Please help id axe

Stormesweet

Greenie
Jan 24, 2022
Found last month in a northern MN field
last month, right before they temp went below zero. I believe the area has been home to Chippewa, Ojibwa, Dakota.

I've looked at Overstreet and all over the net but can't find examples of an axe like this, so any info will be greatly appreciated.

The most notable thing about this axe is its faceted surfaces, each one distinctively finished by either pecking, grinding, or flaking. I've never seen an axe with all these techniques visible. The facets are of varying thickness, cleverly designed to deliver forc 20220125_204053_HDR~2.jpg e without damaging the axe or making it heavy. It's comfortable to grip as a hand axe, but does anyone know if these were also hafted into tomahawks?

So many questions!

Attachments

• 20220125_202604_HDR~2.jpg
    20220125_202604_HDR~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • 20220125_202654_HDR~2.jpg
    20220125_202654_HDR~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
  • 20220125_203931_HDR~2.jpg
    20220125_203931_HDR~2.jpg
    672.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220125_203655_HDR~2.jpg
    20220125_203655_HDR~2.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220125_203723_HDR~2.jpg
    20220125_203723_HDR~2.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220125_203918_HDR~2.jpg
    20220125_203918_HDR~2.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20220125_202956_HDR~2.jpg
    20220125_202956_HDR~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
  • 20220125_203840_HDR~2.jpg
    20220125_203840_HDR~2.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Stormesweet

Greenie
Jan 24, 2022
... your specimen is not an artifact. It shows no modification by mans hand.
Your in a good area to find good stuff, keep looking...

Attachments

• 20220125_202417_HDR.jpg
    20220125_202417_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've looked at Overstreet and all over the net but can't find examples of an axe like this, so any info will be greatly appreciated.
Not to burst your bubble but the reason you can't find an example like this is because none exists. Fat is correct. There is no pecking, grinding nor flaking by human hands evident on this piece. It is a naturally formed rock and nothing more.

OP
OP
S

Stormesweet

Greenie
Jan 24, 2022
Well, now that my disappointment is under control, I wanted to write back to let you know that I sincerely appreciate the time and thought you put into answering my question about my rock. I imagine knowledgeable people like you are swamped with noobs like me getting mad. The truth is a bummer sometimes, but I'd rather hear that.

OP
OP
S

Stormesweet

Greenie
Jan 24, 2022
Not to burst your bubble but the reason you can't find an example like this is because none exists. Fat is correct. There is no pecking, grinding nor flaking by human hands evident on this piece. It is a naturally formed rock and nothing more.
Thank you for explaining the reasons why this isn't an axe. Your comment makes me realize that it's important for me to see irl examples of pecking/flaking/grinding. I'd rather my bubble is burst than to go on being happy and wrong lol.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You took these negative responses pretty well. That rarely happens when people have made up their mind about what they think they have. I'm glad to see you are receptive and open minded about it. Thank you. No one here will intentionally steer you wrong regarding Native American artifacts (Afterthought: with a couple of exceptions:pain10:). Check out the "sticky note" about collective experience among the members here. We have more than 2500 years under our belts--likely much more.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for checking my find out and taking time to give me your honest assessment. It's crazy how potent mother nature combined with a little bit of knowledge can be in my hopeful mind.
Welcome to TreasureNet..

Unlike some, you have an open mind and are willing to learn, some will argue till the cows come home that a natural stone is an artifact because of how it fits their hand, refusing to understand it is the marvel of the human hand that makes a rock fit the hand, not the rock, or that it is their imagination and pareidolia that makes them believe it is a face or animal in that natural formed rock.

Stick around and you will learn a lot...

OP
OP
S

Stormesweet

Greenie
Jan 24, 2022
You took these negative responses pretty well. That rarely happens when people have made up their mind about what they think they have. I'm glad to see you are receptive and open minded about it. Thank you. No one here will intentionally steer you wrong regarding Native American artifacts (Afterthought: with a couple of exceptions:pain10:). Check out the "sticky note" about collective experience among the members here. We have more than 2500 years under our belts--likely much more.

Thanks! But I didn't take anyone's comment as negative. I asked for help in id-ing my find and that's what it got, so I'm cool with what I was told.

OP
OP
S

Stormesweet

Greenie
Jan 24, 2022
Welcome to TreasureNet..

Unlike some, you have an open mind and are willing to learn, some will argue till the cows come home that a natural stone is an artifact because of how it fits their hand, refusing to understand it is the marvel of the human hand that makes a rock fit the hand, not the rock, or that it is their imagination and pareidolia that makes them believe it is a face or animal in that natural formed rock.

Stick around and you will learn a lot...
Thanks for the welcome! As I mentioned before, I've been lurking this site before posting so I knew there are knowledgeable people here. I'm definitely willing to learn from everyone - cuz I'm obsessed!

Truth be told, I'm still holding out 25% hope my find is an axe. Maybe if I took better pics, everyone's verdicts would be different lol.

As soon as a museum opens /allows me to enter, I'll check out their artifacts to see irl how man-made marks look. So there is a possibility that I might post some close-ups in the future - just to make absolutely sure. (Hey, hope dies hard!)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome! As I mentioned before, I've been lurking this site before posting so I knew there are knowledgeable people here. I'm definitely willing to learn from everyone - cuz I'm obsessed!

Truth be told, I'm still holding out 25% hope my find is an axe. Maybe if I took better pics, everyone's verdicts would be different lol.

As soon as a museum opens /allows me to enter, I'll check out their artifacts to see irl how man-made marks look. So there is a possibility that I might post some close-ups in the future - just to make absolutely sure. (Hey, hope dies hard!)
What you labeled flaked is not flaked and what you have labeled as pecked and ground is not pecked or ground.

Check out this thread and see if it helps you.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know what Stormesweet? I would have picked that up and looked it over too. I got a little experience and would have figured it out, but it would have caught my eye.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your on the same track I was on, I took a lot of rocks home that were nothing when I was first getting interested. The biggest thing I looked for were rocks that weren’t like the others(hint: that doesn’t make them na) the more I took home and studied the better I was able to pick out human made objects, keep at it, keep asking and eventually the real ones will almost glow when you seem out in the dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread