Please. Need help. Trying to find crystals with my family in Mexico

Oaxaca

Mar 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buenas dias,

My name is Denny and Iā€™m a retired American living in Mexico. Maybe better known as an Expat because Iā€™m still young. Iā€™m 32 and I live in a small poor state called OAXACA with my wife and son. I like living here because it affords me the chance to give my son everything that soo many people fight so hard to give in America. Here I do it easily. So I do my best to try and expose my son to as many things as I can. For the last few months we have been going our crystal hunting. Now Iā€™m no trained geologist, but I am an aviation engineer so I consider myself competent. I have a geological survey map of the area. And I can differentiate most rocks that crystals are common and in those that arenā€™t. And Iā€™ll be honest we havenā€™t done much digging yet. I was born in Utah and lived in Seattle for many years. Iā€™ve been a rock hound for sometime. But what most people take for granted is the large community base we have in America to find where crystal pockets are better located. Iā€™m literally fighting an uphill battle. If youā€™ve ever gone looking for a completely unexplored crystal area, you might know what Iā€™m talking about. My theory is to look for druzzy and gneiss and maybe small quartz pieces. Now I have found some things, but nothing like what Iā€™ve found in the states. Iā€™d really like to find someone who could give me a real geological type response that I can trust before I go banging my head on the rocks digging through the extremely hard soil.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your endeavours and your new life with your family.

This doesn't give you a feel for how things are 'on the ground' but the 'mindat' database is an excellent resource for checking known localities for particular minerals by geographic region:

https://www.mindat.org/loc-14688.html

You can zoom in on the map manually (and more individual localities will appear as you zoom in) or, if you click on any of the clusters or mine symbols, they keep opening up with an expanded view and further information until you reach maximum resolution.

Happy hunting.

OP
OP
O

Oaxaca

Mar 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your endeavours and your new life with your family.

This doesn't give you a feel for how things are 'on the ground' but the 'mindat' database is an excellent resource for checking known localities for particular minerals by geographic region:

https://www.mindat.org/loc-14688.html

You can zoom in on the map manually (and more individual localities will appear as you zoom in) or, if you click on any of the clusters or mine symbols, they keep opening up with an expanded view and further information until you reach maximum resolution.

Happy hunting.

E6A88243-47D4-43BC-B1AD-284F15C2250C.jpg 7DAEBBE8-9F31-4EB7-8905-35A3FE10D67F.jpg Thank you! I've tried. It is so hard. I basically know where all the mines are, but I've gone around most of them and found mostly nothing. Not what I'm looking for. My family is new to this so I teach them about all the types of rocks and we find crystals of many different types, and small and some large druzzy if we are lucky. I have geology maps which I've had better luck with than trying to follow then on MinDat. But I guess I'm just not that great with geology or I'm too used to knowing where other people found them and it's too hard to dig so many test pits and not find anything and still keep people interested who have never done it. What Im really hoping for is someone who can give me a better idea than I have where exactly I should go. I have gneiss all around me. And I've gone. But I find no points.. I have gone and looked through many types of rocks. The best luck I had was near a natural hot spring we have here. But recently the whole Pueblo is closed to public Access so I can only hunt just outside.

I really want find find atleast some type of structured crystals of any size. I really don't care at this point. But I was born in Utah and live in Seattle for many years and there is many well know UNDEPLETABLE sites there. And you come back form a day with hundreds. I'd be happy to come back with anything more than 1. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Oaxaca

Mar 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I congratulate you retiring at the ripe old age of 32 !! Well done. Some day you might share that secret.
Don....

It's all depends on what your idea of retire is. If your talking about a 401k (which isn't enough to retire on anymore anyways), then hell no. I was far from retiring. I just left. I wasn't 1000% happy with everything in my life and I made a change, I liquidated my life and I bought a new one. Now I own my house, my business, my kids go to the best schools. There's an amazing life here for people looking to be independent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread