Proofs, clad, and a W mint (and its not a quarter)

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
went to a few banks this afternoon. All in, got $155 in dimes, $24 in nickels, $9 in halves and a roll of quarters

One bank had $9 in halves and $8.50 were all impaired proofs. I don't know why, but I keep these

proof halves 8-6.jpg

Another bank there were 4 rolls of dimes that look like the picture. Mixed impaired proofs, uncirculated clad (likely from a mint set) and circulated clad (mostly from the 1960s).
Again, I keep the impaired proofs, and I am going to keep a roll of the uncirculated.

In one of the rolls was this uncirculated 1996-W dime. I had totally forgotten about these, let alone ever thinking I would find one (I don't look at all the dimes individually when I search). If it wasn't in a roll like these (where I looked at all the coins individually because of the proofs and uncirculated) I would never have noticed it. This may be the one modern NIFC that is actually worth something. BTW, after searching over $3,800 of quarters since the start of 2019, never found a W.

1996w dime 8-6.jpg

These are the impaired proofs and the uncirculated.

proof dimes 8-6.jpg
1969-S x11
1970-S
1971-S
1990-S

uncirc dimes 8-6a.jpg
uncirc dimes 8-6.jpg

thanks for looking and HH

Attachments

• proof dimes1 8-6.jpg
    proof dimes1 8-6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
96-W.....:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright::occasion18:--- got 1 in a roll once-- sold for aboooot 2 rolls of dimes 8-)

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went to a few banks this afternoon. All in, got $155 in dimes, $24 in nickels, $9 in halves and a roll of quarters

One bank had $9 in halves and $8.50 were all impaired proofs. I don't know why, but I keep these

attachment.php

Another bank there were 4 rolls of dimes that look like the picture. Mixed impaired proofs, uncirculated clad (likely from a mint set) and circulated clad (mostly from the 1960s).
Again, I keep the impaired proofs, and I am going to keep a roll of the uncirculated.

In one of the rolls was this uncirculated 1996-W dime. I had totally forgotten about these, let alone ever thinking I would find one (I don't look at all the dimes individually when I search). If it wasn't in a roll like these (where I looked at all the coins individually because of the proofs and uncirculated) I would never have noticed it. This may be the one modern NIFC that is actually worth something. BTW, after searching over $3,800 of quarters since the start of 2019, never found a W.

attachment.php

These are the impaired proofs and the uncirculated.

attachment.php

1969-S x11
1970-S
1971-S
1990-S

attachment.php

attachment.php

thanks for looking and HH

Whats an "impaired proof"

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A proof coin that's no longer in the condition it left the mint. It has circulated and gotten scratches.

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all as well, impared, nifc etc. for reasons, also I may or may not salt the rolls for scouts working on coin collecting merit badges , but I will neither confirm or deny this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread