Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how can ya go wrong? ITS FROM A CAN!!!!

you have to have this fresh, not in a can.

hubbys grandparents had trash can possum. catch them and keep/feed them in a trashcan for about 1-2 weeks. feed them grain and good veggies then the taste was way better. just like pork. feed a pig crappola and it tastes like ick. feed a hog good one type of feed without garbage etc in its diet and you have wonderful tasting pork.

now everyone needs their possum in their diet. It is good clean eats. :)
would I eat it, heck no!!! lol but then again I ain't starving right now

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
how can ya go wrong? ITS FROM A CAN!!!!

you have to have this fresh, not in a can.

hubbys grandparents had trash can possum. catch them and keep/feed them in a trashcan for about 1-2 weeks. feed them grain and good veggies then the taste was way better. just like pork. feed a pig crappola and it tastes like ick. feed a hog good one type of feed without garbage etc in its diet and you have wonderful tasting pork.

now everyone needs their possum in their diet. It is good clean eats. :)
would I eat it, heck no!!! lol but then again I ain't starving right now

A southern friend once told me the way to fix possum was to pick them up off a road on a rainy night, clean them up--cut off that tail and put them in the freezer. When you forgot what that tail looked like you could thaw one out and cook it.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
After seeing a few of those survival shows and the stuff they eat...canned possum sounds pretty good.

Attachments

• possum.jpg
    possum.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 847
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
After seeing a few of those survival shows and the stuff they eat...canned possum sounds pretty good.

The problem is pure psychological. Is a possum any less noble than a salmon simply because he looks a lot like a rat and lives off rotten roadkill? I think not.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or a lobster. aren't those the bottom trash eating ugly butt critters of the ocean floor. but are top dollar to buy.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Crawdads are a lot cheaper then lobster and taste better. Yeah they are bottom feeders but so are catfish and shrimp and you can put that on my plate anytime.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got to have a side of pickled paw paw's with the canned possum along with a side of sorghum, owl gizzards & sheep testicles. **EDIT**... Oh gosh I forgot the dang gopher gravy, that's the icing on the cake there!

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Always heard get them out of fruit trees in the fall for best flavor. As opposed to kicking a dead horse. The last one i ate,(blame part on my cooking skills) tasted about like a wet dog smells.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rats that are from the rice paddies are good too, but I never had to clean one, so that might have turned me off.

S

stefen

Eating road kill thats been pulverized by offroad knobby tires is like having neck meat tenderized (cube steak)...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In high school we had a biology teacher that liked to live off the land. He harvested fresh roadkill, and would brag about it. When he hunted wild game such as duck, he would hang it up by the neck for a few days. He said when the body was about ready to seperate, it was ready to cook.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread