Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I know that's incredibly vague. I found this yesterday near the Ichetucknee River in Florida. About six inches deep. It's all iron. Heavily attracted to magnetic. It's the shape of it, the depth, the amount of rust, and the fact that it feels lighter than it should -- all those have me curious as to whether it might be some sort of artifact.

Not looking for help in identifying -- but want to know what techniques would be best to remove the rust without potentially destroying it. I thought about putting it in a rock tumbler but was worried that might mess it up. I currently have it in a homemade electrolysis bath and will check and see if that's working in a few hours.

Any other methods for getting rid of the rust buildup? Thanks in advance!

111.jpg

Size comparison

2222.jpg

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be something good inside (it could be a conglomerate) .I wouldn't use a tumbler.

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(it could be a conglomerate)
Thanks for the reply. When you say conglomerate, what exactly do you mean? I searched google but couldn't find a good definition as it pertains to metal detecting...

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. When you say conglomerate, what exactly do you mean? I searched google but couldn't find a good definition as it pertains to metal detecting...
You say its Iron and a possible artifact.Here's a DIY system to find out (what it is and/or whats inside.:)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use electrolysis, it is a simple easy process...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread