djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, figure out what town your going to and find the local prospecting shop. Stop by there, they'll have all the info you need, including starter kits and places to go.

Good luck!! There's lots of gold in Cali.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado and made regular trips to the South Platte River where I learned to pan for gold. I normally panned enough dust to pay for my gas their and back. I got a decent nugget once and had it made into a necklace.

All I used is a pan (the green one with ridges) and a sniffer bottle to suck up the dust in. It's a good hobby.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Why not practice in your own back yard ?

Google Pennsylvania gold prospecting - there appears to be quite a few places right there taht gold has been found in streams and the like

Diggem'

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The winter can be pretty brisk in Cal's gold rush country. I would agree that you might want to practice a bit and when you do go hit the local prospector shop. Pretty much every little town has one. You might also want to get all of your equiptment before you go. It can get a bit pricy through the gold country.
Deepsix

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practce first with a Garrett gold pan and some bird shot in the pan with dirt. Count the shot before adding and see how many you can retain. You might find the GPAA prospecting site useful.http://www.goldprospectors.org/http://www.goldprospectors.org/ They have videos to teach you panning, high banking, the whole bit. It's lots of fun and many have done well with finding good sized nuggets. Even if you don't, it's better that watching sports on the boob tube.

Have fun and tell us about it.

Sandman

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to check out one of the prospecting TV shows on the Outdoor Channel. There are a couple of organizations that lease land all along the streams in gold country and a lot of people get involved. You can join one of them and probably get all the information you need. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions