Polar Fleece for fine mineral recovery

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
Anyone using polar fleece for micro fine gold recovery? i put it at the end of new boxes(commercial size) for loss indicator. have boil boxes with fleece sections at end for -200mesh captures. GOT FLEECE? hee hee- wanna fleece you. been fleeced lately? he who would pun would pick a pocket.:laughing7: black fleece in daylight is easy to spot gold, don't have to clean to see end run loss.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some will use corduroy cotton fabric. The plus side to the fabric as it can be burned when it is not longer working for them.

OP
OP
Z

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
yeppers, dry worn out fleece becomes shop rags here. good stuff for nooks and crannies, and nut threads.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeppers, dry worn out fleece becomes shop rags here. good stuff for nooks and crannies, and nut threads.
The plus side of using fleece is that it will hold up better in a washing machine to help remove the fine materials.

OP
OP
Z

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
The plus side of using fleece is that it will hold up better in a washing machine to help remove the fine materials.
?????????? I wash the bottom course in a horse trough with all the 3M mat. then hang up to dry. the ones from boil boxes get washed into a pan cause of the fines. twist and squeeze until semi-dry. don't like those to dry as flocculent gets like a powder on hands. running a 32 foot CLARKSON box. scissor style.

washing machine- you making a joke, right?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
?????????? I wash the bottom course in a horse trough with all the 3M mat. then hang up to dry. the ones from boil boxes get washed into a pan cause of the fines. twist and squeeze until semi-dry. don't like those to dry as flocculent gets like a powder on hands. running a 32 foot CLARKSON box. scissor style.

What ever works. If there is a lot some people will use a old washing machine using one or two of the cycle actions.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

If your fabric is in longer sections you should try a cement mixer as a washing machine to remove much of the fine materials.

Ask your self how much is your time worth by washing by a hand method. A cement washing machine run off of a generator for 3-6 minute per batch does not cost much in gas. The water and dirt can be pored out into any container you like for further process of the fines.

The washing machine can work well if you hand balance the fabric pieces then start the spin cycle action for drying. This depends on the size of your fabric sections.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
By the way cotton corduroy fabric has been popular for at least 120 years or so for fine material recovery in the use for boxes.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The polar fleece I looked at had a lot of nylon in its make up. Nylon is known to swell up by adsorbing water thus will swell up not allowing much fine materials past the nylon fibers. Plugging up the spacing for the fines to pass through.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The cotton fabric also adsorbs water however this mainly effects the weave and will form not to stop all of the finds getting into the weave. Making a very small pockets to hold the finds very well until you use a washing action to set loose.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On the lighter side of things I don't want to see anyone getting "Fleeced" with there project.........LOL.

One needs a laugh now and then.

OP
OP
Z

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
coming up with a lot of conjecture for something that works. it works better than anything for micro fine recovery. it just works below our boil boxes. do you run boil boxes cause i could help you design and install.
the gold from POLAR FLEECE pays my diesel bill every week. before boil boxes we cleared 21% profit after taxes. we' re over 30% now.
cement mixer would be another expense i dont need. have to have a plug to power it. i like washing mats at my age(over 60) i dont need a membership to health club. just wash the mats by hand. after loading them into kiddy pool in bed of truck. drive to shop and wash. no set up machines and extension cords. fill horse trough, add surfactant(palmolive) and make like a washing machine myself. done in 30.
thanx for idea. would be worried residual aggregate left in washer pump. have to take apart to make sure, etc. see...more work. machines cant do all the work. its mining and you have to do physical stuff. Happy Trails.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
coming up with a lot of conjecture for something that works. it works better than anything for micro fine recovery. it just works below our boil boxes. do you run boil boxes cause i could help you design and install.
the gold from POLAR FLEECE pays my diesel bill every week. before boil boxes we cleared 21% profit after taxes. we' re over 30% now.
cement mixer would be another expense i dont need. have to have a plug to power it. i like washing mats at my age(over 60) i dont need a membership to health club. just wash the mats by hand. after loading them into kiddy pool in bed of truck. drive to shop and wash. no set up machines and extension cords. fill horse trough, add surfactant(palmolive) and make like a washing machine myself. done in 30.
thanx for idea. would be worried residual aggregate left in washer pump. have to take apart to make sure, etc. see...more work. machines cant do all the work. its mining and you have to do physical stuff. Happy Trails.
Hey just about everyone has been there as far a washing mats.

Good to see that the polar fleece works and the price is right.

Exercise can be also good for one's soul and general well being.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey I sure learned something new today and is that not what this form is really about?
Thanks.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the unbacked veranda carpet, that stuff catches all the fines. I have a piece of literature that describes the use a modified OLD SKOOL washing machine to wash out carpets from the sluice of a Doodlebug dredge. When I was a kid I used burlap in my rockers and sluice so could burn it at the end of the year I never found enough fines to make it worthwhile. A good wash in a tub gets it out of the carpet.

OP
OP
Z

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
A 1,000 years ago was a kid in colorado and played on the remains of a doodle bug. short story, my first tetanus shot.
Remember some commercial dryers that were used to remove magnetics by a guy that invented putting sluices under shaker decks in gravel pits. Fred Dodge got his first pits in co. from that company.
New one or name; unbacked veranda carpet. Is that outdoor carpet? the green stuff; light green woven cotton mom put by sliding glass door on the deck. Have used a lot of old stuff like burlap and Corduroy to experiment and the feed bag material. But they all lifted when riffles got warped.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread