Please be CAREFUL !!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct!! 30 some years ago a detecting buddy and I went to hunt some woods in the fall. While walking through the woods we came on a spot with a bunch of apples on the ground, no apple trees anywhere near there. I realized it was deer bait and deer hunting season was on and having no safety clothes with us we sang the whole time we detected. I got hoarse after a couple hours but at least we didn't attract any projectiles. Making noise like singing is good also besides wearing safety orange.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shared a field with goose hunters the other day.
The fellow said I'd be ok along the road side of he field.
I said if you can hit me from the back field "I want to buy one of those shotguns"
I crossed to the other permission just to be friendly.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In my opinion, deer hunting should be restricted to bow and arrow.
That would eliminate the potential gun problem; and make deer hunting more of a sport versus target practicing.
Don...
I think I still would wear red:
"If you don't care about hitting a target, a powerful modern crossbow can shoot as far as 500 yards. If you want to hunt, up to 80 yards is possible for a very skilled shooter, however you should stick to a maximum of 60 yards, and preferably much less than that (30-35) if you are a beginner."

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pepperj, why do they like hanging around my cars so much? That one from a few weeks ago, a doe, I drive up my driveway, she's right behind the house and I thought "what is that cow doing there?"

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would eliminate the potential gun problem; and make deer hunting more of a sport versus target practicing.
Don...

out here in the country deer need to be thinned out , they destroy crops and cars . deer are getting hit every day here and cost people plenty of money . wear the blaze orange , have permission to be on the land you're detecting and all is good. if it were only bow the deer population would be out of control . the game biologist set the limits and keep the herd in check.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pepperj, why do they like hanging around my cars so much? That one from a few weeks ago, a doe, I drive up my driveway, she's right behind the house and I thought "what is that cow doing there?"
Had them lick the road salts off the tires before.
They know nobody is going to pop them hanging beside your ride Smokey.
That or they been listening to the other critters, chickens, content cats, they just know.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don...
Deer in Ohio need to be thinned down . 2 weeks ago i was riding with a friend and he hit a GIANT BUCK doing $8,000 damage tgo his vehicke, 2 days later 2 miles from that spot layid another deer. Then the nextr day i came close to hitng a decent size buck

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Gare....I shouldn't wear this outfit while metal detecting the woods up in Ohio....?
Screenshot_20221128-211921_Google.jpg

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice Gare. When I camp up here during hunting season, I never stray too far from camp. I'll visit with hunters sometimes, a lot of them from Texas, and it's nice to talk to a normal person for a change.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Ohio deer hunting is restricted to shotgun only. They have a black powder season too. My younger brother was an avid deer hunter in Ohio & took some nice ones. Some big deer are in Ohio.
No it is not shotguns only you can use a rifle as long as the cartridge is a straight case .
I myself would not venture in the woods during gun season. in Ohio. The season is a short one and i myself would hate ruining someone one elses hunt . I can stay out of the woods. I just try and respect other peoples rights, Besides we need to eliminate some deer. There is dead deer laying all over along the roads in Ohio. Two weeks ago me and a buddy was headed to Canton Ohio and a GIANT BUCK jumkped in front of us doing over 8,000 dollars damage and the deer escaped . I am sure it probabl died . I wend back the next day and looked for it with a drone but no luck !

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good lord! Deer are so thick where I live you can't drive anywhere without seeing one. Someone should start a venison market, and thin out the does too. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing them in the back 40 but they are all over the place and seem to delight in jumping in front of a car to say "BOO"!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread