Prepping an ammonite from Lake Texhoma

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I missed the Fossil Friday post by a day. The cold weather lately has kept me indoors and away from fossil exploration, so here is a partial prep of a partial ammonite from the Lake Texhoma Duck creek fm. Prepping something no true separation of "fossil" and matrix is quite challenging, especially considering how well they can, at times, weather out and become separated naturally.

The matrix seems to be getting harder to separate as I move toward smaller sections. I can make out that this does have the inner whorls , so I dont want to blow them out. This has really slowed me down on this prep. It seems like my larger scribe (with a blunter tip) is doing better at removing the matrix than my smaller CP9160 which is a lot more prone to just piercing through.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool labour of love for sure. I thought i saw an air abaision unit in the background, or is it a sand blaster? do you use it on your fossil finds?

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool labour of love for sure. I thought i saw an air abaision unit in the background, or is it a sand blaster? do you use it on your fossil finds?
Its a sandblasting cabinet I use for air-abrasion. I use it on most of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread