POLL: Group Hunt Weekend with Private Permissions, Bed & Breakfast

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys... call me old fashioned, but I love small towns from bygone eras. I love the history illustrated in their architecture, small town feel and rural work ethic.
I absolutely HATE seeing these little towns across America slowly turning (or having turned already) into ghost towns...

911057_orig.jpg fishkids.jpg

These small once thriving towns were centers of local commerce and hubs of bustling activity...

As time wore on, people sent their kids off to "the big city" to get edumacated and few decided to return to their roots... For that and other reasons, loss of population and jobs has spelled economic doom for any number of these small rural towns.

Here and there though, you have the occasional town bucking the trend and staving off death with ingenuity and craftiness of those not willing to accept the inevitable death. Rural festivals and marketing of these small towns have enabled some to continue on. I'm grateful for that... I think its cool whenever I drive into one of these places and I always try to find an excuse to stop and smell the roses and spend a few dollars for lunch, gas or knickknacks to just help 'keep the lights on'.

:award_star_bronze_3 The more I thought about the richness of history that some of these little towns had, the more I think it might be worthwhile to hold some metal detecting hunts in these towns. If nothing else, to allow many of us to meet and spend a day or two together on a regular basis, share the 'epic coolness' that is metal detecting with locals and maybe even inspire some of the youth of these towns to see the history buried right beneath their own feet!

I know some of us are in clubs and go on periodic fests sponsored by detector manufacturers. I'm interested in making this a regular thing. Many of us are busy with our own day to day work activities and family doings to spend any real time for prospecting for some really good or GREAT permissions to go on.

If such a thing were available 'near' your locality on a first come first serve basis, would YOU be interested in an invite? I'm planning just such an event in Illinois and would value input from fellow members here. Let me know what your thoughts are and take part in this poll. (I may revise it or put up new polls as information from fellow members comes to light to help fashion some epic metal detecting events). Surely such events could only benefit these small towns in bringing new faces, an interest in local history and a few dollars to help their local economies.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ROIGuy

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback so far on the voting.

HGFM

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I am new to the site as of last night. I am near Alton, IL. Tons of history in this area. The poll is encouraging in that permission seems to be a priority. It is the only ethical approach in my universe.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before I book a b&b I get permission from the proprietor. No permission, no booking. Great ideas, I’ll road trip damn near anywhere to hunt.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely love the idea, and YES! I would be VERY interested, and, would travel if my schedule permitted. Great post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread