Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my opinion, it's hard to say.
These are formed by glaciers, but if it was found in association with artifacts, they were probably using it for something.
smaller versions are common in gravel pits, often picked up at the base of conveyor belts, as they tend to roll back down, and fall off.
I have seen them basketball size, pretty sure prehistoric man wasn't using them for that.
:laughing7:

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I have found a few of these also when hunting arrowheads. A few still have peck marks. I have found both made of granite and flint.

I could see the view that these could be cannon shot. Depending on the location found and dimensions of the ball, the view could go more towards one or the other.

Unlike the small marbles sometimes found, the larger flint is extremely smooth, Two, including the flint also have flat spots. One of the granites hardstone has three of varying size.

This is the polished flint
flint_ball.jpg

Here is a very round harstone ball found a few winters back, you can still see some peck marks in the lower area, sort of shadowed.

harstone_ballb.jpg

The hardstone ball was found by my house. From one angle it looks like a very round ball. Turn is and you see the flat spots. I have tried to show both angles in these three pictures. The flat spots are different sizes. On most sites where I have found these, I have also found pestles and axes. The pestles were both roller and hoof pestles. Where the flint ball was found I have found bell pestles. A few highly styles with well-defined bases.

The flat spot is in front, sort of towards the camera.
harstone_ball1.jpg

The larger flat area showing on top.
harstone_ball2.jpg

flat area on right is clear, another in the lower left.
harstone_ball3.jpg

OP
OP
N

nolanbuckman

Jan 13, 2023
I have found a few of these also when hunting arrowheads. A few still have peck marks. I have found both made of granite and flint.

I could see the view that these could be cannon shot. Depending on the location found and dimensions of the ball, the view could go more towards one or the other.

Unlike the small marbles sometimes found, the larger flint is extremely smooth, Two, including the flint also have flat spots. One of the granites hardstone has three of varying size.

View attachment 2065999

Here is a very round harstone ball found a few winters back, you can still see some peck marks in the lower area, sort of shadowed.

View attachment 2066000

The hardstone ball was found by my house. From one angle it looks like a very round ball. Turn is and you see the flat spots. I have tried to show both angles in these three pictures. The flat spots are different sizes. On most sites where I have found these, I have also found pestles and axes. The pestles were both roller and hoof pestles. Where the flint ball was found I have found bell pestles. A few highly styles with well-defined bases.

View attachment 2066002

View attachment 2066004

View attachment 2066006

View attachment 2065999

View attachment 2066000

View attachment 2066002

View attachment 2066004

View attachment 2066006
Wow, awe

View attachment 2065999

View attachment 2066000

View attachment 2066002

View attachment 2066004

View attachment 2066006
wow, some awesome finds!! I know exactly what your saying it could go either way. It’s definetly a first for me. I’m still dreaming for my first full axe. Can’t wait for the flood to hit.

OP
OP
N

nolanbuckman

Jan 13, 2023
My brother found one in Ohio 60 years ago while looking for arrowheads too. I'm still not sure what it is but I've kept it with all his other stuff.
That’s exactly why I kept mine I know it’s definetly not natural it’s too perfectly round. This cannon ball idea is really interesting I’m researching it more.

OP
OP
N

nolanbuckman

Jan 13, 2023
I have 2 of these found around Fort Stanwix in Rome NY. My Grandfather has them recorded as French origin Cannon Shot/Ball.
That’s what member grizz12 said. I’m going to have for research this more. I’m glad I joined this site it’s nice to share my funds and get valuable insight. I appreciate it immensely.

OP
OP
N

nolanbuckman

Jan 13, 2023
in my opinion, it's hard to say.
These are formed by glaciers, but if it was found in association with artifacts, they were probably using it for something.
smaller versions are common in gravel pits, often picked up at the base of conveyor belts, as they tend to roll back down, and fall off.
I have seen them basketball size, pretty sure prehistoric man wasn't using them for that.
:laughing7:
Wow I didn’t know they were formed by glaciers. I was hunting in the Ohio river bottoms so artifacts are prevalent. Others are saying cannon ball as well I’ll have to research it more

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
we have all found these, they are not uncommon at all. I know it seems too perfect, and I know they often appear worked, but what "game" do you suppose they were used for? I know a beach on the Washington coast where I can find smooth, white, quartz, egg shapes rocks (the size of a hens egg) by the dozen, all natural.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Not sure, but 24/7 ocean wave action to produce round stones has not occurred in the Midwest in a while.

That scenario you speak of is 100% different.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we have all found these, they are not uncommon at all. I know it seems too perfect, and I know they often appear worked, but what "game" do you suppose they were used for? I know a beach on the Washington coast where I can find smooth, white, quartz, egg shapes rocks (the size of a hens egg) by the dozen, all natural.
Mine are not natural.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread