PLEASE help me and my historical society identify these finds

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there everybody, been awhile since I?ve posted. And I have a bunch of finds I need to identify. And have always been blown away from the knowledge of this community. All these finds are from the same abandoned village. It was a bustling community when it was the main road between towns from 1800-1930. Once the highway was built it essentially cut off the town. That and the failed farms because of the rocky ledge not far under the soil. Spelled the end for this once populated village. There are some stone foundations left from 7 of the houses and a barn. But many were built without a cellar. Because of the ledge looming a foot down in places. 2 of these buildings without foundations I?m trying to locate now. One was the town schoolhouse and the other a store with a dancehall on the second floor. Here are the latest finds from this large area.

38638941-333B-41F9-80E1-7B35ACD20758.jpeg

7448D329-BC39-41A7-B7F5-79877A313A19.jpeg B1DD1D50-AB31-4925-81A6-89602222E81F.jpeg

B959E2E6-3E11-42CC-A40D-946A9F4CBD39.jpeg

64927AFC-8C7C-402E-ABFC-3AED9D91B071.jpeg A9A12A1F-DDFC-4433-A9C0-6D34D71C2824.jpeg DCBFF6FA-7531-498A-961C-A1A9241EDA64.jpeg

80AE47A3-1DF4-42C2-8887-FEF677685245.jpeg 18CF5051-C3BC-4B4F-894B-EAAFB57E7B0F.jpeg

E96EF472-F36C-414B-B15B-80AC5489D6C7.jpeg

Not sure if this info will help or needed but here you are.
#1 was found in the area of a woman house. It?s very thin, I think I caused the hole in the middle from brushing it. I don?t think it was there before cleaning. But there is a chance it just had dirt filling it.
#2 and #3 were in the same hole. Don?t care about #3 but thought it might help with #2
#5,#6,#8 were all in the same hole. I pretty sure they are parts of lanterns but would love any additional info if possible.
#7 and #10 were on the same lot.
#9 was found semi close to #5,#6,#8 but really deep at least a foot down. The back seems to have 4 bumps, 2 on each end. Maybe belt buckle?

I really would love any and all info that can be provided. I found this Morse Buckle shield there and after searching on here I found an absolutely incredible reply from canonballGuy.
E9E6D2F8-18C6-4E27-9459-8FB180A7A1E4.jpeg
He went on to not only identify it but provide original patent papers and an advertisement for it. I know that?s not going to be the norm. But it was so amazing. I?m creating a journal with all my finds and info like that is invaluable.

D334CF77-5403-4C79-B3A3-3ED4815BAF06.jpeg

Especially since I have become part of the local historical society and they are all very interested in finding out more about this lost town. I?ve searched over so many history books and newspaper archives. And this place is never mentioned. If it wasn?t for the old topo maps and stone foundations there. You wouldn?t know it even existed.
Thank you so much in advance for you consideration and time.

celtex

Oct 25, 2009
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there everybody, been awhile since I?ve posted. And I have a bunch of finds I need to identify. And have always been blown away from the knowledge of this community. All these finds are from the same abandoned village. It was a bustling community when it was the main road between towns from 1800-1930. Once the highway was built it essentially cut off the town. That and the failed farms because of the rocky ledge not far under the soil. Spelled the end for this once populated village. There are some stone foundations left from 7 of the houses and a barn. But many were built without a cellar. Because of the ledge looming a foot down in places. 2 of these buildings without foundations I?m trying to locate now. One was the town schoolhouse and the other a store with a dancehall on the second floor. Here are the latest finds from this large area.

View attachment 1940475

View attachment 1940476 View attachment 1940477

View attachment 1940478

View attachment 1940479 View attachment 1940480 View attachment 1940481

View attachment 1940482 View attachment 1940483

View attachment 1940484

Not sure if this info will help or needed but here you are.
#1 was found in the area of a woman house. It?s very thin, I think I caused the hole in the middle from brushing it. I don?t think it was there before cleaning. But there is a chance it just had dirt filling it.
#2 and #3 were in the same hole. Don?t care about #3 but thought it might help with #2
#5,#6,#8 were all in the same hole. I pretty sure they are parts of lanterns but would love any additional info if possible.
#7 and #10 were on the same lot.
#9 was found semi close to #5,#6,#8 but really deep at least a foot down. The back seems to have 4 bumps, 2 on each end. Maybe belt buckle?

I really would love any and all info that can be provided. I found this Morse Buckle shield there and after searching on here I found an absolutely incredible reply from canonballGuy.
View attachment 1940485
He went on to not only identify it but provide original patent papers and an advertisement for it. I know that?s not going to be the norm. But it was so amazing. I?m creating a journal with all my finds and info like that is invaluable.

View attachment 1940486

Especially since I have become part of the local historical society and they are all very interested in finding out more about this lost town. I?ve searched over so many history books and newspaper archives. And this place is never mentioned. If it wasn?t for the old topo maps and stone foundations there. You wouldn?t know it even existed.
Thank you so much in advance for you consideration and time.
7 is wick adjuster

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Item 1: a mid-to-late-1800s stamped-brass "picture button" whose shank/loop got torn off
Items 2. 3, & 4: don't know
Items 5, 6, 7, & 8: various oil-lamp wick assembly parts, notably including the wick-adjustment wheel
Item 9: an US Army Model-1826 enlisted-man's shoulderbelt plate, a.k.a. an "eagle breastplate" -- its back shows the rusted remnants of the iron wire belt-attachment loops, visible because the plate's solder (not lead) filler-metal has corroded out. Although it is a Model-1826 shoulderbelt plate, your solder-filled version was first manufactured in 1832 and continued through the civil war. See the photos below.

Info source for item #9:
"American Military Belt Plates" by Michael J. O'Donnell and J. Duncan Campbell

Attachments

• breastplate_eagle_backview_Ebay03102011.jpg
    breastplate_eagle_backview_Ebay03102011.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 53
  • breastplate_solderfiller_dug_ebay_p880.jpg
    breastplate_solderfiller_dug_ebay_p880.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY thoughts on #2, 3, and 4 are #2 is part of a light duty hasp like you would find on an old book. The sharp end would be inserted into the edge of the front cover.The missing part would have a similar plate with a loop that would go through the opening in the part you have. It would be inserted into the edge of the back cover. Then, the closed hasp could be secured by a lock. #3 looks like part of an iron buckle frame and #4 looks like part of a bolster lining to a pocket knife.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 21-57-00 Pocket Knife Parts Knife making, Knife, Knives and swords.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 21-57-00 Pocket Knife Parts Knife making, Knife, Knives and swords.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a 1965-1985 rotary phone frame. Many of these appear to be from about 1930-1960. One was a simple square/rectangle in half, a belt fastener which could be as recent as about 1990?

Upvote 0

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Max, AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5, 6, 7 and 8 are parts to a burner on a kerosene lamp.

Upvote 0

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY thoughts on #2, 3, and 4 are #2 is part of a light duty hasp like you would find on an old book. The sharp end would be inserted into the edge of the front cover.The missing part would have a similar plate with a loop that would go through the opening in the part you have. It would be inserted into the edge of the back cover. Then, the closed hasp could be secured by a lock. #3 looks like part of an iron buckle frame and #4 looks like part of a bolster lining to a pocket knife.

agreed, 4 is definitely from a pocket knife

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Item 1: a mid-to-late-1800s stamped-brass "picture button" whose shank/loop got torn off
Items 2. 3, & 4: don't know
Items 5, 6, 7, & 8: various oil-lamp wick assembly parts, notably including the wick-adjustment wheel
Item 9: an US Army Model-1826 enlisted-man's shoulderbelt plate, a.k.a. an "eagle breastplate" -- its back shows the rusted remnants of the iron wire belt-attachment loops, visible because the plate's solder (not lead) filler-metal has corroded out. Although it is a Model-1826 shoulderbelt plate, your solder-filled version was first manufactured in 1832 and continued through the civil war. See the photos below.

Info source for item #9:
"American Military Belt Plates" by Michael J. O'Donnell and J. Duncan Campbell

Seriously canonballGuy? You just made my day. Being in Maine I always thought I would have to get really lucky to find any civil war military stuff. Is there any way to narrow down the time frame on this piece. You say they started making them in 1832. Did the design and materials stay the same throughout its lifetime? supposedly another reason for people leaving this area. was all the fathers and sons went off to fight in the civil war. Then they would come back and get there families and leave for better farmland they had prospected fighting in the war. Or while being stationed in New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, etc. I have all the family names on an old topo map. So I could research who was involved in the civil war. I guess I would start with the family who’s lot I found it on. I’ll be going back to that lot tomorrow to search more. Thank you sooooooo much. You are the best.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you! I concur with the pocket knife theory after seeing that diagram.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I know that?s a shoulder belt plate. I did a little searching on here. Is the following true or is someone making stuff up?
? the "Burnside" plates were named by early hunters that hunted camps of Burnside's troops. they are slightly smaller in diameter and in the eagles talon; part of the branches look like a fish hook. it is now largely believed that they were issued to Maine troops and I guess in theory a die maker could have slipped in a fish hook. but it could just also be coincidence that it looks like a fish hook. Burnside plates are scarce; especially in non-dug condition. there are many, many die varieties of eagle plates but all the rest of these are slightly larger than the Burnside. the plate you found is not a "Burnside" plate but still a nice find.?

Have you heard of these burnside editions canonballGuy? Here is the OP http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ide-eagle-breast-plate-va-button-us-boss.html

I think mine is to worn around where the ?hook? would be to tell anyway. But saw the reference to Maine and thought that would be cool if it is true.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread