Platinum Nuggets (PGMs)

SnowdogAk20

May 3, 2021
Palmer, Alaska
Detector(s) used
I've used a Fisher Gold Bug II, though now I have a cheaper Garrett model.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across these guys yesterday...

20220814_230022.jpg

20220814_230001.jpg

20220814_203120.jpg

20220814_203039.jpg

20220814_203016.jpg

20220814_202723.jpg

20220814_202650.jpg

Upvote 3

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
What tests have you done to determine that you have what you state?
Yeah, some Platinum small, no big bits, were recorded here where I am. In the early SD 2000 days I think, may have, but may have not found some, perhaps found some small ones. As I did detect a bit in the areas I later found out very small ones were recorded. Im not saying I found any, but I did find some odd nugget looking bits say the size of a 1 gram nugget that I discarded because I was just 100% after gold. If it wasnt gold colour I turffed them. I now think, I should not have. Maybe none were Plat, but iv not found anything like that since. The area was Cockatoo Bush not far from Dunolly. Where some small ones were early days found. Would not make me rich size wise but I wish id kept them regardless. 😕 In hindsight!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, some Platinum small, no big bits, were recorded here where I am. In the early SD 2000 days I think, may have, but may have not found some, perhaps found some small ones. As I did detect a bit in the areas I later found out very small ones were recorded. Im not saying I found any, but I did find some odd nugget looking bits say the size of a 1 gram nugget that I discarded because I was just 100% after gold. If it wasnt gold colour I turffed them. I now think, I should not have. Maybe none were Plat, but iv not found anything like that since. The area was Cockatoo Bush not far from Dunolly. Where some small ones were early days found. Would not make me rich size wise but I wish id kept them regardless. 😕 In hindsight!
I read many years ago in hte gold rushes of British Columbia that there was this strange heavy material clogging up the sluices. They discarded it as well.

Hope that the OP will answer the test query. Amazing find once again. (cough)

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
I read many years ago in hte gold rushes of British Columbia that there was this strange heavy material clogging up the sluices. They discarded it as well.

Hope that the OP will answer the test query. Amazing find once again. (cough)
Hi mate. I have in the back of my mind what I recall as a true story.
I am not sure where it was. But this. In some country, there was a story of gold dust sold to buyers. And that, I have a little bit of recall, India, Pakistan!? Maybe!? That people collected the sludge from the streets from fine gold and made a living out of it! I am 100% sure it is true but am not 100% sure of which country. It in my mind is several and the story I saw, watched was true!

OP
OP
SnowdogAk20

SnowdogAk20

May 3, 2021
Palmer, Alaska
Detector(s) used
I've used a Fisher Gold Bug II, though now I have a cheaper Garrett model.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Do you have anything to size reference to them too in a picture? Like bits of gold next to?

Hey Chilli,

I'll work on it today sometime. Silver is almost half the weight of Au, and also nearly twice the size at the molecular scale. Moreover in a placer system it doesn't just sink to the bottom, it'll tend to stay on top. As for the Platinum, it's from flood deposits. It turns out where I'm at is an Ag/Pt deposit with gold being secondary. The bulk of which is occurring in the silver.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi mate. I have in the back of my mind what I recall as a true story.
I am not sure where it was. But this. In some country, there was a story of gold dust sold to buyers. And that, I have a little bit of recall, India, Pakistan!? Maybe!? That people collected the sludge from the streets from fine gold and made a living out of it! I am 100% sure it is true but am not 100% sure of which country. It in my mind is several and the story I saw, watched was true!
I imagine that this would have been amazing to see.
Hydro washing hillsides down. Getting all the gold?
I think that it wasn't achieved.
1660571813388.png

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Hey Chilli,

I'll work on it today sometime. Silver is almost half the weight of Au, and also nearly twice the size at the molecular scale. Moreover in a placer system it doesn't just sink to the bottom, it'll tend to stay on top. As for the Platinum, it's from flood deposits. It turns out where I'm at is an Ag/Pt deposit with gold being secondary. The bulk of which is occurring in the silver.
Hi. It would be interesting to see the outcome.
I really wish I had kept the bits I found instead of stupidly discarding them.
I am almost certain, as I started in the mid 90s, I found small, no big bits, but small meteorites and turfed them as iron junk. It wasn't until yrs later i actually saw some meteorites that others found that I realised, I may have and probably did as they looked exactly like I had found, threw them away!
Hang onto everything you get, until 100% certain you know what it is.
Live n learn!
Good luck. I hope its the real deal.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
I imagine that this would have been amazing to see.
Hydro washing hillsides down. Getting all the gold?
I think that it wasn't achieved.
View attachment 2041658
Hey Pepper. That went on a lot near me. In Castlemaine Victoria.
Many hills that looked bare to bedrock! But when the SD 2100 came out, with the little 8" mono, as I was living right near there I hit those areas. Its was signal after signal in the what looked like bare rock, slate. Ok, they were mostly small from say .1 up to a gram or so, best was 1/2 oz. . But wow! It was nuts that there were hundreds of bits in what looked like bare ground. And soft too. Took nothing to get em out. Once I had some guys drive past me laughing seeing me detecting bare smooth slate and sandstone! I waved, they laughed. They had no idea that there was good gold in the closed up crevices I was getting and thought I was an idiot 😆
I worked the area for 3 weeks. I still have a nice speci from there I kept as a momento. It was from the famous Daisy Hill area in Central Victoria, just like Castlemaine. Ill post a picture of it tomorrow. Glad they didn't stop 😁👍

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Hey Pepper. That went on a lot near me. In Castlemaine Victoria.
Many hills that looked bare to bedrock! But when the SD 2100 came out, with the little 8" mono, as I was living right near there I hit those areas. Its was signal after signal in the what looked like bare rock, slate. Ok, they were mostly small from say .1 up to a gram or so, best was 1/2 oz. . But wow! It was nuts that there were hundreds of bits in what looked like bare ground. And soft too. Took nothing to get em out. Once I had some guys drive past me laughing seeing me detecting bare smooth slate and sandstone! I waved, they laughed. They had no idea that there was good gold in the closed up crevices I was getting and thought I was an idiot 😆
I worked the area for 3 weeks. I still have a nice speci from there I kept as a momento. It was from the famous Daisy Hill area in Central Victoria, just like Castlemaine. Ill post a picture of it tomorrow. Glad they didn't stop 😁👍
This is the bit I got that day they drove past. 20g all up, 1/2 oz gold.
Took about 10 minutes or so to knock it out from what looked like smooth bedrock.
IMG_20220817_173346_464~2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread