Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your losses.
My g-grand father on my father's side , was in the 7th Calvary, CSA
POW in Memphis,TN. Signed and armistice. Of course back in those days an armistice was usually good for eye sight. In other words, when you were out of eye sight, you started fighting again.
I'm glad he made it through the war, for I would not be this person..
He passed in 1918 from the flu @ 18 Manning Street, Hill City, TN . Now called North Chattanooga,TN
You can get a lot of info from Washington, DC for less that $20.
He mustered out of the war 1865, @ Powell's Crossroads , North of Knoxville,TN

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that a Union soldier from my father's side of the family died at Andersonville prison and a Confederate soldier on my mother's side died at Fort Delaware prison. Ironically Fort Delaware was known as the Andersonville of the north.
I've been to Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island. In the summer & fall you can take a boat out to Fort Delaware for tours. They have very good reenact-ors there that will interact with you like it's still 1863. Unless you tell them to take their hat off. Then they'll come out of character.
Fort Delaware is not a large fort when you see it & it's hard to believe it held 33000 Confederate POWS. Over 2400 POWS died from the over crowding & poor conditions at the fort.
I rode my bicycle to Fort Dupont today & took picture of Fort Delaware. On the other side of the Delaware River is Fort Mott State Park in New Jersey where Fort Delaware Confederate POWS are bury.

Attachments

• DSC00152.JPG
    DSC00152.JPG
    510.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1523.jpeg
    IMG_1523.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. The one that died at Andersonvile was John Gouff and the one that died at Ft. Delaware was Reuben Comer. John was captured at Duffields (sic) station and Reuben was captured at Spotsylvania.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ancestors on both sides of family that fought in CW, both Union and Southern, my father's side the north, my mothers side the south. On mothers side great grandfather was in Florida's Confederate 1st then 3rd Infantry division. He was captured and survived prison camp. What was left of the 1st infantry was rolled into the 3rd due to high casualties in the 1st.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread