Point found in creek along Hiwassee River in SE Tennessee

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this today in creek on my property. Both Mississippian and Woodland cultures are documented in this area along Hiwassee River in south east Tennessee.

Any ideas on type?

IMG_7929.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7929.jpg
    IMG_7929.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 22

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today in creek on my property. Both Mississippian and Woodland cultures are documented in this area along Hiwassee River in south east Tennessee.

Any ideas on type?

View attachment 2005527
I was looking for points on the Tennessee River as a mere lad. Illegal now. I had "borrowed' a man's trot line wooden boat and paddled out to an island. Sticking out of the riverbank on island was a human hand. I told my music teacher at church, and he contacted the University of Tennessee, and they came and dug it. It was a Woodland Indian just over 2000 years old at the time. I went back to the island about 20 years later and it looked like an island of bomb craters where the graves had been dug and robbed. I wish I had never found it. I know some dig graves, or dug graves, but I do not think it is right to desecrate graves.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UTK first dug it then everyone dug it up before it was protected. Nothing but dug holes now. I wish they would grade it off flat. Hundreds of graves wash out every year along the river. I fish a lot and see lots of scattered human bones often. Sad but that river twist and changes always getting wider after TVA damned the whole valley.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UTK first dug it then everyone dug it up before it was protected. Nothing but dug holes now. I wish they would grade it off flat. Hundreds of graves wash out every year along the river. I fish a lot and see lots of scattered human bones often. Sad but that river twist and changes always getting wider after TVA damned the whole valley.
Damned the river is correct

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll try to post a few pic 's in the next few days.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Post em! Probably want to start a new thread so as not to hi-jack this one. Sounds like the rather large quartz rock you found may be a core; i.e. a parent stone.
I'm sure a lot of you here would know more about this than myself, but that is what I feel the larger stone was. Looking into the stones center you can see markings of the tool used to chip the stones center out. It looks as if it had some sort of a small pick head. I've always wanted others that know more about this than I do to see this and see if they see what I see.

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was looking for points on the Tennessee River as a mere lad. Illegal now. I had "borrowed' a man's trot line wooden boat and paddled out to an island. Sticking out of the riverbank on island was a human hand. I told my music teacher at church, and he contacted the University of Tennessee, and they came and dug it. It was a Woodland Indian just over 2000 years old at the time. I went back to the island about 20 years later and it looked like an island of bomb craters where the graves had been dug and robbed. I wish I had never found it. I know some dig graves, or dug graves, but I do not think it is right to desecrate graves.
Interesting and I agree; no digging graves.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been on the island but would never hunt artifacts on it. It looks like a bombing raid hit it with all the holes. I think they just had the Sand Hill crane hunt up there a few weeks ago. Had a summer place down from the island in Possum Creek so was always running into that Dallas culture. Literally in the winter in a boat you could hit the tops of all the mounds if you did not know where they were at.
Ask your friend if he if familiar with that Mouse creek point? I used to find a lot of benton bottlenecks and my best Lecroy near Hiwassee also a nice trade axe.
I think Houston like to stay drunk up on that island before they drug him off for his destiny.
Great history up your way and good fishing. I hunted it for 30 years I guess in one way or another. I also floated down the river with quiet a few deer I arrowed up there or a cooler full of crappie.
I now spend my days on Nick-a-jack and Guntersville water..fishing.
You are my kind of People, now ya got me wanting to see a mouse creek point. Oh and I LOVE ribeye of the sky=Sandhill Crane,,, Mmm Hmm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread