Possible to find points in a small mountain freestone creek?

gettothepoints

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2022
PA
Hello, new guy here looking for some advice for digging my first point. I have been searching a few freestone creeks near me but I’m wondering if it’s even possible here. Most of the guys I’ve seen digging seem to find points in creeks where the rocks are still sharp and aren’t so smoothly tumbled.

My thought is that if I were to find one it would have been washed out of the side of a bank very recently and be laying more on top?? Otherwise it would be tumbled smooth like the stones around it?

I’ve attached a picture of the type of stream I am looking in.

Attachments

• 9A32E652-217D-471A-89CC-B39B658CB40B.jpeg
    9A32E652-217D-471A-89CC-B39B658CB40B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 50
Upvote 6

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard gettothepoints! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state. You might also consider adding your state to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some research to determine if there was occupation in the area, if you can find that out. I would just do a lot of walking and do a surface survey first, looking for any indicators of a camp or village. You mentioned you saw guys digging, I would talk to them, too. I've found points in creeks. A few of the older ones show water erosion, most don't. Good luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted creeks, streams, and rivers for over 20 years in Missouri, looking behind anything that can slow or block the current, rocks, brush, and fallen trees, many times they are washed out of the edges of the banks and washed downstream after heavy rains they will fall behind objects that interfere with the flow of the current. Look on sand bars they will wash there and get stuck. The biggest trick is training your eyes to see them among the natural rocks.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Treasure Hunter says. Train your eyes and scan the ground thoroughly and then the out of place things of color and shape to the natural terrain will begin to reveal themselves. A thing I do is go ahead and pickup everything that looks out of place, such as pieces of glass, chips, flakes rusty nails and washers for a quick inspection and ever take a moment to determine what it might be. That regulates the pace of searching, or so it seems to me. Don't let time be a ruling factor when hunting for anything imo. Be that dog that has to stop and smell every out of place sent it goes by.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
points tend to move the same way broken glass does, so if you see shards of glass, look there.
Also look in creek bends and "holes"... pockets that are deeper than the surrounding water.... not deep deep, just deeper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread