TulsaPllTbFndr

Apr 3, 2013
Tulsa, OK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's M6, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I had no idea about this. Thx for the heads up.

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that if you have a GPS enabled Cell Phone, and you take pics of your new find, the GPS coordinates of your find are available to anyone who can see the picture!!!! There is a header with information called Meta Data at the front of every image file. Phones with GPS include this data in the header, and it can easily be read with Photoshop and a few free tools available online. We should all be VERY CAREFUL when taking pics from GPS enabled cell phones, especially at our secret dig sites! I almost gave away my site that has been giving up Indian bone tools and pre-forms.

Here is a link explaining how to turn GPS tagging off in today's most popular phones.
I Can Stalk U - Raising awareness about inadvertent information sharing

Here's what the U.S. Military recently told it's Soldiers:
"But soldiers who upload photos to Facebook "could broadcast the exact location of their unit," wrote Rodewig, citing Steve Warren, an administrative officer in the intelligence office of the Army's Maneuver Center of Excellence (MCoE). Warren gave Rodewig a chilling example of the consequences of geo-tagging:

When a new fleet of helicopters arrived with an aviation unit at a base in Iraq, some soldiers took pictures on the flightline, he said. From the photos that were uploaded to the Internet, the enemy was able to determine the exact location of the helicopters inside the compound and conduct a mortar attack, destroying four of the AH-64 Apaches."

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/t...an-kill-405150

Special Thanks to LostCauses for originally bringing this to my attention.

Good info. I've been stripping EXIF data from my pics for as long as I can remember.

One other thing to consider when posting pictures of your finds, DO NOT show close-ups of your fingertips. It would be easy for a would be criminal to hijack your identity - I know, it happened to me many years ago. It took forever to get it cleared up. I do NOT wish that on anybody - I was "this" close to losing EVERYTHING!

I'm not saying anyone on Tnet would do such a low down act but, it's better to be safe than sorry.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I figured it out, you must remove the comma's from the GPS numbers and add a zero in front of any single digits. 80,9.11 errors out, but 80 09.11 works perfectly.

YOU DON’T SAY?!!
Oh I know language barrier probably!

FC8E738E-DF6C-47E9-923A-FD055A87652A.jpeg

C9720F1E-4185-4F2E-B39F-7A239A4B54E9.jpeg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MayaWilson is no longer a member, MayaWilson and JoshFerguson were both using same static ip from country in Europe, Josh had already made spam posts and banned. Josh claimed in a post he lived in Pa 12 miles from Dent's Run.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep trying to use the posting photo tool but nothing loads. Could my file be too big or small? I shrank it way down but it still will not upload!

D

Deleted member 110535

What I do is give the screenshot instead. I suppose one from the phone at the location would be just as bad. A person should do it later and maybe from a location with no other cameras for that extra measure of protection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread