🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Please help identify host rock and mineral

KushHound

Jul 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this around a friends property in central North Carolina. It looks like its containing gold but ive never seen a host rock like in the picture. I've done some tests and know it's not magnetic. I'm wondering if anyone else has an idea of what it might be or way to identify. Obviously it looks gold but I feel like I can't be too sure.
Update! I was going thru some old rocks laying around, returning them back to the woods and happened to notice this was in the toss pile. I wish I could pinpoint where I found it for obvious reasons. I would say around the Randolph county/Moore county/pisgah national forest area.

Attachments

• received_200269298867054.jpeg
    received_200269298867054.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 74
  • received_595780851732375.jpeg
    received_595780851732375.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
Low quality picture and no collection location (other than a general area), I'll get right on it. Pyrite and quartz in an iron-bearing matrix.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
K

KushHound

Jul 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low quality picture and no collection location (other than a general area), I'll get right on it. Pyrite and quartz in an iron-bearing matrix.
Low quality? It was taken with a 120mp camera lol and uploaded from a screen shot so idk. It's not magnetic and the gold piece scratches/polishes with ease. I hit it with a wire brush once and it made a powder that when streaked, streaked gold.

Upvote 0

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flash is washing out detail on the mineral in the center so its tough to say, but am I seeing some red in that one? The matrix appears to be Chert.
Take an image without the flash, maybe outside, and post it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions