Jan 10, 2005
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
Can anybody help ID this metal detecting find that I recovered this weekend. It appears to have runes etched into it and I wonder if it is some kind of charm. It ii made of Lead and about 20 mm wide at its widest point. On checking they do not seem to match any other runes I can find on google ? The reverse is blank.

Any help or information would be much appreciated

Thank you

Attachments

• Lead Rune 1.png
    Lead Rune 1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
  • Lead Rune, 2.png
    Lead Rune, 2.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 14

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you say not runes, not even sure if they were meant to be letters, the closest is a possible U & reverse S.:dontknow:
The lead looks well oxidised, so it's probably a couple of hundred years old.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
Can anybody help ID this metal detecting find that I recovered this weekend. It appears to have runes etched into it and I wonder if it is some kind of charm. It ii made of Lead and about 20 mm wide at its widest point. On checking they do not seem to match any other runes I can find on google ? The reverse is blank.

Any help or information would be much appreciated

Thank you
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
nashwen

nashwen

Jan 10, 2005
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, looking again, these are mostly in reverse & I can now see a 13-14th C style reverse letter 'E'.
Very interesting and thank you for your help, it would be good to be able to fully identify the original purpose.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting and thank you for your help, it would be good to be able to fully identify the original purpose.
I now believe its a homemade piece (not a craftsman's) trying to create a Lead Seal. It's probably circa 14th C, with the start & finish being the 4 spiked symbol. Most crafted versions normally start with a Cross.
Then the letters are ERS[U ] Not sure on the last letter, but sure on the others.
There is no Latin that I can find that fits this name (most likely) but it's probably someone who couldn't spell.
Interesting piece of folk art (for want of a better phrase)

Last edited:
OP
OP
nashwen

nashwen

Jan 10, 2005
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now believe its a homemade piece (not a craftsman's) trying to create a Lead Seal. It's probably circa 14th C, with the start & finish being the 4 spiked symbol. Most crafted versions normally start with a Cross.
Then the letter ERS[U ] Not sure on the last letter, but sure on the others.
There is no Latin that I can find that fits this name (most likely) but it's probably someone who couldn't spell.
Interesting piece of folk art (for want of a better phrase)
This gets even more interesting. Thanks again for the help and research, it was found in South west Wales in an area with old Irish connections (early medieval) I wonder if it could be Gaelic or if they had different runes/symbols?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This gets even more interesting. Thanks again for the help and research, it was found in South west Wales in an area with old Irish connections (early medieval) I wonder if it could be Gaelic or if they had different runes/symbols?
It could be a Gaelic/Latin translation or any other kind of Foreign influence like French.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions