Probable ID of a Pewter Canteen Spout from Seminole War. Update from a post from last year.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone. I posted one of my finds from a Seminole war fort that I have an update on.
Through months of research I believe I’ve identified the soldier who it belonged to. His name was Fayette Robinson. Fayette was born in Virginia to a wealthy family. He entered the service in the 1830s and was a lieutenant in the first dragoon’s. I believe he was initially station either up north or in the Midwest. At some point he was assigned temporary duty to the 2nd dragoon’s in the Florida war.
Lieutenant Robinson quickly fell out of favor and was ordered to Washington For a trial with the accusation of actions unbecoming of an officer. So he was drummed out of the service in 1841.
Fayette may have had a relationship with the Mexican government during those years which would have not been favorable here in states. I know he translated some Mexican literature into English.
In 1859 he was staying in a boarding house in New York when he was poisoned with arsenic. After his death it was reported that during his life he had a rough disposition, often begged money for drinking spirits and apparently enjoyed lying.
That’s what I have so far on his research. I’ve included two photos of which one is a before and one after having it professionally conserved by a conservator friend in St Augustine.
Thanks for looking and enjoy your day!
52909E00-1CCD-451F-BB87-6304B8C9FB15.png
74571989-0D7E-4425-8B74-785FB291C769.png

Upvote 13

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you account for the "O" after the "R"? Looks like R would have been a middle initial.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was common during those days. Look at the o. It has two horizontal lines under it that represents it as the second letter in the last name.
I see now. That makes sense.
But...there is a chance that canteen didn't belong to Fayette Robinson. He might have just stole it and put his initials on it, given his history :laughing7:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Florida Finder, what a great piece of Personal History you have there with a story to accompany this piece. Priceless. Thanks for sharing.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool recovery and write up of its history. :occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I posted one of my finds from a Seminole war fort that I have an update on.
Through months of research I believe I’ve identified the soldier who it belonged to. His name was Fayette Robinson. Fayette was born in Virginia to a wealthy family. He entered the service in the 1830s and was a lieutenant in the first dragoon’s. I believe he was initially station either up north or in the Midwest. At some point he was assigned temporary duty to the 2nd dragoon’s in the Florida war.
Lieutenant Robinson quickly fell out of favor and was ordered to Washington For a trial with the accusation of actions unbecoming of an officer. So he was drummed out of the service in 1841.
Fayette may have had a relationship with the Mexican government during those years which would have not been favorable here in states. I know he translated some Mexican literature into English.
In 1859 he was staying in a boarding house in New York when he was poisoned with arsenic. After his death it was reported that during his life he had a rough disposition, often begged money for drinking spirits and apparently enjoyed lying.
That’s what I have so far on his research. I’ve included two photos of which one is a before and one after having it professionally conserved by a conservator friend in St Augustine.
Thanks for looking and enjoy your day!
View attachment 1988789 View attachment 1988790
Cool !!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread