Preserving with Vaseline?

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on preserving relics and coins with a coating of vaseline. I have started to apply a fine layer of vaseline on my stuff after they have been cleaned. It really makes them look nice, but I'm starting to wonder if this could somehow be a bad practice. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
-Swartzie

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use it on some better copper coins and olive oil would do the same, it's just a matter of slicking them up.

For the majority of stuff to be coated for either looks or preservation I prefer wax. Keep in mind there's a lot of dug stuff that looks better as dug or after a light cleaning, and shouldn't be coated. People who first get into coating stuff often make some bad choices. Every find is different so it's a matter of what is best for that particular type condition.

Napper

Mar 8, 2010
West Sussex
Detector(s) used
spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Swartzie,I was advised never to use vaseline (petroleum based) on coins or artifacts as it will have a long term effect on the object. This advise was given by a Museum Conservator at one of our club meetings. His advise was to use a wax ie; Bees wax for example, or better still a product used in the British Museum called Renaissance Wax. I don't know if it is available on your side of the pond? Piccy of the tin of wax below, Hope this helpsRegards Napper.

Attachments

• 007 (4).JPG
    007 (4).JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 496

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread