Possible Revolutionary War era shot or powder bag

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,

For your consideration, a tanned leather shot or powder bag, stitched with flax twine. The neck and stopper seem to be red cedar wood or possibly cherry.The item has seen some years. It's as desiccated as a Fourth Dynasty Mummy and light as a feather. The bag smells like ancient history.

I acquired this by auction about four months ago.

What do think? Could this possibly date to the Revolutionary War period?

Best regards,

JG

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the stopper is a replacement and the thing is just too dang small for a shot pouch. Rev war? could easily be much newer African, middle eastern, or eastern European. How did you determine the thread is jute? I think colonial American would likely be linen thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, I meant 'flax' not Jute. The bag was found in the attic of an 18th century house in Maryland next to a mid-18th century enameled glass decanter of the Stieglitz type. African, Middle Eastern or Eastern European seems a stretch. And I challenge the idea that the stopper is a replacement. But thanks for your input. I appreciate any and all participation in this thread, and I never run from a debate or beat people over the head for disagreeing with me

Best regards,

JG

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those things are very hard to date. The reenactors still make them. The leather itself doesn't look 200 plus years old, I don't see the normal cracking like you would normally see unless it's just the picture. If attic found it should have dried out terribly and there should be a ton of cracking to it, assuming it has been in an attic a long time.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I meant 'flax' not Jute. The bag was found in the attic of an 18th century house in Maryland next to a mid-18th century enameled glass decanter of the Stieglitz type. African, Middle Eastern or Eastern European seems a stretch. And I challenge the idea that the stopper is a replacement. But thanks for your input. I appreciate any and all participation in this thread, and I never run from a debate or beat people over the head for disagreeing with me

Best regards,

JG

Whoever made the nice round wooden tube/spout would have certainly made a nice turned plug/stopper. Heck, even without turning I could whittle a nicer fitting stopper than that. Did you find this yourself or is this another auction purchase?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
The bag is extremely desiccated. Dry as a bone. It is as light as a feather. I propose that the object escaped too much cracking or other damage because it's been hidden away from the sun and other stressing factors for many years. It also appears to be of the highest quality leather.

There 'is' a very long and noticeable crack along the bottom.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: gunsil

Believe me. I've gotten the message loud and clear, repeatedly. People who buy things have no credibility and are the lowest form of life on TN. I get it.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions