Possible solution for the legend updating problems.

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Antique whites TR-goldmaster

Under water model to be posted
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings. Here is what I discovered during the update journey. It's possible that the legend uses a different kind of usb driver, in my case, windows 10.
So this is what I did to download the legends updates.
Apparently nokta may use a cp210x to uart bridge vcp driver. Which is not loaded with windows natively.

I didn't see anything on their website to explain this driver issue, perhaps they assumed all systems come with this.
Certainly the manual does not address this issue.

Here's is one source of cp210x usb driver. Nothing worked until I read the error reports of why my computer was not recognizing the legend. There was no matching driver on my system. The very first (newest) on the list worked instantly and flawlessly.
Hopes this helps. Sorry if the links aren't coming up proper.

CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers - Silicon Labs

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Greetings. Here is what I discovered during the update journey. It's possible that the legend uses a different kind of usb driver, in my case, windows 10.
So this is what I did to download the legends updates.
Apparently nokta may use a cp210x to uart bridge vcp driver. Which is not loaded with windows natively.

I didn't see anything on their website to explain this driver issue, perhaps they assumed all systems come with this.
Certainly the manual does not address this issue.

Here's is one source of cp210x usb driver. Nothing worked until I read the error reports of why my computer was not recognizing the legend. There was no matching driver on my system. The very first (newest) on the list worked instantly and flawlessly.
Hopes this helps. Sorry if the links aren't coming up proper.

CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Drivers - Silicon Labs

the information you provided is rite on the Nokta/Macro website on the Legend page

I will tell you that that driver is not the only issues when trying to update the Legend I had everything correct in my PCs including the Drivers you suggest, it still took me 17 hours to get it to install and there was no rhyme or reason as to why it finally decided to install

why one update takes seconds to intsall and the next update takes hours to install there is no reason for it, like I said the 1.08 took 17 hours for me to install and 1.09 took less then a minuet

OP
OP
Huntster54

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the information you provided is rite on the Nokta/Macro website on the Legend page

I will tell you that that driver is not the only issues when trying to update the Legend I had everything correct in my PCs including the Drivers you suggest, it still took me 17 hours to get it to install and there was no rhyme or reason as to why it finally decided to install

why one update takes seconds to intsall and the next update takes hours to install there is no reason for it, like I said the 1.08 took 17 hours for me to install and 1.09 took less then a minuet
All it reads is this:
  • Online Firmware Updates
    Stay up-to-date with firmware updates (via USB) and get the most out of your detector.
No where on the total website nor the manual details the type of USB that I can find. And i don't believe the package that contains the update installs a usb driver either. Many software updates will install their version of library file that supports their programs after asking your permission to do so. Almost all install software in the last few years will not overwrite native files as that was a major problem years ago.

Again people may want to at least install this driver I linked as it takes up almost no room and only runs when a program asks for it during a install. Quite a few other machines use a usb driver like this. It is a safe and legitimate driver.

There is also the issue of USB versions used. Is your computer USB version 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0? Most computers of this decade are into 3.0 but with total backward compatibility to 1.0 standard. However, that means almost all computers still have 1.0 to 3.0 assorted ports to plug into. If the software is written for 2.0 at least, plugging into an older 1.0 port could cause issues. It's always better to know for sure if your port is 2.0 or better.

OP
OP
Huntster54

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oldkoot. I apologize for my post as I just went back to their website and kept clicking things and finally found their trouble shooting page. Ironically, I found that driver completely independently from nokta.
I wasn't trying to sound all know it all, here I thought I actually discovered something unknown to us and could help.
I will not submit anything informative any more until I am sure of what I post.

As far as installing the driver after you download it, you can disconnect from the internet and turn off the firewall or windows stuff just for the install. The user does not need to be connected to the internet to install a driver after DL.

gl

pulltaboo

Jul 29, 2022
North GA
Flashing UARTs can be problematic, so it's not unique to Nokta. At least they don't need a "programming" cable for that! :laughing7:
Follow Nokta's own troubleshooting guide (don't skip any steps!), don't forget to try different USB ports on your computer… Updater works – I did it successfully on Win, Mac and Linux/Wine. In all 3 cases it was a PITA, but it works. Eventually.

bobinyelm

Greenie
Nov 5, 2022
Ahwatukee, AZ
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had endless problems getting mine to update.

FINALLY I got it (different from other instructions).

This is what finally worked for me:

Updating to V1.09 (or other upgrades) for The Legend

This series of steps worked for me when other did not. Try it if nothing else works!

1) Go to Nokia Website
2) Click on "Metal Detectors", and select "Coin and Relic," and then "The Legend"
3) Scroll Down to, and Click "Software Update" in the Left Column
4) Scroll to " Download: The Legend Update Tool (Windows) Includes System Software V1.09 - V1.07 - V1.05". and click once to Download to your Computer
5) Monitor the Download on the Lower Left of your screen...
6) When the Download is complete, Click : "Show in Folder"
7) Right Click on the highlighted file you downloaded, and click "Unzip All"
😎 You should have a File Called "the_legend_update_tool_v1_6_win"* containing 2 Unzipped Files. One will be"CP210_Windows_ Drivers," and "The_Legend_Update_Tool"
*Other files may have different names, of course.
9) Double Click on the "CP210_Windows_ Drivers" File and when it expands, double click on the "X64" and follow the instructions to load the drivers on your computer*
*Once you've downloaded and installed the drivers, you won't have to install those again.
10) Double Click on the file: "The_Legend_Update_Tool" (or the upgrade you wish) and click "Run" and follow the instructions precisely, plugging the Legend into your USB Port when asked .
Note for Update, after completing the above, do a Factory Reset (Step 8 under V1.09 Features shown below the new features of your download).

When you do Step 10 (above) a Step-by-Step tutorial video will open that will lead you through the complete process precisely,

Good luck, and if you have corrections, let me know and I will revise my post!

Bob

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently trying to update 1,10 on my iMac, just says "attempting to communicate", been trying for 15min

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great instructions. When I went from 1.04 to 1.09 it was a little confusing, but one you realize you must acquire the updating tool first it was a lot easier. Have not had any problem since. And that tool works for the Simplex as well. Updated my grandson's Simplex with ease.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Might get a legend pp but reading the update horror stories really gives me pause. No idea which version I’ll get from the factory so I assume I’ll need to do an update. Having no pc I’ve used a laptop at work successfully to update my Deus 2 so I can use it to do the Legend but I cannot say that I’m looking forward to the experience.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Might get a legend pp but reading the update horror stories really gives me pause. No idea which version I’ll get from the factory so I assume I’ll need to do an update. Having no pc I’ve used a laptop at work successfully to update my Deus 2 so I can use it to do the Legend but I cannot say that I’m looking forward to the experience.
It realy depends on what operating system you PC is on, I do not know anything about Mac so for me what I have found talking from a windows operating system on a PC i Highly recommend using a Windows 10 PC, i have tried both a windows 10 and a windows 11, I have yet to this day to get the update to work using my windows 11 Lap Top so I use windows 10 and with the new updater tool that came out after 1.09 was given to us it is a snap to do the updates as long as you use a windows 10 Lap top or desk top PC, the first updater tool prior to the updater tool that came after 1.09 was delivered was a freaking nightmare to try and do the updates, not that way any longer its about a 30 second process from start to finish.

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Yeah, use a computer with windows 10. After downloading, bottom left of your screen, in the box, click, open when done. When it gives you the files it's easier to hit, browse, and save the files to your Desktop so you can easily find them. You'll get two sets of files, drivers on the top, and update tool on the bottom. Don't click on the drivers, but the second set down, and the update tool will finally open up. Just follow the directions from there, very easy. It only took me maybe less than five minutes.

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Oh, yeah, don't forget to do a factory reset as soon as you get done.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure your PC has the proper USB/UART driver installed. It's mentioned on the Nokta site.

I'm using an old Windows 10 laptop with success every time, both Simplex and Legend updates.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used an iMac to update to 1.10. First attempt wheel kept spinning “looking for software” or something like that. So unplugged usb, plugged back in and it downloaded and installed no problem

spotsyrick

Greenie
Mar 3, 2023
It realy depends on what operating system you PC is on, I do not know anything about Mac so for me what I have found talking from a windows operating system on a PC i Highly recommend using a Windows 10 PC, i have tried both a windows 10 and a windows 11, I have yet to this day to get the update to work using my windows 11 Lap Top so I use windows 10 and with the new updater tool that came out after 1.09 was given to us it is a snap to do the updates as long as you use a windows 10 Lap top or desk top PC, the first updater tool prior to the updater tool that came after 1.09 was delivered was a freaking nightmare to try and do the updates, not that way any longer its about a 30 second process from start to finish.
I just got my Legend and it came with software 1.05 and I loaded the 1.11 software with a window 11 laptop and had no issues at all. Took maybe 5 minutes.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got my Legend and it came with software 1.05 and I loaded the 1.11 software with a window 11 laptop and had no issues at all. Took maybe 5 minutes.
I have tried every up date on my windows 11 Lap top first and none of the updates have worked, I am glad it worked for you can you tell me what steps you took to get it to work with your windows 11 Lap Top

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a two-year-old Windows 10 laptop that has worked for all the Legend updates and one Anfibio update. Microsoft keeps trying to get me to update to Windows 11, but I keep refusing it.

spotsyrick

Greenie
Mar 3, 2023
I have tried every up date on my windows 11 Lap top first and none of the updates have worked, I am glad it worked for you can you tell me what steps you took to get it to work with your windows 11 Lap Top
I just followed along with this video from youtube. This was for version 1.10 beta but instead just download the new 1.11 and follow everything else. Hope that works for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread