Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With some examination with the magnifying glass, and references from pictures, I'm confident I've pinned this down to an approximate 1775 Georgivs III Rex Half Penny. Screenshot_2018-07-07-22-43-09.jpg
2 Wheats, 36 & 45, and a flat button. 20180707_215745-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice...I'm no expert so I can only hope it turns out to be your 1775 half penny. Mackaydon would be able to confirm or not, he's sharp on those old crusty ones. Congrats..Ddf.

OP
OP
Jesse James

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've posted it in the "What is it" section also, with a few hints that may back it up.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does appear to be a George III 1770-1775, or a counterfeit of one. Counterfeits were probably more common in circulation than the real ones in America.

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try taking a lead pencil/paper and etch over the coin....I did it once and what appeared on the piece of paper might surprise you and help.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a draped bust US large cent to me, no?

The positioning of the head, the neck, and especially the nose.

db.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the coronet-of-leaves looking thing over his forehead now. Nice find!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find, congratulations! :occasion14:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say you're correct, possibly a CT copper too? I know some of those had right facing busts that look similar to the KG bust

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job!!! Still looking for my first old copper..

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A King George III Halfpenny, yes (you can see the three, so it's not a mailed bust CT copper. You didn't state size, but it's probably a halfpenny and not a farthing.) As for 1775, if you don't see the date, you won't be able to tell. You can't go by the devices alone because there's a bazillion varieties (considering many are non-regal counterfeits.)

Last edited:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found that doing a rubbing with tin foil and then turning it in the light helps see details that are otherwise lost in the corrosion. This one should do that pretty well. Exciting find!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice find. No Coinmaster here.Congrats

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on this find. I absolutely love finding these coins. My amateur opinion is that it's a KGIII. If you have one of those coin scales you can weigh it and compare that to what they are supposed to weigh. They originally weighed 10 grains. I have one that is thin yet has some good detail on it that weighs almost 50% less than it should. In my mind that makes it a counterfeit. Do you have a picture of the reverse?

OP
OP
Jesse James

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on this find. I absolutely love finding these coins. My amateur opinion is that it's a KGIII. If you have one of those coin scales you can weigh it and compare that to what they are supposed to weigh. They originally weighed 10 grains. I have one that is thin yet has some good detail on it that weighs almost 50% less than it should. In my mind that makes it a counterfeit. Do you have a picture of the reverse?
Right here. You can faintly see the "A" tapatalk_1536336377115-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread