Pot Head Detectorist

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
SO I was out today testing out my machines I just got back from the police. I just need to make sure they work proper according to my insurance company.

This man walks up on me and strikes up a conversation. He was an American, and he said man your and American too. Now keep in mind this fella was MDing with a CTX 3030, I assume because I was testing one my self that is why he walked up on me.

So I asked him if he had found anything. He says yeah man, lots of stuff but he is too stoned to really dig it. I am standing there with my Interpol wind breaker on and my issued side arm. I just sort of chuckled and said what was that buddy. He starts going on about the killer pot in Italy. Says the price is high but really worth it.

A couple minutes later he asked me what resort I was staying at. I said my house is right here. He says well thats cool but he was hoping that I was staying at the same resort he is because he has no idea where it is at, but would know his way around it once he gets inside.

Then he says well cool for you in having a house here in Italy, he says what do you do. I tell him its on my wind breaker. He says Oh wow man, I thought you got that at the flea market. So I said and the side arm, and he says is it real.

Now I am trying very hard not to start laughing my butt off, however at the same time I am trying hard not to bother him either because I am really enjoying this conversation.

He goes on about some odd stuff about animals and beaches, I could not keep up at all. Then he says OK man I need some help. He says he needs to make it back to his resort but has no idea which one it is. So I tell him that he is most likely staying at Europa Camp, and he asked me why I thought that, so I told him because he is wearing an electronic resort ID arm band. I then said well unless you found it. He says he is pretty sure he did not find it because he is too stones to dig anything up.

I started to tell him about where Europe Camp is located, but he pulls out a small joint and lights it up. I was like screw it and just offered to give him a ride back to his sight.

About half way there a friend of mine is standing in a traffic circle in his civilian clothing with his Berretta M12 strapped over his chest and with 2 Uniform Officers. He sees my SUV and signals me to pull over: so I hit my lights and pull over. He just wanted to ask how things where going and invite me out for some fishing in the morning.

He catches that distinct smell of pot and just looks at me. I told him to just get in that we will only be a few minutes and will bring him right back.

So we take this Pot Head MDer to Europe Camp and asked at the front gate if he happened to be a guest there. They knew him straight away and told us where he was staying at, so I told them to open the gates. We go drop him off, make sure he gets settled in and go to leave. We walk out of his bungalow and Resort management is standing there at my SUV. Trying to be as kind and professional as they could they asked if everything was alright.

I said yes all was fine, that one of their guest wondered about 9 miles down the beach, seem dehydrated and certainly was lost so we brought him back. My buddy standing there says, mostly likely because he has smoked too much weed, he says I wonder where an American would get weed at here.

We get in the SUV and drive off back to that traffic circle. I was cracking up telling him all about this guy, he was cracking up because when he got in my SUV the guy got very nervous. I am sure that machine gun my mate had really screwed up his high.

We get back to the traffic circle my mate was at and the uniforms asked what was going on, so my mate tells him what was going on. The one uniform gets all pissy about someone smoking pot in public. I was keeping my own thoughts to my self, his partner tells him it is not a bad drug. By now there is a full blown debate in a traffic circle about if smoking pot should be allowed. The one pissy cop asked me what I thought, I told him it grows naturally, if you do not like it then bust the dealers and growers. My buddy says the same thing, and says nothing would stick at all busting an American Tourist for smoking weed, that his embassy would most likely assist in locating who the pot came from but that would be about it. The other uniform starts telling his partner he does not know how he can get so angry about this because back in high school they both smoked pot.

Anyway, I tested 2 machines and they seem fine. This stoner was the first person I have ever seen on these beaches out side my family who MD's, and to top it off he says he was too stoned to dig. I had about 2 hours of pure fun. My buddy is convinced that the resort is dealing pot and now they will most likely not deal anymore this season because they think the police are on to them.

So I have to ask; does anyone else here smoke pot while MDing? If so does it have any affect on your methods of MDing?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been smoking pot since I was 13-years-old. I love smoking a hooter and then detecting. Relaxed, focused on the headphones, and pulltabs don't bother me as much. :skullflag:

Attachments

• Terryswallpaper.jpg
    Terryswallpaper.jpg
    837.9 KB · Views: 857

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Oddjob!! Hilarious!! Amazed the guy didn't detect his own shoe laces!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, I can't smoke if I'm gonna be doing anything strenuous or anything that requires concentration. Á few years ago, me and a friend went gold panning. He passes me his one-hitter and I take a few tokes. The next two hours were spent just lying in the grass beside the river, lazing around and enjoying the beautiful day. Meanwhile, my friend was scoring some nice flour gold. So yeah, if I smoke, I need to be horizontal, listening to some mellow tunes.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story - I thought it would be a lot of pothead
Bashing, but it was funny. Boy, was that guy a fool. I have heard herb is highly illegal in Italy. Maybe he'd have a better time in Holland.

Marijuana and Metal Detecting go togeather fine. I wouldn't want any beer in me to make me feel heavy. A little herb though, can help give you a second wind.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Good story - I thought it would be a lot of pothead
Bashing, but it was funny. Boy, was that guy a fool. I have heard herb is highly illegal in Italy. Maybe he'd have a better time in Holland.

Marijuana and Metal Detecting go togeather fine. I wouldn't want any beer in me to make me feel heavy. A little herb though, can help give you a second wind.

No mate, you will never hear any pot head bashing from me or anyone working on my Team. We work serious crimes, those guys that work dope I have never worked with. I just can not see putting a law on something that grows natural. Be like telling me I could not fish anymore. Just some law from folks who could not find a way to tax back in the day.

We do have our share of u tight folks where I work though, in the EU Snuff and Chew is illegal. Because it causes cancer, but smoking all in public is just fine. I have even had a few tards with the sack to try and tell me chew is illegal, even had a customs Officer in Germany try to take my chew once. I chewed his butt out right there and shoved my creds all in his face and let him know that we could create a very big problem right here and right now, and when it is all said and done his DA will being telling me he is he sorry while I eat my Redman.

But yes Pot is looked at one of two ways in Italy by cops. Either they are very serious and hard on smokers or they just do not see it. Normally the guys who have jobs that put our lives in danger just do not care.

Me I was just shocked. This guy had me cracking up with the stuff he was saying. So he smoked a little pot, the only threat was his own hydration level but I gave him some water. 9 miles down the beach; man I wish my CTX 3030 battery would last 9 miles of grid searching and surf searching. Too stoned to dig his finds, I was cracking up.

Can knock someone on holiday just enjoying life and nature. I wish half the pricks we went after smoked like this guy, geck I would be out of a job, they could send those winers in HR to arrest terrorist then. LOL

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Tried it as a kid (gee, thanks big sis!) but didn't like what it did to me. Never touched it again.

I feel about pot the same as I feel about alcohol - it's fine in moderation. When it starts playing with your mind, it's time to stop. I was drunk one time in my life. Was on base (USAF) and, in a 3-hour period with an empty stomach, I had 1 beer, 2 Tom Collins, 3 Long Island Ice Teas, and 1 of something I don't even know. Drove back to the dorm from the NCO Club, but noticed I was really having to struggle to drive "normally". Fortunately no other traffic! Got back to my room and tried to crash for the night. Had to go to work the next day, but every time I closed my eyes the room started spinning. Well, woke up 4 hours later without an alarm. No headache, no bloodshot eyes, no nothing. Just got up, went to work and had a great day. ...Never did eat anything, though, until breakfast.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mate, you will never hear any pot head bashing from me or anyone working on my Team. We work serious crimes, those guys that work dope I have never worked with. I just can not see putting a law on something that grows natural. Be like telling me I could not fish anymore. Just some law from folks who could not find a way to tax back in the day.

We do have our share of u tight folks where I work though, in the EU Snuff and Chew is illegal. Because it causes cancer, but smoking all in public is just fine. I have even had a few tards with the sack to try and tell me chew is illegal, even had a customs Officer in Germany try to take my chew once. I chewed his butt out right there and shoved my creds all in his face and let him know that we could create a very big problem right here and right now, and when it is all said and done his DA will being telling me he is he sorry while I eat my Redman.

But yes Pot is looked at one of two ways in Italy by cops. Either they are very serious and hard on smokers or they just do not see it. Normally the guys who have jobs that put our lives in danger just do not care.

Me I was just shocked. This guy had me cracking up with the stuff he was saying. So he smoked a little pot, the only threat was his own hydration level but I gave him some water. 9 miles down the beach; man I wish my CTX 3030 battery would last 9 miles of grid searching and surf searching. Too stoned to dig his finds, I was cracking up.

Can knock someone on holiday just enjoying life and nature. I wish half the pricks we went after smoked like this guy, geck I would be out of a job, they could send those winers in HR to arrest terrorist then. LOL
Yeah, weed is highly demonized here in the United States, especially down south. But the same ones who were raised to hate and fear it are oftentimes the same ones who don't mind drinking their beer or whiskey.

I was raised in the south but I live up north now. The attitude up here towards weed is no different than the attitude towards someone having a beer. Kind of refreshing to see, actually.

Funny how public perception is so influenced by the laws that control us.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's legal here in Oregon in Colorado, Washington DC, Washington state and Alaska. Recreational that is, medical, many more states. A YUUUUUGE tax-base, and I have yet to see "wasted zombies" roaming the streets....except I heard of someone in Italy a bit off...:laughing7:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh.........memories.........starting in '71, I used to really enjoy a toke........
Maybe it is a personality trait or genetic trait, but I ended up going down that dark road of drug experimentation and abuse.
On April Fools Day 1986, I realized it was a slow form of suicide for me and I quit everything cold turkey. I won't bore you with the detox details, but suffice it to say it was HELL!!! I've been clean for 30+ years.......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, weed is highly demonized here in the United States, especially down south. But the same ones who were raised to hate and fear it are oftentimes the same ones who don't mind drinking their beer or whiskey.

I was raised in the south but I live up north now. The attitude up here towards weed is no different than the attitude towards someone having a beer. Kind of refreshing to see, actually.

Funny how public perception is so influenced by the laws that control us.

Well l have never did any type of drug and i am 75 and i do not drink beer or whiskey and it is not a religious thing either for me that is like a drug to some also..... I do not hate it or fear it , i just like to have a clear head and mind all the time...I do not care if ones do drugs or drink but do not try to get me to do either ... I do not under stand doing drugs or drunks why put your body through that .... LIKE I SAID I DO NOT HATE OR FEAR IT I JUST THINK IT IS STUPID TO DO IT...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well l have never did any type of drug and i am 75 and i do not drink beer or whiskey and it is not a religious thing either for me that is like a drug to some also..... I do not hate it or fear it , i just like to have a clear head and mind all the time...I do not care if ones do drugs or drink but do not try to get me to do either ... I do not under stand doing drugs or drunks why put your body through that .... LIKE I SAID I DO NOT HATE OR FEAR IT I JUST THINK IT IS STUPID TO DO IT...

I respect that. I like a scotch or three, like beer too. I have known people that were "health" food only yet still got cancer...:icon_scratch: I have been asked...why do you drink? Well, addiction and/or makes me feel good!
Jes like sex!!:laughing7:
My wife without her coffee....oh boy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread