Point found in creek along Hiwassee River in SE Tennessee

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this today in creek on my property. Both Mississippian and Woodland cultures are documented in this area along Hiwassee River in south east Tennessee.

Any ideas on type?

IMG_7929.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7929.jpg
    IMG_7929.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 22

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once was to a small museum. There I spotten a display box with gemstone points According to the curator, Native Americans made these points for ceremonial purposes. White quartz especially, to Cherokee a stone of enlightenment. That looks about the right size for a sacred gemstone arrowhead.

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once was to a small museum. There I spotten a display box with gemstone points According to the curator, Native Americans made these points for ceremonial purposes. White quartz especially, to Cherokee a stone of enlightenment. That looks about the right size for a sacred gemstone arrowhead.
Interesting. Thanks!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love hunting Hiwassee. You find a little more white quartz up that way being closer to the gold belt. It is a very historic area. Sam Houston used to live with the Indians on the island and took a wife there. Of course the island is off limits for collectors.
I do not know the type but it was not ceremonial that I do know. I have chased a point from that area called a mouse creek. It still eludes me though. The area is loaded with artifacts that I do know.

There are many types of available material on the Hiwassee and a big source for green stone. I think they made it because they could. White Quartz is a tough material to work.

Do you have any more from your area? I would love to see them. That area is where Archie " Lecroy" and Bob Overstreet collected and hunted.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close friend lives on Mouse Creek, has a large form. He has showed me a lot of points from his place.
Also, I've seen that BEAUTIFUL quartz point you found, on up the Little "T", at the villages below Chilhowee, down to Chota and on down to the Hiwassee.
Be careful around the Island, there are cameras up.
Houston School House is near Greenback,TN. He constantly ran away from home, as a lid, to be with the Cherokee.
I knew his g-g-g aunt. She past a few years back. She had a house in Greenback, TN next to the bank.
That's why Texan's and Tennessean's got along so well, we settled Texas......mmmm smile.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been on the island but would never hunt artifacts on it. It looks like a bombing raid hit it with all the holes. I think they just had the Sand Hill crane hunt up there a few weeks ago. Had a summer place down from the island in Possum Creek so was always running into that Dallas culture. Literally in the winter in a boat you could hit the tops of all the mounds if you did not know where they were at.
Ask your friend if he if familiar with that Mouse creek point? I used to find a lot of benton bottlenecks and my best Lecroy near Hiwassee also a nice trade axe.
I think Houston like to stay drunk up on that island before they drug him off for his destiny.
Great history up your way and good fishing. I hunted it for 30 years I guess in one way or another. I also floated down the river with quiet a few deer I arrowed up there or a cooler full of crappie.
I now spend my days on Nick-a-jack and Guntersville water..fishing.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walleye & crappie were my main catch.. Guided for walleye, and never missed. 5 lb or larger , or no pay. Got a large write -up in Chattanooga paper, "things go bump in the dark, or night", been a while I'll talk to my friend soon and see what happened in the past few years we've been apart.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sam Houston spent Most of his time around Chota, Tennasee, Toqua villiges. Just a couple of miles from his "boyhood" home. Off hyw 411, 129 at Vonore, Fort Loudon area.
Houston, TX is his name sake.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He only lived on the island two years and took a wife there. Houston started drinking at age 13, jail at 14 ran away to the island and stayed drunk for those two years while reading the Liiad to the Cherokee. He was known then as the "Raven".
Friend brought me some Sandhill crane for my freezer from a hunt off the island a few weeks ago.
I used to always do the primitive hunts there. Lot of history there.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find of the white quartz point. I don't know too much about Native American artifacts, but I found one almost exactly like the one you found. We live in Georgia and our lot is atop of a hill just before our cul de sac on our street. The Alcovy river flows just behind our cul de sac. I found several points in our yard, white quartz same as yours. I was cleaning out a section of our yard where we were making a pine isle when I encountered many rocks. I believe there may have been a small village where our house sits. I found many thin slices of this quartz that were so thin it looked as if they went through a meat slicer. I figured this area is where quartz was being worked to make points, etc. I also found a rather large white quartz rock in the same area that has a good part of the center chipped out. You can make out the impression of the tool that was used to chip the quartz out of the center of this rock. I don't pretend to know a third of what a lot of you know concerning Native American artifacts, but this is what I believe I found. I saved this rock and these shardes and have them in our barn. If anyone might be interested to see these, I'd try to post some pic's.

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find of the white quartz point. I don't know too much about Native American artifacts, but I found one almost exactly like the one you found. We live in Georgia and our lot is atop of a hill just before our cul de sac on our street. The Alcovy river flows just behind our cul de sac. I found several points in our yard, white quartz same as yours. I was cleaning out a section of our yard where we were making a pine isle when I encountered many rocks. I believe there may have been a small village where our house sits. I found many thin slices of this quartz that were so thin it looked as if they went through a meat slicer. I figured this area is where quartz was being worked to make points, etc. I also found a rather large white quartz rock in the same area that has a good part of the center chipped out. You can make out the impression of the tool that was used to chip the quartz out of the center of this rock. I don't pretend to know a third of what a lot of you know concerning Native American artifacts, but this is what I believe I found. I saved this rock and these shardes and have them in our barn. If anyone might be interested to see these, I'd try to post some pic's.
Yes, please post some pics, thanks.

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love hunting Hiwassee. You find a little more white quartz up that way being closer to the gold belt. It is a very historic area. Sam Houston used to live with the Indians on the island and took a wife there. Of course the island is off limits for collectors.
I do not know the type but it was not ceremonial that I do know. I have chased a point from that area called a mouse creek. It still eludes me though. The area is loaded with artifacts that I do know.

There are many types of available material on the Hiwassee and a big source for green stone. I think they made it because they could. White Quartz is a tough material to work.

Do you have any more from your area? I would love to see them. That area is where Archie " Lecroy" and Bob Overstreet collected and hunted.

IMG_7949.jpeg

IMG_7949.jpeg
IMG_7948.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread