Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The weather was just too nice today for Nov. Skipped out of work early and headed back to the park. Had a fun day! My hubby had to show me up again with another Barber dime. He also found a neat belt buckle (the pennies are 1978s) and a compact with the state of Illinois on it. I gotta wonder why you would put 70s pennies in a belt buckle? I found a wheatie, a small pillbox with a mirror inside, an aluminum Breck shampoo cap and a round ball of some sort. Also found 2 more of these little lead rectangles. What are these?? We have found at least couple dozen in the areas we find the most old coins and bullets. All the exact same size. Bob thinks they were thrown out there to deter metal detectorists? If so, it's not working! I would sure like to know what they could be. Got any ideas? Hope you all had a great day!

Attachments

• 20211116_201855.jpg
    20211116_201855.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20211116_203221.jpg
    20211116_203221.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20211116_201827.jpg
    20211116_201827.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 16

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather was just too nice today for Nov. Skipped out of work early and headed back to the park. Had a fun day! My hubby had to show me up again with another Barber dime. He also found a neat belt buckle (the pennies are 1978s) and a compact with the state of Illinois on it. I gotta wonder why you would put 70s pennies in a belt buckle? I found a wheatie, a small pillbox with a mirror inside, an aluminum Breck shampoo cap and a round ball of some sort. Also found 2 more of these little lead rectangles. What are these?? We have found at least couple dozen in the areas we find the most old coins and bullets. All the exact same size. Bob thinks they were thrown out there to deter metal detectorists? If so, it's not working! I would sure like to know what they could be. Got any ideas? Hope you all had a great day!
Nice haul Lenrac! Time spent Metal Detecting doesn,t count toward your 3 score and 10. I,ve seen those little lead squares used as old time tire balancing weights,had an adhesive backing.Don,t know if that,s what yours are,but it,s a guess.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
L

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul Lenrac! Time spent Metal Detecting doesn,t count toward your 3 score and 10. I,ve seen those little lead squares used as old time tire balancing weights,had an adhesive backing.Don,t know if that,s what yours are,but it,s a guess.
Any guesses are helpful! Thanks! We've been finding them on hills in the woods. I'm not sure they are big enough but I know very little about old time tires!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait a minute. You husband is using a Nox 800 and you are using an old White's Coinmaster? No wonder he is finding the Barber dimes...and you're not. Tell hubby you need an upgrade! A Nox 600 would be nice.

OP
OP
L

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait a minute. You husband is using a Nox 800 and you are using an old White's Coinmaster? No wonder he is finding the Barber dimes...and you're not. Tell hubby you need an upgrade! A Nox 600 would be nice.
Lol! I need to update that! I got an Apex. Saving up for a Nox. I do love that Coinmaster though! He is sold on the Nox and I see why. He is much more thorough than me and that probably matters. I'm willy nilly all over the place.

Last edited:

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Playing hookie beats the heck out of working :) Cool finds all around and love that silver! That's the best looking Barber dime I have seen come out of the ground. Looks uncirculated. wtg

OP
OP
L

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Playing hookie beats the heck out of working :) Cool finds all around and love that silver! That's the best looking Barber dime I have seen come out of the ground. Looks uncirculated. wtg
Thanks! We've pulled about 2 dozen Barber dimes out of this park this year and they have all been in really good condition. The nickles and pennies, not so good.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a hem or curtain weight? Usually, they have a hole in the middle, but, maybe some don't?

OP
OP
L

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. That Barber dime really pops! Such great condition! Congrats!
Thanks! It was a nice find!
Maybe a hem or curtain weight? Usually, they have a hole in the middle, but, maybe some don't?
I was thinking that too but all I could find online had the holes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread