poll for Legend Users

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
For all you legend users, does not matter if you have done the 1.09 update or not. Have you noticed a problem with the TDI numbers?
Most of you will think I am full of crap, but this is what I have noticed.

THESE numbers are fictional but very close to the truth.

1st if there is more than 1 coin, say a quarter and a dime close to each other, the legend will only find 1 target until you remove the other. and to top that off it seems to round the numbers together, example if a dime and quarter are in the same hole, the legend will give me a 36 on the screen

2nd, a zinc penny does not always ring up as a 41-45, it sometimes rings up as a 31

3rd a dime might be a 45, and the next dime is a 39 or 36

What i am trying to say there is no consistency in how it identifies a coin.At first I thought I was imagining it, but now I have owned the Legend for 4 months and this happens over and over.

And it does not separate targets I had that problem with the Garrett Apex, sent it in for repairs and it was returned with the same problem.

and do not get me wrong I like the Legend, it has already proven itself to me (unlike the Apex) but so far I do think the Nox, even with its issues is a better machine, I do not own a D2, but would not give up my Deus to make the Legend my only machine.
Just a thought. If you are not digging everything you are missing good targets no matter what detector you use. I never rely on vdi and could care less for it on any detector. To each his own. I would constantly second guess numbers on any detector as none are 100% accurate. I basically dig everything and nothing over 12” that consistency seems to do fine.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
I have been learning how to use my Nokta Legend and it has been fun.

I mostly use it in park mode or beach mode. Aluminium tabs alway alert at about 30 a few inches deep indicating that it is some king of precious metal when it is not.

How to I eliminate that?
And vise versa gold jewelry could alert as aluminum tab on any detector as none are 100% accurate. You want to find more precious metal dig everything, thats an undisputed fact of the hobby.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
In my soil pennies can be 38-45, depending on corrosion.

Dimes are 43-48, even the really nasty, crusted orange ones.

Quarters are 50-58.
Don’t take this wrong way,
Your results are your results.
Is that gospel in your soil
Have you had pennies, dimes, quarters ever out of those ranges? And other metals fall in those ranges?
Personally I don’t have 100% not even 50% faith in vdi numbers being what they are supposed to be.
I second guess on any detector as a nice gold ring or other good targets could show anywhere on the scale basically. Ever get a piece of jewelry you thought could be a piece of foil or tab? Ever wonder how many good targets you possibly missed because of that. Everyone has different styles of hunting. I prefer to go by sound and dig about everything but not over 12” usually. Thats just me.
Just curious how much accuracy is in the numbers. Maybe someone can make a chart like for example
Quarters will be 40-50 id number with 95% accuracy.
Foil, pulltabs will be 30-40 with 95% accuracy
Again just me part of the excitement and interesting thing of the hobby is the not knowing what you will find.
Unfortunately only clad is found in my area and I’m not a coin hunter.
With limited time, health concerns i would love to know for sure its only a penny as i have no interest to dig 12” holes for a penny. I would rather dig an interesting piece of junk and try to figure what it is and spark my curiosity, not dig 100 holes for pennies and know I accumulated $1 for all that. Again thats just me

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought. If you are not digging everything you are missing good targets no matter what detector you use. I never rely on vdi and could care less for it on any detector. To each his own. I would constantly second guess numbers on any detector as none are 100% accurate. I basically dig everything and nothing over 12” that consistency seems to do fine.
I'm 69, had a disk removed and rebar installed in my back in March of this year, but yes I dig everything until I get tired then the numbers are important. Bottom line the Legend cannot be relied on. An example was this past week, I saw a dime on the ground, the legend did not, it was giving a signal for a penny that was about 6 -8 inches away. Well in the hole for the penny was 3 pennies, and dime. Once those targets were removed the firs dime was detected. so the legend also has poor target separation, pretty much the same problem I found with the Garrett Apex.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
I'm 69, had a disk removed and rebar installed in my back in March of this year, but yes I dig everything until I get tired then the numbers are important. Bottom line the Legend cannot be relied on. An example was this past week, I saw a dime on the ground, the legend did not, it was giving a signal for a penny that was about 6 -8 inches away. Well in the hole for the penny was 3 pennies, and dime. Once those targets were removed the firs dime was detected. so the legend also has poor target separation, pretty much the same problem I found with the Garrett Apex.
Not defending any as being perfect.
They all have flaws and none are 100% accurate is my main point.
I don’t ever run out of holes to dig and targets to find with the legend,, heck I’m sure I wouldn’t run out if holes and targets with a bounty hunter loll
Thats the main purpose of this hobby anyway to me, it’s surely not to only find treasure and get rich from it.
Weather i find pennies or dimes its not goung to make me or break me.
Except for my back.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don’t take this wrong way,
Your results are your results.
Is that gospel in your soil
Have you had pennies, dimes, quarters ever out of those ranges? And other metals fall in those ranges?
Personally I don’t have 100% not even 50% faith in vdi numbers being what they are supposed to be.
I second guess on any detector as a nice gold ring or other good targets could show anywhere on the scale basically. Ever get a piece of jewelry you thought could be a piece of foil or tab? Ever wonder how many good targets you possibly missed because of that. Everyone has different styles of hunting. I prefer to go by sound and dig about everything but not over 12” usually. Thats just me.
Just curious how much accuracy is in the numbers. Maybe someone can make a chart like for example
Quarters will be 40-50 id number with 95% accuracy.
Foil, pulltabs will be 30-40 with 95% accuracy
Again just me part of the excitement and interesting thing of the hobby is the not knowing what you will find.
Unfortunately only clad is found in my area and I’m not a coin hunter.
With limited time, health concerns i would love to know for sure its only a penny as i have no interest to dig 12” holes for a penny. I would rather dig an interesting piece of junk and try to figure what it is and spark my curiosity, not dig 100 holes for pennies and know I accumulated $1 for all that. Again thats just me

I'm mainly a gold prospector, I coin and jewelry hunt in my city because I can do it without the extensive prior planning it takes for me to get to the mountains where my gold claims are located. VDI is a piece of the puzzle, tones are a bigger piece of the puzzle. Tones are a much more accurate leading indicator, more so than VDI can ever be. Something that has always been true no matter what kind of machine that you run is the more targets that you dig, the better that you know your machine. In the past two days alone I've dug about 30-40 dime targets and 15-20 quarter targets, but It's not about the money. These targets along with the many corroded pennies and nickles that I dug were invaluable opportunities to learn my machines better. Start changing your settings and you'll see your VDI's change a lot too. Multi-frequency, single frequency, and the IF will take you out of your VDI comfort zone pretty quickly.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For all you legend users, does not matter if you have done the 1.09 update or not. Have you noticed a problem with the TDI numbers?
Most of you will think I am full of crap, but this is what I have noticed.

THESE numbers are fictional but very close to the truth.

1st if there is more than 1 coin, say a quarter and a dime close to each other, the legend will only find 1 target until you remove the other. and to top that off it seems to round the numbers together, example if a dime and quarter are in the same hole, the legend will give me a 36 on the screen

2nd, a zinc penny does not always ring up as a 41-45, it sometimes rings up as a 31

3rd a dime might be a 45, and the next dime is a 39 or 36

What i am trying to say there is no consistency in how it identifies a coin.At first I thought I was imagining it, but now I have owned the Legend for 4 months and this happens over and over.

And it does not separate targets I had that problem with the Garrett Apex, sent it in for repairs and it was returned with the same problem.

and do not get me wrong I like the Legend, it has already proven itself to me (unlike the Apex) but so far I do think the Nox, even with its issues is a better machine, I do not own a D2, but would not give up my Deus to make the Legend my only machine.
I've put many hours on my Legend. As such, the target IDs have been consistent. 1v09 is the release that I'm using.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I swing from different angles and change my swing speed, I can usually ferret-out multiple targets in the same hole. I sometimes will search using M2 and once a high vdi ever so slightly 'blips', I'll throttle down to 4khz to provide more information.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
I'm mainly a gold prospector, I coin and jewelry hunt in my city because I can do it without the extensive prior planning it takes for me to get to the mountains where my gold claims are located. VDI is a piece of the puzzle, tones are a bigger piece of the puzzle. Tones are a much more accurate leading indicator, more so than VDI can ever be. Something that has always been true no matter what kind of machine that you run is the more targets that you dig, the better that you know your machine. In the past two days alone I've dug about 30-40 dime targets and 15-20 quarter targets, but It's not about the money. These targets along with the many corroded pennies and nickles that I dug were invaluable opportunities to learn my machines better. Start changing your settings and you'll see your VDI's change a lot too. Multi-frequency, single frequency, and the IF will take you out of your VDI comfort zone pretty quickly.
Thats a very good point. I was just looking at videos yesterday how different frequencies you can choose on these smf/multi vlf detectors can effect the different tones on targets depending what frequency you use.
Im sure vdi ties into all that also.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
If I swing from different angles and change my swing speed, I can usually ferret-out multiple targets in the same hole. I sometimes will search using M2 and once a high vdi ever so slightly 'blips', I'll throttle down to 4khz to provide more information.
I was just explaining how i was watching videos how choosing different frequencies effects target identification. 4khz although deeper really struggles identifying targets i typically go after. I don’t know if that is in all soils but personally I don’t like to run anything under 12khz.
12khz-20khz seems to work best in dry soil anyway. The beach is a different story.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was just explaining how i was watching videos how choosing different frequencies effects target identification. 4khz although deeper really struggles identifying targets i typically go after. I don’t know if that is in all soils but personally I don’t like to run anything under 12khz.
12khz-20khz seems to work best in dry soil anyway. The beach is a different story.
4khz won't discriminate different metals very well, especially gold. 4khz won't see smaller gold jewelry at all, although it might sound off on a big enough gold nugget or a huge piece of gold jewelry. It's mainly for silver, but a good middle ground between gold and silver is 10-14khz. Some of the older Tesoro machines that were well known to be killer on silver ran at 10khz.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
4khz won't discriminate different metals very well, especially gold. 4khz won't see smaller gold jewelry at all, although it might sound off on a big enough gold nugget or a huge piece of gold jewelry. It's mainly for silver, but a good middle ground between gold and silver is 10-14khz. Some of the older Tesoro machines that were well known to be killer on silver ran at 10khz.
The Tesoro’s that ran on 14khz were really good on gold jewelry etc.
For me smaller less conductive targets that 12khz—15khz seems to be the sweet spot. Nice thing about something like the Legend for example i can switch from smf to vlf and choose 10, 15, or 20 khz depending how small of targets i want to find and conductivity.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also prefer nuggets, but like you the parks are closer, I'll take a 14k or 18k ring any day over driving 2 hours to be skunked. My nugget shooting usually starts in Oct, I camp out for a few days and then usually come home with 1 or 2 .
Having been dehydrated and having a heat stroke more than once, I prefer doing it in cooler weather. tucson AZ

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro’s that ran on 14khz were really good on gold jewelry etc.
For me smaller less conductive targets that 12khz—15khz seems to be the sweet spot. Nice thing about something like the Legend for example i can switch from smf to vlf and choose 10, 15, or 20 khz depending how small of targets i want to find and conductivity.
Gold is found better at higher frequencies because it is a low conductor, better VLF gold detectors start at 40khz, I believe the gold bug is 73khz, most nugget shooters use PI detectors. Not saying you cannot find gold rings at lower frequencies, or nuggets, just your odds increase with the higher frequencies. Silver on the other hand is a high conductor and is found better at lower frequencies , but then of course you can find a silver ring with a gold machine.
That is where a multi-freq machine is great for metal detecting especially parks as it will hit on all frequencies.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is found better at higher frequencies because it is a low conductor, better VLF gold detectors start at 40khz, I believe the gold bug is 73khz, most nugget shooters use PI detectors. Not saying you cannot find gold rings at lower frequencies, or nuggets, just your odds increase with the higher frequencies. Silver on the other hand is a high conductor and is found better at lower frequencies , but then of course you can find a silver ring with a gold machine.
That is where a multi-freq machine is great for metal detecting especially parks as it will hit on all frequencies.
where in the tucson area are you located I am north of Tucson if you would like too meet up sometime PM me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread