for the hobby.

I think if you use a spade the right way you leave less damage than a smaller tool. You make a large divot easy to put back in place. But in some areas the optics of a large digging tool may draw too much attention. All depends on how neat of a digger you are, with any tool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread