Pros and cons of whites MXT and Fishers F75

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pros and cons of white's MXT and Fisher's F75

I'm looking for a back up machine for my DFX for this fall or so.
What I hunt:
I mainly look for coins and jewelry,With a relic hunt now and then to, got some old sites around here.

Where I hunt:
Parks, private property, forests, beaches(dry sand), old dirt roads...Well you name it. Mostly inland...

What I'm looking for in the machine:
"Well built/robust"
Quite fast recovery speed for high trash
I'd prefer tone ID but can live without it to
"Good" disc for those pesky trash pieces
Fairly deep when you know the machine (relics remember?)

If you've got other suggestions I'd like to hear them to.
What are the pros and cons for these two machines? (F75 and MXT)

Cheers,
Eu :icon_study:

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pros and cons of white's MXT and Fisher's F75

If you want a good backup to the DFX I would say get another DFX. I see a lot of people that have a totally different backup machine and they are in the same price range, Never really understood that.

KFB

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN

The F70 has fast recovery and good depth and sells for $650. It lacks some of the modes of the F75 but it's very stable and has good disc. Both the F70 and F75 run a loooong time on 4 AA batteries. By all accounts the F75 is a better relic machine because of the static mode but the F70 seems like a great coin shooter in trashy areas so far and is pretty deep in the autotune motion mode, and the recovery speed can be slowed down for use in non-trashy areas for more depth. I have a sovereign GT and the F70 and they are very different in operation but make a pretty good arsenal to cover different situations...creep along with the GT or zip around with the F70 like a sling blade.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

KFB: Yes I would if I could, though they are out of my price range for this round.
I am looking for more of an relic machine this time as the DFX is more of an coin shooter.
They should also somehow compliment each other.

I have been seriously looking into a XP GMaxx II that I discussed on another thread. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Eu

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A good relic machine would be a Fisher 1270. Just so happens I got one on EBay right now!!!!!!!!

KFB

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

KFB I see. No I'm going to settle with a GMaxx II, I have made my choice. :coffee2:

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006

HI EU, have you checked on the Tesoro Tejon? Bill

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

No Bill, I have not really looked closely at the Tejon. I might have to do so.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others

The Tejon gets some really serious depth in your soil, but be prepared to listen to a lot of snaps, pops, and other noises. It runs with some very high gain and EXTREME sensitivity, and that's why it has troubles completely killing linear (wire, nails, etc) and large iron.

It is a really great relic machine but the 1270 will often beat it for depth, especially in milder soil. The Nauties beat the Tejon 4 out of 5 times in the national relic hunts, but the Nauties too really suck in high iron soil, just like the Tejon does.

The 1270 handles bad ground very well.. The air depth on a 1270 is around 18" on a US quarter while the Tejon gets around 14"-16". The Tejon is really super lightweight, while the Fisher is almost a Sherman tank. The 1270 does discriminate better than the Tejon and also has a noise-blanking mode too, which the Tejon does not. I did own a Tejon for about a year and it could NOT handle this bad soil we have here in the west. In milder soil though it worked much better and it almost feels like a feather in your hands. I traded it for a Browning A-bolt 338 Mag, an even trade.

If you get the F-75 you won't need any of these other detectors. The F-75 is a sweetheart; deep, pleasant-sounding, excellent discrimination, good cherry picker, super-fast recovery, lightweight, and deals with bad ground better than the MXT. It does though, need to be run with low to lowest sensitivity in many soils. The MXT does hunt nuggets a bit better, because it uses the old GMT nugget hunting circuitry. It likes hot rocks a bit too much for my taste though, especially when using it's factory 9.5 coil.

The MXT is a bit too light in the coil for some people, and after awhile it does seem to wear on your wrist too much because the weight balance is a bit too far to the rear.

EasyMoney

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hello EasyMoney. :)

I'm going to settle with a XP machine (GMaxx II) for I might be going to Denmark in a archaeological digging!! 8)
Md'ers and the archies work together there, all from 1500 and newer I can keep, older the authorities keep. :thumbsup: (if I recall it right)
I was invited by an amateur archaeologist to help. :o ;D

Depth is not a major concern rather iron disc I don't want to be digging all the small pieces of iron and the XP makers are well known to make good finds and being able to handle iron well along with quick recovery speed.

The Xp range is one of the best on iron I hear excellent recovery speed and depth they are supposed to come close to the Nexus range. :-\

Regards,
Eu

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others

A wise choice EU. And yes the XP does have very quick recovery speed. In an archie dig, one is probably better served with a good discriminator over a deep detector, for sure. Who in their right mind would ever want to cause an archie to become annoyed with one little mistake, especially if it caused damage to one small piece of history?

A fight with a hungry prehistoric cave bear or bad-tempered giant sloth weighing in at 2000 pounds would be a lot more fun and even more educational than tangling with an angry archie. Yes?

EasyMoney

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yes I know, I did a little research and the XP range is very popular in Europe it seems.

The XP is also deep but I only can disc out iron anything else could be worth digging there.
There will be many Md'ers there from what I heard so I hope it won't be to many mistakes.

Yeah wrestling with those prehistoric beasts sounds like loads of fun! lol :D

We'll see how it goes then. :)

Regards,
Eu

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread