Post Pics of your gold, treasures found in the Supers here!

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
All gold from the Superstition Mountains.

View attachment 1681094 Roberts, Worst placer gold

View attachment 1681095 Roberts, Worst placer gold

View attachment 1681097 85% hand cobbed gold

View attachment 1681098 hand cobbed gold

View attachment 1681099 piece from under Waltz bed

View attachment 1681100 Jim Hatt gold

View attachment 1681102 Cinnabar and Realgar from Mercury Mine.

It just doesn't seem like the place to find placer gold.

PG.jpg

application-pdf.png
Placer gold deposits of Arizona - Map plate

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
It seems to be where people report finding it.
Not one example in the Sups?
hal...people have found gold in many places where it hasn't been reported....i have found it on bush highway down by the river...four peaks...the goldfield mountains...i know quite a few people that have panned gold from many places in the supers

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
hal...people have found gold in many places where it hasn't been reported....i have found it on bush highway down by the river...four peaks...the goldfield mountains...i know quite a few people that have panned gold from many places in the supers

I have never tried it.
Panned gold can travel a good distance with heavy rains, I assume.

I read that the Superstitions were void of gold deposits, officially. Not geologically correct/conducive.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I have never tried it.
Panned gold can travel a good distance with heavy rains, I assume.

I read that the Superstitions were void of gold deposits, officially. Not geologically correct/conducive.
hal....according to the geologist's the supers are mostly volcanic and void of valuable minerals.....but i have seen alot of gold come from the supers..i have even seen it in place in quartz....next time you are in there take a pan with you and check some of the washes...you should be able to find color in alot of them...

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
That rough placer with black heavies, in the pic above that Matthew and Clay found, is very interesting indeed. Bet they thought so too! It APPEARS to have not moved very far from the source. Depending on the actual circumstances of how and where they found it, they may be on to something very good. Stuff like that is not often talked about or posted, but it's not the only such find in that area that I've heard of or seen ;)

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
That rough placer with black heavies, in the pic above that Matthew and Clay found, is very interesting indeed. Bet they thought so too! It APPEARS to have not moved very far from the source. Depending on the actual circumstances of how and where they found it, they may be on to something very good. Stuff like that is not often talked about or posted, but it's not the only such find in that area that I've heard of or seen ;)

I'll leave gold panning to those who know what their looking for.
Understanding history and a perfect view are enough.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I'll leave gold panning to those who know what their looking for.
Understanding history and a perfect view are enough.

Once you get started with your own gold pan, you won't want to quit.

Ditto to Dave's words on gold being where you find it. I found gold in NW Nebraska, of all places, just happened to be tearing around on a back road and spotted a tell tale stringer of black sand running right across the road and had to try it. Sure enough there was gold, not enough to pay for the gas to get there but a tiny amount. Even found gold while digging the water lines on my place here in SD, unfortunately it works out to about $20 worth of gold if I were to rip up the entire place. I have panned gold in the Superstitions in a number of places but it was never very much, it didn't even cover the bottom of a little half ounce glass vial from years of panning samples. Also found gold in quartz in the Superstitions, but again it was just a tiny amount nothing to get excited over.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Once you get started with your own gold pan, you won't want to quit.

Ditto to Dave's words on gold being where you find it. I found gold in NW Nebraska, of all places, just happened to be tearing around on a back road and spotted a tell tale stringer of black sand running right across the road and had to try it. Sure enough there was gold, not enough to pay for the gas to get there but a tiny amount. Even found gold while digging the water lines on my place here in SD, unfortunately it works out to about $20 worth of gold if I were to rip up the entire place. I have panned gold in the Superstitions in a number of places but it was never very much, it didn't even cover the bottom of a little half ounce glass vial from years of panning samples. Also found gold in quartz in the Superstitions, but again it was just a tiny amount nothing to get excited over.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Yes, South Dakota has gold and every State but North Dakota they say. But Frank does well in the Supers and some others including me. So it’s There, Silver Too.

Wrmickel1

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, this is from about 100 miles North of the Supers, but how many of you have seen Bornite (Peacock) Ore that looked like this?

IMG_20190609_175820.jpg

IMG_20190609_213241.jpg

Mike

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, this is from about 100 miles North of the Supers, but how many of you have seen Bornite (Peacock) Ore that looked like this?

View attachment 1727372

View attachment 1727373

Mike

I have. Tons of the stuff in situ, included as part of a massive sulfide vein that also yielded argentite (silver), galena (lead), sphalerite (zinc) and free gold picture rock in quartz vugs and stringers - all in seemingly unending quantities. Idarado Mining Company, Red Mountain Pass CO, ten-hundred level, 1974.

A lot of the guys made beer money selling mineral specimens to Benji's Rock Shop in Ouray, but they kept the gold for themselves.

Idarado ore.jpg

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gollum,
There is a bit of that ore in the Orogande N.M. mining areas north of El Paso, Tx., south of Alamogordo, N. M. Hwy 54 bordering the White Sands Missile Range/McGregor Range of Ft. Bliss. Very little gold there but the GP of A actually has a small site there for its members. That small site is very mineral-rich, but has a lot of high grade iron ore and abandoned mines all over the place. B L M controlled.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have. Tons of the stuff in situ, included as part of a massive sulfide vein that also yielded argentite (silver), galena (lead), sphalerite (zinc) and free gold picture rock in quartz vugs and stringers - all in seemingly unending quantities. Idarado Mining Company, Red Mountain Pass CO, ten-hundred level, 1974.

A lot of the guys made beer money selling mineral specimens to Benji's Rock Shop in Ouray, but they kept the gold for themselves.

View attachment 1727472

Thanks Steve,

Like I said, I have seen a ton of Peacock Ore, but I have never seen it "STRIPED" as in the first pic. I will say though, it was from the opposite side of a hill from a very old (never claimed) working. A trench cut about 25 feet deep and fifty feet long. These rocks came from the same vein, and your mineral content is eerily similar. A lot of uplifted shale with fat stringers and veins of quartz. The only big difference is this area also includes massive copper. This vein is about one and a half miles from the old Iron King Mine in Humboldt Mining Dist. Its near a place called Galena Gulch LOL.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Steve,

Like I said, I have seen a ton of Peacock Ore, but I have never seen it "STRIPED" as in the first pic. I will say though, it was from the opposite side of a hill from a very old (never claimed) working. A trench cut about 25 feet deep and fifty feet long. These rocks came from the same vein, and your mineral content is eerily similar. A lot of uplifted shale with fat stringers and veins of quartz. The only big difference is this area also includes massive copper. This vein is about one and a half miles from the old Iron King Mine in Humboldt Mining Dist. Its near a place called Galena Gulch LOL.

There are numerous occurrences of high-grade gold found in massive copper deposits. The Santa Rita del Cobre in NM featured tons of native copper on the surface of the deeper copper deposit, but also very plentiful free gold alongside the bornite veins early in the mine's development by the Spaniards. As you know, it's my suspicion that this ore was the source of the Noss copper bars he was trying to peddle as gold in the 30s. The high copper content of those bars carried a dark tarnish, causing Doc to originally mistake them for "pig iron". Of course, I could be wrong.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are numerous occurrences of high-grade gold found in massive copper deposits. The Santa Rita del Cobre in NM featured tons of native copper on the surface of the deeper copper deposit, but also very plentiful free gold alongside the bornite veins early in the mine's development by the Spaniards. As you know, it's my suspicion that this ore was the source of the Noss copper bars he was trying to peddle as gold in the 30s. The high copper content of those bars carried a dark tarnish, causing Doc to originally mistake them for "pig iron". Of course, I could be wrong.

The typical copper mine has about 2% gold content. The gold pays for extraction and refining, so the copper is pure profit. The gold and silver content is why Resolution Trust Corporation went to all the trouble it did to snatch the Apache's Land East of the Supers for Copper Mining.

Mike

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
The typical copper mine has about 2% gold content. The gold pays for extraction and refining, so the copper is pure profit. The gold and silver content is why Resolution Trust Corporation went to all the trouble it did to snatch the Apache's Land East of the Supers for Copper Mining.

Mike
mike..quite a few of my friends have worked in the ray pit and inspiration mine...the mines may claim only 2% to the irs but take my word for it....its alot higher and does more than just pay for equipment

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread