gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming back from a restaurant last night, only about three miles away and coming home a dang deer crossed between two oncoming cars and stuck his head in front of me and I whacked it good. I was only going 40 and the critter took out my headlight, left front fender and hood, couple thou in damage, don't have collision. It is no longer legal to discharge a firearm in my county and although bow hunting is allowed there are few hunters and the deer are heavily overpopulated. Deer fell in the other lane and was tapped by another car going the other way but did not damage the other car and deer struggled it's way onto the shoulder and died. They really should get some experienced shotgun hunters and thin out the population. 1/3 of this county is wooded and fields parkland with no hunting allowed and they just procreate and spread into the neighborhoods and roads. Oh, and those fancy xenon headlights are nice at night but a new one for my car is over $1200 for the whole assembly and mine is shattered!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coming back from a restaurant last night, only about three miles away and coming home a dang deer crossed between two oncoming cars and stuck his head in front of me and I whacked it good. I was only going 40 and the critter took out my headlight, left front fender and hood, couple thou in damage, don't have collision. It is no longer legal to discharge a firearm in my county and although bow hunting is allowed there are few hunters and the deer are heavily overpopulated. Deer fell in the other lane and was tapped by another car going the other way but did not damage the other car and deer struggled it's way onto the shoulder and died. They really should get some experienced shotgun hunters and thin out the population. 1/3 of this county is wooded and fields parkland with no hunting allowed and they just procreate and spread into the neighborhoods and roads. Oh, and those fancy xenon headlights are nice at night but a new one for my car is over $1200 for the whole assembly and mine is shattered!
New York has some idiotic gun laws. Without natural predators deer will overpopulate quickly.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what the Deer did to my friends CAR !!! I was setting to the passenger seat
Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 16-39-25 Photo - Google Photos.png

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn...I'd have had to change my britches after that one..
sSig_aaarggh.gif

Back about '95 another trucker and I were running up through Nevada
on Hwy. 376. We both were pulling flatbed's, and 376 is a hwy. where
you can pretty much turn it loose on the hundred miles between
Tonopah and Austin..so, yeah..we were hauling arse (90 mph.+).

We were just about to the turnoff for Round Mountain, BS'ing on the CB
when the other driver (1/4 mile in front of me) says "Oh $hit!!", and all I
see are brake lights, blood and pieces of his front end flying back at me.

I hit my brakes hard enough to stop before I joined the mess, and ran
up to what was left of his International conventional. He was ok, but
had a couple small cuts on his face from the glass.

We had come around a curve, and a full grown steer was standing right in the middle of the road. He had no way to void it, so he hit it right in the middle of the grill. By some miracle, he got it stopped and kept it straight. His tractor, however, was absolutely totaled..pieces of front end were everywhere, and it looked like a bomb had blown it to hell and back.

After the initial impact, the steer went under the truck, taking out
the fuel crossover line and two brake chambers...looked more like
hamburger than a cow.

Glad you're both OK!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dizzy Great story thanks for the reply !! Was the cattle owner ever found and help accountable

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
in Nevada I watch for horses and donkeys.... those buggers are everywhere, and they get really pissed off if you get too close to their harem.

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since 1992 I have hit 40 deer. Nobody has hit more deer than I have. I have had them hit everywhere on a vehicle except the back. I hit 6 in 2020, which broke my old record of 4 in a year, which I did in 1994 and 2007. I have a $1500 grill guard on the front of my Freightliner which pays for itself every time I hit a deer. Or did, since I retired and sold my truck last year. I also hunted deer and shot over 30 before I quit hunting in 2005. This all took place in Iowa.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
so.... 70 deer all in Iowa?.... Does that mean deer are endangered in Iowa now?

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since 1992 I have hit 40 deer. Nobody has hit more deer than I have. I have had them hit everywhere on a vehicle except the back. I hit 6 in 2020, which broke my old record of 4 in a year, which I did in 1994 and 2007. I have a $1500 grill guard on the front of my Freightliner which pays for itself every time I hit a deer. Or did, since I retired and sold my truck last year. I also hunted deer and shot over 30 before I quit hunting in 2005. This all took place in Iowa.
WOW !!! Dieselfool you bring a new meaning to the term DEERSLAYER !!! Glad your still with us and thanks for your input !!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I worked a job in Texas years ago and spent time in the Hill Country. Nearly every pickup had a grill guard on it up there. Deer strikes were the norm.

Last edited:

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wanting, but never remember to grab it, to put my gopro on a dash mount to catch all the wildlife I dodge or come close to hitting. Then post it to see all the, oh my poor critter, oh did you stop and help, how could you do that, type of stuff🤘🤣😂🤣

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dizzy Great story thanks for the reply !! Was the cattle owner ever found and help accountable

There are free range cattle all over that area, so the Sheriff probably
had to try and find a brand on what was left of the hide.

Guess I was lucky (or extra careful)...in my 10 years of long-haul, other
than a flying pheasant, I never hit an animal. Many, many close calls,
but somehow I managed to slide by them all.

As a driver trainer, I always told my students that, in the event a deer
(etc) runs in front of the truck, never do an emergency swerve to avoid it.
I love animals, but having a major wreck just to avoid a deer is not
worth the risk involved.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are free range cattle all over that area, so the Sheriff probably
had to try and find a brand on what was left of the hide.

Guess I was lucky (or extra careful)...in my 10 years of long-haul, other
than a flying pheasant, I never hit an animal. Many, many close calls,
but somehow I managed to slide by them all.

As a driver trainer, I always told my students that, in the event a deer
(etc) runs in front of the truck, never do an emergency swerve to avoid it.
I love animals, but having a major wreck just to avoid a deer is not
worth the risk involved.
This is a GREAT REPLY and GREAT INFORMATION !!!
THANKS Dizzy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread