Posting A Photo? Read Here First!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lucky for me I have a dumb phone. Good info to know.

Reds Phone is Semi Dumb, We took a Picture Of My Best Quarter Find With It Note remembering this And Lucky We took it In Whole Different Park!!! The Next week end There Were Several New Detectors Swinging!!! Still Havent figure out how to disable the Gps But I will!!! Note do not take pictures On Site Unless Yor sure Your Phone, Iphone, Tablet, Camera or What ever your Using to take Pictures Is NUTERED Chug Thanks for the Reminder And keep it Poping Up Once In Awhile Chug

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reds Phone is Semi Dumb, We took a Picture Of My Best Quarter Find With It Note remembering this And Lucky We took it In Whole Different Park!!! The Next week end There Were Several New Detectors Swinging!!! Still Havent figure out how to disable the Gps But I will!!! Note do not take pictures On Site Unless Yor sure Your Phone, Iphone, Tablet, Camera or What ever your Using to take Pictures Is NUTERED Chug Thanks for the Reminder And keep it Poping Up Once In Awhile Chug

Hmmmm, seems a good way to get revenge too. Put up a pic with the gps intact. Only, take it in a median strip, downtown, in the seedier side of town, then, sit in your car and take some more pics to share. Of the idiots who show up! LOL

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Wow that's good info about gps never would have thought. Good thing I'm so deep in the boondocks that I don't get any service when I'm taking prospecting photos lol.

Dirty Genu

Apr 5, 2013
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500 - AT Max - MXT All Pro - SOV GT - ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if it works on mine please . I have the original droid my camera has a record location option that is off. I love to and love it when people include site pics.

Where is the record location option in a Droid. I can't find it.

HammerHead

Jun 5, 2013
Scotland, UK
Detector(s) used
Viking
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea at all, thanks for the info. I will stick with a digital camera and leave the phone at home. thanks for that.

paisley

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2013
SC & FL
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight 9-Function (newbie)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPS on cell phones

And, as you probably know, it's a whole lot worse now!

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea at all, thanks for the info. I will stick with a digital camera and leave the phone at home. thanks for that.

Hello HammerHead, I've been told that a number of/ if not all, the newer digital cameras also have GPS recording capabilities. I have not heard whether or not you can disable this feature or not- but definitely worth checking on I believe.

HH yelnif

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cell-clutch.jpg

I think my GPS of off...????? Hello? Hello??? anyone there......???? :laughing7:

very good info!!!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have locations that I need coordinates on, so this works in reverse too. You can get coords this way. Poor mans gps so to say. But be mindful google plus products now automatically download pictures, or your facebook will update you location now too. For my pictures on here, I use a cell phone that does not have the new gps feature most of them are coming out with now. I also have to be careful how I share my sd memory cards, as I have several cameras I use them in. This is a great post, Im glad you shared.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm, seems a good way to get revenge too. Put up a pic with the gps intact. Only, take it in a median strip, downtown, in the seedier side of town, then, sit in your car and take some more pics to share. Of the idiots who show up! LOL

This is the only way I take pics with my phone, I uses the location services so I dont turn the feature off. If you want to follow this fat man, your gonna need some rope and a few helpers lol.

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sadly the outcome of that in your scenario you give is a sickining truth of the tactics of others, but also I have heard criminals using such photo posts to "set/scope" robbery targets. Remeber that when you are taking the picture of the tiffany brooch you found and post it online... keep the cell phones for the duck face poses and use a good ole camera to show us your loots.

Jul 28, 2013
Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, BH Lone Star, BH Discovery 1100, Bounty Hunter Junior, White's Bulleye II PP. Previous owner of BH QuickSilver and another BH Jr. Working my way up.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also not good to keep it on at home or work... Then folks can know where you live, work, shop, play, etc. Criminals can also use this to know when you aren't home, and where you are uploading your "vacation", fishing, hunting, MD, pics from; for those that love to instantly upload to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google +., etc. Turn off GPS and turn off Geo-tagging on your smartphones if you want to be safe.

I'm new here. I will try to ( file is over 2 MB) upload my pic of my finds with my new Coinmaster GT, from my little vacation in Jacksonville, FL last weekend. I didn't keep all the larger trash I found (beer and soda cans, large foil, and other bottle caps and pull-tabs). I only kept a few trash items to use to test our detectors out. The kids and nephew helped me with our Bounty Hunter Lone-Star, Discovery 1100, and Bounty Hunter, Jr. I let them keep all their finds. Even the ones I found with the Coinmaster GT, but to make it fun for them, let them confirm with their Bounty Hunters. The Bounty Hunter, Jr serves as a good pin-pointer, if you don't have a handheld pin-pointer, or pin point feature in your detector. Our first day at the beach we only had the Bounty Hunters, to kill time with. Picked up the Coinmaster GT and White's Bullseye II, along with my sand scoop with long handle last Friday. I cannot wait to purchase a salt water/surf/wet sand metal detector for my future trips to Florida, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and Jersey Shores (Beaches). I need to head out to Ocean City Maryland or some beaches in Delaware, to test out/fine tune the Coinmaster GT in Beach mode, to see if I can get the sensitivity stable enough for at least the wet sand at the erosion and tide lines. The Coinmaster GT worked perfect in dry sand, and was finding items deep in the sand in Jacksonville Beach, FL. The problem with Jacksonville Beach, is that many people like to illegally bring beer to the beach, and when they see the beach patrol and police coming, they bury their cans deep into the sand to get rid of the evidence. But I have noticed that with the CM GT, the cans register multiple VID numbers and tones. But since I'm still new, I dig everything, just in case it's jewelry made of different metals/alloys, and/or different coins near each other, which I have found before.

Jeanne

Jun 15, 2013
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told years ago when cell phones first came out that the GPS readings are tucked away in the "properties".:dontknow:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad this thread popped up again.i usually have my location services turned on because if I ever lose my iphone I have an app called Find My Phone which will track it.If I ever find anything noteworthy I will be sure and wait until I get home to upload it here.

dave sharky

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jason im in the Philippines i think that,s the same fish here or the name is very good to eat i look here i found a 1945 coin with United States and a eagle i thought that was so cool many rings here but made out of a ten peso coin not good i did find a gold ring and silver braclet and a silver spoon in the sulu sea and still looked nice good hunting.

R.B.

Oct 27, 2013
Princeton, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Platinum Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info to have. I just wish I knew how to post a photo. It asks for the "URL", and I have no idea what that is. There is no option to browse for the photo that I have saved to my laptop. Guess I need to get a little more computer savvy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread