PONTIAC INSANE ASYLUM HUNT?

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
MY ACE 250 JUST GOT HERE 5/07/08, also used a fisher 1220-x
I was thinking of places to hunt and I remember the Pontiac Asylum (AKA Michigan State hospital, Clinton Valley Center) that closed in 2002. I know they demolished it but I know where to find maps of the area I guess ill go check who owns the area today. Kinda freaky I'm one of those people who would get very creeped out in a place like that so I don't know if I wanna even be on the property heres some old pictures. Also a ghost picture that I heard the story about.

SEMPER FI :sunny:

Attachments

• asylum.jpg
    asylum.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,670
  • asylum1.jpg
    asylum1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 6,862
  • asylum 2.jpg
    asylum 2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 4,675
  • asylum 3.jpg
    asylum 3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 8,068
OP
OP
Sky_Warrior

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
There was also a catacomb under the complex where apparently some workers were kill by a patient in the early 1900's it opened in late 1800's and was closed in 1999 not 2002.

GTI2500

Greenie
Aug 31, 2007
Oscoda Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minlab X70
It is now filled with homes. you may find a playground or park, but it may not be around the old asylum. :(

Good luck
larry b

OP
OP
Sky_Warrior

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
GTI2500 said:
It is now filled with homes. you may find a playground or park, but it may not be around the old asylum. :(

Good luck
larry b

Thanks for looking. I think there is a big portion still open ill go check tomorrow.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I've been there a few times and it's a pretty good spot - there is alot of old glass at the least. I found a skeleton key and an old lock. A subdivision took up most of it, but the back half is still open.

However, BE VERY careful because there are a few homeless people living back there in the woods - no kidding. Drunks. The only reason I know is because I work in local law enforcement and one recent robbery arrest came from a person living in the little slice of woods sleeping in a refridgerator!!! If you go there, DONT GO ALONE. Oh yeah, one other thing - its HAUNTED!!! ;D I have a few detailed maps - showing where the old homes were.

Ian

OP
OP
Sky_Warrior

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
SaginawIan said:
I've been there a few times and it's a pretty good spot - there is alot of old glass at the least. I found a skeleton key and an old lock. A subdivision took up most of it, but the back half is still open.

However, BE VERY careful because there are a few homeless people living back there in the woods - no kidding. Drunks. The only reason I know is because I work in local law enforcement and one recent robbery arrest came from a person living in the little slice of woods sleeping in a refridgerator!!! If you go there, DONT GO ALONE. Oh yeah, one other thing - its HAUNTED!!! ;D I have a few detailed maps - showing where the old homes were.

Ian

well I never go anywhere with out my 8 inch hunting knife but Pontiac is a bad city and I don't really go there much since I live in auburn hills right next to Pontiac. and I did here that it was hunted I saw some old ghost pictures, and a bunch of death stories.

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
well if your up to digging there was a dump behind there near the steam plant/generator.
my uncle was the maintenance supervisor ther for 30 years, i had been through a lot of that facility several times , i dont think your going to find much as they didnt allow anyone to have a lot of loose objects to lose on the grounds. your best bet is the dump area in the north far north section of the property.

dan

unclenutsy

Feb 27, 2006
Carsonville Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I remember going there as a kid to see my aunt that was in there..It was a spooky place as a kid and my mom did not help any when she told me not to leave her side when we were there and a bunch of crazy stuff :-[

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
my grandpa used to work maintenance there, i wish i could have seen it in person before it was destroyed! my grandpa worked camp gilmore, camp brighton, and pontiac. as far as i know its too new, everything developed. but what do i know ive only been by the housing a few times and never actually been there. ive heard some sad storys about the employees screwing with the people there, from kids taking their parents there and saying their crazy to lock them up to get their parents money all the way to prison employees taking small amounts of change from their pockets and placing it in patients pockets while searching them then punishing them for having such contraband. its real sad what happened in those places but then again its also interesting how the public didnt care what was happening there. if you ever get a chance check out the old traverse city hospital before its all restored their restoring it but to a more modern look not the historical look.

tilly_012002

Jan 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 4 years in there and the treatment of people would have horrified most people.Some were just really slow.They could do what ever they wanted to do because most of us were just dropped off and forgotten.Solitary confinement was a common punishment.It was a dark room 6 by 8 foot with no windows and a slot in the door to pass food.Mattress on the floor and 1 blanket.I seen people kicked down stairs just so the attendant could say I'm boss.Then there was the strait jacket or bucket of ice.I have no doubt if the building was still there it would be haunted.That place was evil.Oh I forgot to tell you most of use were drugged up so much we were lucky if we could remember our names (not that it mattered) our rights as a citizen was stripped away by the court system to commit us.So many people died there.Alot do to treatment (shock treatment and other brain experments).I feel blessed to have walked out alive.I want you to know I was in G ward which did have some truly insane people on that floor and some just seriously slow.I was only 14 years old when I first arrived.The attendants treated us very cruelly.I spent 90 days in solitary once and many other times for weeks.Some times for hours in a bucket filled with ice while in a strait jacket.I felt for and still feel for all of the others.I faired well and raised a family but I always have been in theorpy for post-tramatic stress disorder from my experience there.Since I had a heart transplant it got worse.I relive my experience very often.I pray all of the others are doing well.

Last edited:

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im scared already................

I believe in the holy ghost,And with that.....I leave the rest of the ghosts alone but i wish you the best of luck on your hunt!!

HH,John

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a horrible story Tilly but I don't doubt it one bit...there was little effort to cure people in those days...just warehouse them. More cruel yet were the people there that there was nothing wrong with...husbands could get their wives declared insane by the courts...parents could institutionalize a child that might be either unruley or just different yet not mentally deficient.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These stories are horrible.. It's hard to believe that people were treated that way.. To the people who have posted that they were in there I say to you that you must be some very strong and very durable individuals to have endured that.. Sorry to hear that anybody had to go through torment and pain like that.. This place would just creep me out wether it's was still standing or demolished.. Evil and pain can linger for a long time in my opinion wether the building is still there or not.. I'm not a terribly superstitous person but I for one would want nothing that would tie me to such a horrible place.. Yes some of you may say is'nt war horrible and yes it is and we still retrieve atifacts from that.. But war is usaully for a cause this place sounds like it's only purpose was to torture and abuse... Just my thoughts..

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, really want the MXT though.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of places to hunt and I remember the Pontiac Asylum (AKA Michigan State hospital, Clinton Valley Center) that closed in 2002. I know they demolished it but I know where to find maps of the area I guess ill go check who owns the area today. Kinda freaky I'm one of those people who would get very creeped out in a place like that so I don't know if I wanna even be on the property heres some old pictures. Also a ghost picture that I heard the story about.

I live in Clarkston, and work Pontiac right down the road, and I would not mind heading out there one day. I will take a drive out there and mull around a bit to check it out. It seems a bit interesting to me.
Also i was told that most of the people in that place were not insane until they actually got there, because of all the abuse. It takes some sick person to do that kind of stuff to people. But look me up, we can head out there.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Man talk about a post ruining your day/year..wish I had never clicked it.
There was no g ward, there was applewood hall ( male teens ) then there was birchwood hall ( female teens ) and then there was cottonwood hall where the young children stayed.
That was called fairlawn center. Adults were housed in the main building Clinton valley center, which was east of Fair lawn.
I was there, from late 82' to spring of 85', Personally I would not have called it a insane asylum, sure some were off their rockers, but most of us were troubled kids who had drug probs or were just to much of a burden to our parents, so we got dumped there, then to end up wards of the state...in other words your parents lost all rights to their child.
This is really bringing back a lot of memories I wish I could forget, but now it's fresh again, so I am going to get it off my shoulders.
I am not calling anybody a fibber, but in my 3 years there, I was never subjected to any kind of ice therapy, nor did any other kid ever mention it, and believe you me if it happened, I would have heard about it, and as for pushing anybody down any stairs, there was one set of stairs near the entrance, but it was only 3 stairs with a drop of about 18 inches, but once you were there as a patient, you were never near the entrance, that's unless you were one of the lucky ones who had a stable family at home and got to go home on a weekend pass.
Otherwise you spent your time in school in there, and a lot of therapy sessions with your psychology team.
The one person that mentioned being in solitary for weeks, well, that has to be a Lil unbelievable to me, since I was in those days evil incarnate, yes I spent plenty of time in the quiet room as it was called, with padded walls and a mattress on the floor, but it did have a small window albeit, one covered with thick chicken wire mesh, straight jackets were used, along with a lot of shots of thorazine in your butt cheeks.
Most of the time I spent there was in the rec room, TV with not much on it, and the other love of my life..a pool table, which after 3 years of daily play, I became quite the player, and still enjoy it today.
Now things did happen there, that I will surely NEVER forget, and that was the sexual abuse committed by the staff against us kids, I'd not mention their names, and I can clearly remember what they all looked like, as if I'd just seen them yesterday...of course as a child and being told if you ever told anybody, that you would never again see your family, and worse things they would do if you said anything...well needless to say I never said a word, neither did anybody else for that matter, the one comfort I have from that is knowing that God has a special place in hell just for them.
It was not all bad though, I did make a few friends there, that became lifelong friends.
Anyway /rant off....sorry I had to let that all out or I may have really gone insane.

P.S. I'd love to detect there too, though its all homes now.

tinman9611

Oct 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at clinton valley fairlawn from 1989 to 1991 that place was truly haunted i seen a lot of things happen there i had nightmares for years after being in this place

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear BC1969,
My brother in law was in Clinton valley. He would come home on the weekends. My husband was 11 when his brother passed away. I believe it was 1979.
My husband really doesn't know much about his brother, but I know he idolized him.
I hope that nothing bad happened to him. From what i hear, which is very little. He could be violent at times.
I appreciate you letting people know a bit more about Clinton Valley.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions