Possible PNW basalt Gaming Ball?

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the rainy season where I live. That means I often go to my rock garden and (re) check river bed finds. Very rarely will I find Native American artifacts. More often, I find stones that look cool, and deserve a nesting place in my garden. My exploration takes place on non tribal land, within creek/river beds in SW Washington. This "ball" is 13 1/4 (circumference). It is Aprox 4"X4” (HXW). I believe that the stone tumbled in the river, but it is almost a perfect ball. I rotated the ball. There is areas of chunks missing and one flattened area (maybe the stone sat on that surface over many years?). I recently read of Gaming Balls. I do not know if the tribes near me used Gaming Balls, and I do not know what the size or type of stone that ball would be.

Any help to rule out the artifact theory would be helpful (again). This forum has always had patience is guiding (and educating) me!

BE114767-76FB-474C-8FC3-ACB89A12E8C4.jpeg
4D7BECE7-5D23-472B-8F9D-88901094C1D3.jpeg
7A06CFE8-3441-4E25-91A5-03AB6B99B766.jpeg
583C4E18-1A70-41A3-979D-8FD6233739B1.jpeg

Upvote 2

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It looks man-made to me, I can't recall that material naturally wearing into spheres.

East of the Rockies game pieces do tend to be non-porous materials, but Cog Stones and other discoidal shaped pieces from California and Mexico are often made from that bubbly material. (You can Google Cog Stones and see pictures of them.)

Literally the other corner of the US, but down here in Miami, Florida and the Keys one of the very few types of stone relics that have been found are small heads of coral shaped into balls. They are thought to be an extension of the ball game found in the Caribbean.

GB Paleo

Feb 10, 2017
Out West in the Great Basin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Joshua that it was originally shaped by Man but could have been rolling in the creek over the years. I don't think its Basalt and I also don't think Pumice unless its very light. Pumice is very soft and can typically float. It looks like another kind of volcanic rock that I see a lot of down south of you in the Great Basin. Not sure what the name is but it is very hard, is porous and fairly heavy. I've seen manos and pestles made frpm that type of material.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find volcanic rock in spheres on occasion out in the great basin. And frequently here in N California where glacial action has piled rock into moraines. I have Manos and pestles made from volcanics.

OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Joshua that it was originally shaped by Man but could have been rolling in the creek over the years. I don't think its Basalt and I also don't think Pumice unless its very light. Pumice is very soft and can typically float. It looks like another kind of volcanic rock that I see a lot of down south of you in the Great Basin. Not sure what the name is but it is very hard, is porous and fairly heavy. I've seen manos and pestles made frpm that type of material.
Thanks Pointblank. I live downstream from Mt St Helens, so it makes sense that some sort of volcanic stone drained down. It is a near perfect sphere, so I keep researching.

OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks man-made to me, I can't recall that material naturally wearing into spheres.

East of the Rockies game pieces do tend to be non-porous materials, but Cog Stones and other discoidal shaped pieces from California and Mexico are often made from that bubbly material. (You can Google Cog Stones and see pictures of them.)

Literally the other corner of the US, but down here in Miami, Florida and the Keys one of the very few types of stone relics that have been found are small heads of coral shaped into balls. They are thought to be an extension of the ball game found in the Caribbean.
Thanks Joshua. Cog stones do have some of the porous features.

OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most are tools not gaming balls
Wow, what a nice collection! My take away after viewing the photos, is that while walking creek beds and sand bars I should keep my eyes out for any stones with unique shapes or grooves. Maybe my ball was used as a tool, and then became weathered and broken down?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find chert balls that were used for knapping. Many will have a rind of cortex on them for grip in pressure or edge work.
Nice addition to your collection.

OP
OP
U

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the rainy season where I live. That means I often go to my rock garden and (re) check river bed finds. Very rarely will I find Native American artifacts. More often, I find stones that look cool, and deserve a nesting place in my garden. My exploration takes place on non tribal land, within creek/river beds in SW Washington. This "ball" is 13 1/4 (circumference). It is Aprox 4"X4” (HXW). I believe that the stone tumbled in the river, but it is almost a perfect ball. I rotated the ball. There is areas of chunks missing and one flattened area (maybe the stone sat on that surface over many years?). I recently read of Gaming Balls. I do not know if the tribes near me used Gaming Balls, and I do not know what the size or type of stone that ball would be.

Any help to rule out the artifact theory would be helpful (again). This forum has always had patience is guiding (and educating) me!

View attachment 2026334 View attachment 2026335 View attachment 2026336 View attachment 2026337
I did some research on how nature can create round balls. Interesting article about potholes, and rocks that get trapped in swirling eddies inside the potholes. See below and click on "potholes"

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research on how nature can create round balls. Interesting article about potholes, and rocks that get trapped in swirling eddies inside the potholes. See below and click on "potholes"

Happens in the creeks and streams a lot.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a nice collection! My take away after viewing the photos, is that while walking creek beds and sand bars I should keep my eyes out for any stones with unique shapes or grooves. Maybe my ball was used as a tool, and then became weathered and broken down?
not very many running creeks in the desert where I live

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread