Platinum Dragon Head Fossil

Shanghaied

Feb 2, 2022
20220206_053405.jpg
This Platinum/Gold Dragon Fossil was found in WV.It even looks like the Dragon on the Winter Olympics Commercial!It has finely disseminated veins of PT/Au/Ag
20220206_053126.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's okay to be jealous...Jesus still loves you!
Come on Shanghied,lay off the guff man,we,ve had a good time with this,at least I have.Some much needed laughs for me about the Dragons and even got Redcoat in on the fun. Let it go at that.like they said,there,s a bunch of claims on here as to various claims on found rocks,without some proof that it,s actually as claimed it,s still a rock. The guys who doubt your rock actually have many years at what they do and are very knowledgeable when they speak. I know there,s not actually any Dragons,but it,s fun to play with it.

Upvote 4

Ninotek

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I wanted to reach out and say something in regards to this specimen. 1. I am not trying to take away from or start an argument in any way. 2. This is neither a gold/platinum specimen nor a sea dragon fossil.

This is what we call an iron ball. While it is really old it's hardly a valuable specimen. I Iive in the tri state area of pa, wv and oh and have found several specimens exactly like this or similar to the one posted.

It gets your blood pumping when you first find them because the lightning bolt streaking platinum color and the gold colored veins running through the specimen really do make you question whether or not it has value.

Unfortunately the composition of these specimens is as follows:

Cobalt, tungsten, zircon, chalcopyrite, iron, zinc and nickel.

The zircon crystals are beautiful and look like platinum colored pyrite crystals but when mixed with large amounts of nickel form streaks that resemble platinum veins. These actually were once the organic material of leaves compounded together in clay.

Even though your images arent the best as far as zooming goes.. I can see it well enough to know exactly what it is you have.

Organic material likely from the Pennsylvania period that rolled up into a ball catch of clay and sediment and ended up fossilizing over time.

Most are found in the coal seams of the coal mines at around 800-1200 ft and due to the nickel content alot of people mistake them for valuable meteorites as well.

While I haven't taken the time to snap photos to show you some of mine.. I can and will do so if my information doesn't seem suitable. I do wish you had a 'sea dragon head's' fossil made up of platinum and gold... However this is not one of them.

Best regards.

Upvote 3

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 49 years young and I started panning&prospecting 23 years ago after I was out deer hunting and sat down on a pile of Crystal!
No disrespect. Made me giggle! Around here if you'd said you sat on a pile of crystal, you'd be every tweekers best buddy! Made my day!

Upvote 2

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your the luckiest guy on the planet....I can only imagine what it would be like to find the first platinum,and gold dragon head fossil !! Your probably gonna be real famous and rich....how many dollars do you think its worth ? I'm really surprised your not on the national news yet....congrats on your fossil dragon head made of platinum and gold....silly me for thinking dragons were fantasy !!

Upvote 3

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I wanted to reach out and say something in regards to this specimen. 1. I am not trying to take away from or start an argument in any way. 2. This is neither a gold/platinum specimen nor a sea dragon fossil.

This is what we call an iron ball. While it is really old it's hardly a valuable specimen. I Iive in the tri state area of pa, wv and oh and have found several specimens exactly like this or similar to the one posted.

It gets your blood pumping when you first find them because the lightning bolt streaking platinum color and the gold colored veins running through the specimen really do make you question whether or not it has value.

Unfortunately the composition of these specimens is as follows:

Cobalt, tungsten, zircon, chalcopyrite, iron, zinc and nickel.

The zircon crystals are beautiful and look like platinum colored pyrite crystals but when mixed with large amounts of nickel form streaks that resemble platinum veins. These actually were once the organic material of leaves compounded together in clay.

Even though your images arent the best as far as zooming goes.. I can see it well enough to know exactly what it is you have.

Organic material likely from the Pennsylvania period that rolled up into a ball catch of clay and sediment and ended up fossilizing over time.

Most are found in the coal seams of the coal mines at around 800-1200 ft and due to the nickel content alot of people mistake them for valuable meteorites as well.

While I haven't taken the time to snap photos to show you some of mine.. I can and will do so if my information doesn't seem suitable. I do wish you had a 'sea dragon head's' fossil made up of platinum and gold... However this is not one of them.

Best regards.
Very interesting and informative.Thank you!

Upvote 1
T

tigerpoke

What the?
Did no one else have a problem with this person 1) having a racially offensive user name, and 2) making insulting political comments? I’m still new here, but I didn’t join for the political commentary. I joined because you all looked like a fun group that was welcoming.

Upvote 0

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did no one else have a problem with this person 1) having a racially offensive user name, and 2) making insulting political comments? I’m still new here, but I didn’t join for the political commentary. I joined because you all looked like a fun group that was welcoming.
Didn,t seem like Shanghied was offensive,certainly not radically so,not racial in any way I can see. We did have fun with the thread. If you don,t like a particular thread or comment just skip over it. That,s what most people do.

Upvote 2

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn,t seem like Shanghied was offensive,certainly not radically so,not racial in any way I can see. We did have fun with the thread. If you don,t like a particular thread or comment just skip over it. That,s what most people do.
I just saw this. I thought someone thought tigerpoke was offensive. As a SUPPORTING member of PETA I think any name indicating cruelty to animals is offensive. And that remark about Obama dragon queen was uncalled for too. Obama is a big enough idiot and crook without using unnesarry name calling. We need to stop that. And be respective of women and men.

Upvote 2

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw this. I thought someone thought tigerpoke was offensive. As a SUPPORTING member of PETA I think any name indicating cruelty to animals is offensive. And that remark about Obama dragon queen was uncalled for too. Obama is a big enough idiot and crook without using unnesarry name calling. We need to stop that. And be respective of women and men.
AHHHHHAHAHAHA!!! That,s a good one Trav. You,ve out done yourself.:laughing7:
:laughing7::laughing7::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright::happy3::happy3::happy3:

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread