Problems with the Legend - Calabash / DirtFishing - New Videos Today

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two video today showing some unique problem with the legend. Interestingly enough both video's posted today showing almost the same test.
1. - DirtFishing shows a 10" half silver dollar that he is able to hit from both directions while scrubbing the coil to the ground (at least appears this way on the video), However he is getting half the VDI he should be getting and it performs worse in 4khz which is just odd. 1:25 mark
2 - Calabash is trying on a slightly deeper target 12" and he is only able to hit it one way inconsistent VDI when scrubbing the surface but somewhat consistent in audio when not on the surface.
5:30 mark

I find Calabash video the stranger of the two. We all know there have been coils in the past that just didn't do well in the grass or wet grass but scrubbing the coil and not hitting deep targets is a major problem. It may be that 12" is just the absolute max depth that machine can possible get with that coil. If that is the case and the problem does not exist on 10" targets that would be encouraging as long as the VDI was accurate. Now DirtFishing says it would be fine if you were digging just on Audio alone but lets be honest are you going to dig every vdi 20 in the field hoping for a deep silver dollar? Seems kinda counter productive to me to have a VDI machine that can't accurately ID coins. Both guys are running the latest version as well - So something to keep an eye on with this unit. I'm hoping they get it worked out but still seems very odd to me at this time.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the issue is with the quality of the factory legend coil, and not the brain box. Would like to see a video with a good after market coil to see if the results are different. Also, do the same test with a different legend to see if the problem is consistent with the legend, or if the problem was just with that particular unit he was using.

Last edited:

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before the 1.06 update, I could hit a silver half at 10”, with a pretty consistent VDI. Now, after the update, I can still hit the half, but the VDI shows about half value. That is to say, at 1”-6” it’s a 50vdi, at 10” in M1 & M2

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i was at Pound the Ground up in NY 3 years ago. The Nokta team borrowd my shovel to bury a half dollar at 15 inches.There simplex Plus hit it all the time. No one else had a machine up there that would constantly hit it. I was impressed with the Simplex's ability to hit it and i watched a lot of people try there machines on it. To this day I do not know if they used a hopped up machine to hit that half. Every Simplex they had up there HIT it. IO guess I will never know for sure. DO you think companys could SOUP up a detector to do GREAT on deep coinss ?

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before the 1.06 update, I could hit a silver half at 10”, with a pretty consistent VDI. Now, after the update, I can still hit the half, but the VDI shows about half value. That is to say, at 1”-6” it’s a 50vdi, at 10” in M1 & M2
Wonder if either one of those videos had machine with the 1.06 update

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That should have read 22vdi at 10” in M1&M2

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for comparison sake today I took my ORX and Etrac (* Etrac had my 7" DD coil on it) did not have time to put the stock coil back on. and tested 3 coins a quarter buried at 10" a half dollar @ 11" and a silver morgan dollar at approx 12/13" in my test garden. The ORX could hit all 3 and ID the first 2 only if I ran it in program 4 (Deus Deep) with Sens at 95 which is a tad higher than what I typically run it but it was still very stable. - Coil to the soil. Surprisingly to me Dues Fast could only hit the Quarter and struggled to give an ID. (Just goes to show how much depth you loose in Deus Fast over the Deep Program)

The Etrac could hit and ID the Quarter and Half but not the Morgan dollar again coil directly scrapping the grass with no problem in my trashy park program and relic program - discrimination seems to have little affect on depth on this machine. The etrac was spot on with the Quarter ID and near perfect on the half dollar. Just goes to show how good the Etrac is on deep silver even with a far smaller coil.

Now I had a Simplex and ran it through my test garden and was unimpressed with ID on a number of targets and quickly sold it. Can't say that I ever tested it on a 15" deep target but I would have to see it to believe it.

Seems like I've heard about this "air gap" scenario before .. does anyone remember if the Nautilus had this issue? I've heard more than a few tales of its legendary depth on very deep targets.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If this is a software problem then I'm sure that it will be fixed in an update. Nokta seems very proactive in this regard. Calabash seems to be only hammering on the Legend, I wonder why he isn't saying anything about the Deus II and the huge problem with its latest update? He's so in love with the Deus II that it seems like he's not willing to be such the unbiased tester that he says he is.

Reactions: Zym

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions