🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pocket Watch ID Help

ACGA

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2021
Southeast Georgia
5D7C5427-B4FB-4C9B-ACFA-B4D3D32D1D67.jpeg
Hello! This past weekend I found part of a case from a pocket watch in coastal GA. The case says “Patent Lever” followed by what I believe is “Eagle Watch Co - Dresden”. I could be misreading Eagle though. After searching online I can’t seem to find any information about this company. The case is about 2 1/8”. Does anyone have any information about the company or thoughts about the age? Thanks for any information!

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that's "Engle" not Eagle. There are several watch makers by the name of Engle, including one who built a very large clock. However based on a quick search I believe it will be Thomas Engle that you want to search on for further information.

Upvote 3

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Upvote 1
OP
OP
A

ACGA

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2021
Southeast Georgia
Thanks everyone for the replies! Been lurking for a long time but am thankful to finally have the tnet wealth of knowledge help me figure something out.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lever was the way the watch was set. Engle watches were actually made by Illinois watch Co. Cool find but not much info. The lever set watches are kinda rare.

I'm doubtful that this is from the Illinois Watch Company. They did indeed sell watches under a number of different trade names including "Engle" but as the "Engle National Watch Co." Also, why is it marked "Dresden"?

I'm also doubtful that this is from Thomas Engle but, as CoinsAndThings says, there were multiple makers with that name in operation from the late 1800s to early 1900s. Some of them were quite small and/or short-lived.

Given that the wording is in English but with a Dresden indication, I would think this was either sold by the American arm of a German producer or made in Germany but specifically for export. If that's the case and the destination market was America, it should in theory have to be prior to the McKinley Tariff Act of 1890 (fully implemented 1891)... otherwise "Dresden" would be deemed insufficient as an origin mark and should have been accompanied by the word "Germany". In 1914 there was an amendment requiring the addition of the words "Made in..." or an equivalent term but, in practice, the origin marking requirements were not always rigorously enforced until about 1921.

There was a wholesale and retail watch company in Austria using the name "Engle" but I think not before about 1901 (and becoming A.M. Engle & Co. in 1927) although I don't know if they also had an operation in Germany. There are for sure other possibilities though, and I don't think this is yet "solved", despite being tagged as such.

Last edited:
Upvote 4
OP
OP
A

ACGA

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2021
Southeast Georgia
I'm doubtful that this is from the Illinois Watch Company. They did indeed sell watches under a number of different trade names including "Engle" but as the "Engle National Watch Co." Also, why is it marked "Dresden"?

I'm also doubtful that this is from Thomas Engle but, as CoinsAndThings says, there were multiple makers with that name in operation from the late 1800s to early 1900s. Some of them were quite small and/or short-lived.

Given that the wording is in English but with a Dresden indication, I would think this was either sold by the American arm of a German producer or made in Germany but specifically for export. If that's the case and the destination market was America, it should in theory have to be prior to the McKinley Tariff Act of 1890 (fully implemented 1891)... otherwise "Dresden" would be deemed insufficient as an origin mark and should have been accompanied by the word "Germany". In 1914 there was an amendment requiring the addition of the words "Made in..." or an equivalent term but, in practice, the origin marking requirements were not always rigorously enforced until about 1921.

There was a wholesale and retail watch company in Austria using the name "Engle" but I think not before about 1901 (and becoming A.M. Engle & Co. in 1927) although I don't know if they also had an operation in Germany. There are for sure other possibilities though, and I don't think this is yet "solved", despite being tagged as such.
Back to unidentified then. That’s all great information, thank you. I’ve never had as much trouble running down information about a find, especially one that has a manufacturer (or distributor) marked on it. I’ll keep searching but the breadth of knowledge on this website is astounding. Thanks again!

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread