Prairie Rattlers

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camped a couple of days in the San Luis Valley. Look closely at that first pic. There's a prairie rattler underneath those weeds. I spotted him just before I stepped on him, which would have been the most exciting part of the day for me and him both. I was wishing I could have got a better pic. Later on, back at camp, I was setting up my bedroll and this rascal comes easing on in, just making himself at home, not concerned with me at all. I figured that wouldn't work out, so I kicked dirt at him and he eased on back out. They aren't real aggressive, and they don't bother me as long as I know where they're at, but I do not sleep directly on the ground in this area anymore since that one buzzed me awake that one morning.
View attachment 2045714 View attachment 2045715 View attachment 2045717
Thanks for the pictures :) Please remind me to NEVER come out there and go CAMPING WITH YOU LOL

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great, Gare, but if you're ever down here, you'll be fine and fit right in wherever I would go. I think you would have really liked that Red Desert in Wyoming where I camped last week. You should check that area out and see what you think.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to go out to the Saratoga Wyoming area an d deer and coyote hunt :)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had more enjoyment coyote hunting then i did deer hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another bit of information out west I learned . I made the mistake asking how many acres the rancher owned . He got real fired up and told me it was NONE of my business !!! He then asked me "How would I like it if he asked me how much money i had in the bank. Said that about the same thing asking a rancher how much land he owned .

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camped a couple of days in the San Luis Valley. Look closely at that first pic. There's a prairie rattler underneath those weeds. I spotted him just before I stepped on him, which would have been the most exciting part of the day for me and him both. I was wishing I could have got a better pic. Later on, back at camp, I was setting up my bedroll and this rascal comes easing on in, just making himself at home, not concerned with me at all. I figured that wouldn't work out, so I kicked dirt at him and he eased on back out. They aren't real aggressive, and they don't bother me as long as I know where they're at, but I do not sleep directly on the ground in this area anymore since that one buzzed me awake that one morning.
View attachment 2045714 View attachment 2045715 View attachment 2045717
Wow You have very very good vision to spot that
Glad all is well
The rattlers are in our area also but I’ve never seen any..
Although I had a copperhead pass by very close
Nice post thanks again for sharing

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two years ago 2020 a guy camping in Medix Run pa was getting a piece of firewood from his stack and got bit my a rattler. I understand he did not know where to go for help and there is no cell signal in the area. he died from it :( Medix is BOUT 20 miles SE of St Marys
Pa

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a bad deal, Gare. Mostly if you can stay calm, cool, and collected after a rattlesnake bite you'll make it. Depends too on where they hit you, and I think it has a lot to do with your system. In Oklahoma, everybody we knew that was bitten by a copperhead survived, but it seemed to affect their mind afterward, they weren't the same. We saw cattle that were bit by copperheads and they were pretty much crazy after that.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reginn thats pretty good info thanks for the reply

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread