Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Pocket Scale that displays the following symbols when the MODE key is used: g,oz,gn,dwt,ozt,ct. I know what these mean, but there is another symbol d under the display screen that is used like this: d = 0.1g

What does the d stand for ? The scale instructions don't say and it couldn't be for pennyweight, because that symbol is already addressed in the MODE selections as dwt.

Thanks for the help ! :thumbsup:

ToddB64

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Small d is deci or tenth. If da would be dika or ten. I have a book on units of measurements and I think it's amazing how many there are. Some rarely used except in specific industries. Like a hogshead (hhd) = 63 gallons or does anyone remember how long a rod is.(16.5 feet/5.0292 m.
Interesting reading if your giving to such things.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red James Cash,

Thanks, but as I indicated in my post, I know what these: g,oz,gn,dwt,ozt,ct mean.

I'm asking what the d means.

Any idea ?

Todd

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe it means -diamond weight?

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to look it up in the Random House dictionary& dwt means penny weight(s) ,but d.w.t. means deadweight tonnage.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everybody for your replies !

As mentioned in my thread starter, "What does the d stand for ? The scale instructions don't say."

So in the meantime, I've been doing more searching on the internet for a definition of the d symbol. Remember, the definition must be in context with the d used on electronic pocket scales, as it could mean something else on a different application.

Finally, I gave up on the internet after trying 6 or 8 search phrases and getting nada and called the company that made my pocket scale and discussed with them. They said the symbol d stands for resolution. Coming from a background in the metal working industry, I knew that a manufacturing tolerance was needed, so ask about this and was told + or - 0.1g.

So that answers my question ! ;D

ToddB64

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Some scales '0' with an object on the scale. Say you have a vial that holds gold. You could put it on the scale and '0' out it's weight, then fill it and just weigh the contents. Maybe that has something to do with it also. Frank...
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everybody for your replies !

As mentioned in my thread starter, "What does the d stand for ? The scale instructions don't say."

So in the meantime, I've been doing more searching on the internet for a definition of the d symbol. Remember, the definition must be in context with the d used on electronic pocket scales, as it could mean something else on a different application.

Finally, I gave up on the internet after trying 6 or 8 search phrases and getting nada and called the company that made my pocket scale and discussed with them. They said the symbol d stands for resolution. Coming from a background in the metal working industry, I knew that a manufacturing tolerance was needed, so ask about this and was told + or - 0.1g.

So that answers my question ! ;D

ToddB64

Didn't you bother to read post #4???

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't you bother to read post #4???

Hvacker,

Sorry I'm so late replying. :-[ When I first read your post #4 weeks ago, it didn't dawn on me at the time what you were getting at.

Well, I decided to get on T'Net tonight and saw your above reply, so I re-read your original reply (pasted below), gave it more thought :icon_scratch: and made a connection !

Small d is deci or tenth. If da would be dika or ten. I have a book on units of measurements and I think it's amazing how many there are. Some rarely used except in specific industries. Like a hogshead (hhd) = 63 gallons or does anyone remember how long a rod is.(16.5 feet/5.0292 m.
Interesting reading if your giving to such things.

I'm not certain about this, but perhaps you were giving me a subtle hint of resolution, by using the example of ten divided into finer divisions of tenths. An analogy would be the resolution of a TV screen being described in pixels per square inch of screen size (height x width). Depending on the resolution, each square inch of the screen would be composed of a certain number of pixels.

Anyway, thanks for your help !

Todd

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread