Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is an old dumpsite behind my church and after a big storm artifacts weather out into a creekbed that runs about 15 feet down a hill. Always meant to take a peek but was just never the right time/day/etc. to do it. Keep in mind this church is modern but built almost exactly where the confederate artillery was in the Dranesville incident of Dec 20th, 1861. Never expected to find much, boy was I wrong. Thank you for looking, happy holidays and please be kind to each other. Have fun digging! UPDATE: after further research thinking it maybe a 4 pounder hard to tell though, not super educated on CW stuff Further Update: waiting for experts opinion... may move the roundball to another forum for ID. Thanks for patience, sorry I do not know more!

Attachments

• confederate hollow.JPG
    confederate hollow.JPG
    524.1 KB · Views: 312
  • sharpening stones.JPG
    sharpening stones.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 149
  • stirrup maybe.JPG
    stirrup maybe.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 132
  • toothbrush in glass.JPG
    toothbrush in glass.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
  • brush.JPG
    brush.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • car doorlock eschuceon.JPG
    car doorlock eschuceon.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
  • not sure.JPG
    not sure.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
  • dunno looks interesting.JPG
    dunno looks interesting.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 130
  • figurine.JPG
    figurine.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 119
  • find of day.JPG
    find of day.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
  • flashlight button.JPG
    flashlight button.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • glass daisy.JPG
    glass daisy.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 102
  • glass doorknob.JPG
    glass doorknob.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
  • got my GW!.JPG
    got my GW!.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
  • gyroscope.JPG
    gyroscope.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 130
  • marble.JPG
    marble.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • pile.JPG
    pile.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
  • tag.JPG
    tag.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • wrenched.JPG
    wrenched.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • sixties flashlght base.JPG
    sixties flashlght base.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • wild bill.JPG
    wild bill.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
  • one.JPG
    one.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • three.JPG
    three.JPG
    864.6 KB · Views: 59
  • two.JPG
    two.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • weight.JPG
    weight.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Upvote 47
OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds, congratulations. That little shell is sweet. I have the Dickey/George CW artillery reference book and the CS hand grenade in the book is 2.5 inches in diameter and weighed 1pd 4oz. A 6 pounder is 3.58 inches and weighs either 4 pds 2oz or 3 pds 12oz. The later weight is the polygonal cavity version. I am not sure what yours is and will let the experts weigh In. Very interested in what they say.
wondering if that is the weight fully packed with munition or the empty case weight, new ground to me pretty excited

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Davers u just never know what you will come home with, thinking it was picked up in thirties by an inquisitive soul and sat in a barn until discarded with trash in the sixties...very cool (if it's not a finial) take care happy holidays
There used to be an expert on here going by "TheCannonballGuy." He was a wealth of knowledge, but he had some health issues back then. Here is a link to a post that I was involved with a few years ago. It was determined by a few of the local collectors experts here in Savannah that what I found was a confederate grenade, not rev war.

Anyway, its information.

JoshW

Oct 1, 2018
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wondering if that is the weight fully packed with munition or the empty case weight, new ground to me pretty excited
I am not sure on that one. Unfortunately the only 6 pdr I have is solid shot. I was hoping the Cannonball Guy was still active here, as he wrote the book I am referring to. I would suggest running it through electrolysis and taking the measurements that are outlined in the post above. Maybe then we can narrow it down. Some other questions/info below.

1) Does the hole have threads?
2) Is there something at the bottom of the interior? It looks from the picture that there may be something there.
3) How thick are the walls?
4) Here are the measurements for some pre-CW guns. The book doesn’t list weights for these.
3pdr - 2.84 inches
4pdr - 3.12 inches
5) Is it perfectly round?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There used to be an expert on here going by "TheCannonballGuy." He was a wealth of knowledge, but he had some health issues back then. Here is a link to a post that I was involved with a few years ago. It was determined by a few of the local collectors experts here in Savannah that what I found was a confederate grenade, not rev war.

Anyway, its information.

@TheCannonballGuy
I think if a person places the @symbol in front of the persons name, the post inquiry will show up in the mail/bell symbol.
It will direct them to the post.

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Anyway, its information.

awesome info thanks, busy with final push end of detecting season (at least for me) here so will have some research when I get a little more free time but I will definitely keep ya posted, thanks for everything thus far and have a good week.

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
@TheCannonballGuy
I think if a person places the @symbol in front of the persons name, the post inquiry will show up in the mail/bell symbol.
ok lets see if he chimes in, if not I will repost it in a few days in the 'what is it' forum...thanks everyone this is kinda exciting

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not sure on that one. Unfortunately the only 6 pdr I have is solid shot. I was hoping the Cannonball Guy was still active here, as he wrote the book I am referring to. I would suggest running it through electrolysis and taking the measurements that are outlined in the post above. Maybe then we can narrow it down. Some other questions/info below.

2) Is there something at the bottom of the interior? It looks from the picture that there may be something there.
4) Here are the measurements for some pre-CW guns. The book doesn’t list weights for these.
3pdr - 2.84 inches
4pdr - 3.12 inches
i think its a finial, the pole would have threaded into the thing at the bottom but I'll send the pics to cannonball guy

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Anyway, its information.

CBG is still here,if you PM him he will give his input for sure.

3pdr - 2.84 inches
4pdr - 3.12 inches
Ok I IM'd cannonball guy will let you know....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@TheCannonballGuy
I'm interested in what he can add. I know nothing on these, just puzzelled that the hole goes all the way through. Logically, I would have thought this would limit the chances of it breaking up when exploding, due to the forces being expelled in 2 directions.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm interested in what he can add. I know nothing on these, just puzzelled that the hole goes all the way through. Logically, I would have thought this would limit the chances of it breaking up when exploding, due to the forces being expelled in 2 directions.:icon_scratch:
Cheers, Will definitely update when I know. Hard to tell from pic but it is totally hollow on the inside save a nipple like iron protrusion with a central countersunk hole on inside bottom which is directly in line with the top hole (I need to purchase calipers to precisely measure the orifice) which seems to indicate a bed finial or something of that nature imho

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir nice hunt. Cannon ball guy stops by he can tell you real quick. He is after all the foremost expert in Civil war Artillery
Enjoyed your hunt.
Happy Holidays

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes sir nice hunt. Cannon ball guy stops by he can tell you real quick. He is after all the foremost expert in Civil war Artillery
Enjoyed your hunt.
Happy Holidays
thank you very much, sorry for delayed response bad family stuff happening here (health issues with elderly parents) it was a fun day for sure too cold now to dig ahh well happy holidays yourself, hope it is a gracious one! PS-still awaiting a response heard @TheCannonballGuy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an old dumpsite behind my church and after a big storm artifacts weather out into a creekbed that runs about 15 feet down a hill. Always meant to take a peek but was just never the right time/day/etc. to do it. Keep in mind this church is modern but built almost exactly where the confederate artillery was in the Dranesville incident of Dec 20th, 1861. Never expected to find much, boy was I wrong. Thank you for looking, happy holidays and please be kind to each other. Have fun digging! UPDATE: after further research thinking it maybe a 4 pounder hard to tell though, not super educated on CW stuff Further Update: waiting for experts opinion... may move the roundball to another forum for ID. Thanks for patience, sorry I do not know more!
I’d go with broken bed knob instead of grenade. Metal looks much too thin and hole looks sheared off not integrally cast

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of a time capsule

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread