buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Great Friend of mine had been telling me for some time that I needed to come see all his Metal Detecting Collection. Well I finally got over there yesterday and I was Completely Blown Away at the amazing collection he has put together over the years.

He has done a lot of detecting in the Port Hudson Area over the years, which I have ALWAYS wanted to hunt, but never had a chance to swing a coil in that vicinity.

So after looking at all his awe inspiring displays and pictures he shows me this old pic of 13 Cannon balls he dug in one hole, there and had them lined up on the tailgate of his truck, I was literally Bug Eyed and amazed at the story of that incredible day of digging. He then pointed to one of them in a corner, and says, see that one over there, it is for you to take home with you. Well at that point you coulda knocked me over with a feather, and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing in the sincere generosity of his offer. I reached down and picked it up and in doing so it lit a fire in me, to get out and find more relics that I can share as well with friends, and others to help inspire them to love history and the detecting as well.

The Cannon ball is a 24 Pounder
I cleaned it up a bit to take a few pics, and measure it. I am also considering trying Electrolysis on it and preserving it.

It’s Solid 23.2lbs, 5.68” diameter and has a few small chunks missing.

Does anyone know if it was a Confederate Smoothbore Round? Or any info on the Cannon that would have fired this round?

Thanks for any info anyone might add
Much appreciated.

IMG_2655.jpg
IMG_2656.jpg
IMG_2657.jpg
IMG_2648.jpg
IMG_2650.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not an expert but that appears to be a 24 pound naval ball. Best bet is Union as their gunboats shells the Confederates from the river. If memory serves. These days, sometimes it doesn't.

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Smokey, that kinda confirms what I was thinking after some reading on the subject.

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any information about 24 Pound Naval Cannons used at Port Hudson?

Zep11in

Feb 22, 2019
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, Whites MX5, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any information about 24 Pound Naval Cannons used at Port Hudson?

Here's what I found...
"The Confederate gunners accepted the challenge, and the contest was on to see who could disable more guns. The Confederates had 16 guns on their left. These included two rifled 24-pounder siege guns, two 3.5-inch Blakely rifles and one 2-pounder breech-loading Hughes gun. The rest of the line mounted 6-pounder bronze guns and 12-pounder bronze howitzers. These pieces occupied nine battery emplacements. The Confederate center mounted 16 cannons, including two 24-pounder smoothbore siege guns, one 24-pounder rifled siege gun and a rifled 12-pounder bronze gun. Eight gun emplacements held the center’s guns. Five emplacements on the right of the defenses held 11 light guns, including one Confederate 3.3-inch rifle, two Confederate 10-pounder Parrotts and one 20-pounder Parrott."

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/siege-port-hudson

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I found...
"The Confederate gunners accepted the challenge, and the contest was on to see who could disable more guns. The Confederates had 16 guns on their left. These included two rifled 24-pounder siege guns, two 3.5-inch Blakely rifles and one 2-pounder breech-loading Hughes gun. The rest of the line mounted 6-pounder bronze guns and 12-pounder bronze howitzers. These pieces occupied nine battery emplacements. The Confederate center mounted 16 cannons, including two 24-pounder smoothbore siege guns, one 24-pounder rifled siege gun and a rifled 12-pounder bronze gun. Eight gun emplacements held the center’s guns. Five emplacements on the right of the defenses held 11 light guns, including one Confederate 3.3-inch rifle, two Confederate 10-pounder Parrotts and one 20-pounder Parrott."

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/siege-port-hudson

Thanks So Much for the Info, and the Link. Its a Great Read..
Much Appreciated..

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a Great looking piece of CW History. That was some present given to you by your friend. Like you said, the fuse has been lit, and now it's time to get Fired Up and dig some more History. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
buck8point

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Great looking piece of CW History. That was some present given to you by your friend. Like you said, the fuse has been lit, and now it's time to get Fired Up and dig some more History. Best of luck to you.

Thanks devldog, it sure is time to get out there, and it cant happen fast enough.
I hope I can return the favor at some point as well.

Thanks also to Zep11in for the Link.
I just got thru reading and digesting it all, and seems like both sides had some 24 Pound Smoothbore Siege Guns at Port Hudson.
What a fascinating account of the battle.
Im also Reading a Book called "The Guns of Port Hudson" Louisiana Vol Two by David C Edmonds.
So far its a Great read as well.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great write up Doug, thanks for sharing, hopefully someday we'll find a place up there to lease so we can get back into the Port Hudson action.... "D"

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great friend and gift! I hope to see you posting some of the relics you dig up soon.

Steve

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find that's crazy cool

Top Member Reactions