Prospecting in Nebraska

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Nebhunter, Night and Karen,
Been busy here at work and I don't check the treasurenet forums very often.

Omaha/Bellevue folk Russau is correct, There is AU in Eastern NE.. we've found some..

I am toying with the idea of getting an outing together sometime this year yet. But with the rains the gravel in the locations we go to would be pretty well under water.

Russ,
We are heading to Colorado next week for family vacation. I am going to be prospecting on the Arkansas on the GPAA claim near Riverside / Granite and on Leonard's claim.

When I get back I will get ahold of Andy and see about a trip to the Nemaha..

For Karen and Nebhunter, if you want to get a real good book check out Midwestprospector.com.. Chuck Lassiter has a good book that goes over the detail of what to look for.
I will speak with Andy and see what we can do to meet up with a few more people, there are several areas to prospect.. If you look at the maps there is a moraine boundary that comes through eastern Nebraska. We don't fine much more then specks but at very least it gets us out of the house and on the river.
FWIW,

I'm heard of a a couple of people who have dredged in the North and South Platte Rivers west of Lewellyn to the state line and between Ft Collins and McConaughy and have found some fines.

A buddy and I have both found gold in Eastern Nebraska in tributaries of the Nemaha, Elkhorn and Platte, and have found gold in some locations. The eastern Nebraska gold is the result of glacial till and glacial retreats.

It is important to look at the glacial maps.. Look for moraine extents, in areas where you can find "bedrock" on the creeks and tributaries you can find gold. Fines in mosts pans if you get a good location.

http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/gage/pre-wisc/gmap0.htm

It ain't much, don't forget to get permissions of land holders, make sure you know the trespassing laws on waterways for Nebraska.

if you find anything yourself communicate in this thread or on golddredger.com.

FWIW, checkout the SHOWMEGOLD for the missouri group.. Also, check out Leonard Leeper's website "golddredger.com"..

you can EM , we can talk, I will be putting a website together with a forum so we get the makings of a club put together.. Right now, I associate with the Show Me Group, but if we get enough people together we could possible get something going in the way of a club with meetings / outings and such, once we get to know each other.

(Nebraskadad)

Goldguy01

Aug 3, 2008
Come on you guys are crazy there can't be gold in NE. Especially not enough to bother with dredge.
If so prove it.

OP
OP
N

NebHunter

Jan 7, 2007
It is TRUE and I could not be more excited. There is gold in Nebraska, we (my son and I) met up with a few other people over the weekend and headed to the SE part of Nebraska. We found some Glacial Gold. We had to go down a minimum maintenance "road", cross a river, deal with heat, humidity, and bugs; it was awesome!!! I am very grateful to the guys we went with for the invite. I can not wait to do it again.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
goldguy, you must be new to prospecting! ive found gold in the midwestern states of MO,ILL,KS,IN,Ohio.i carry a 2 inch proline and my 4 inch over under dredge.glacial gold is abundant if you know where/how to find it and then capture it. its not as easy as the nuggets.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Nebhunter will you be going out on Sept 20th with Nebraskadad and the others? if so, ill guess ill see you there. ill give Rex a call early saturday morning and we could all meet for coffee in the town thats close by. ill probly camp overnight saturday and dredge somemore Sunday morning , do a quick cleanup and head home about noon Sunday,( if you guys are going to camp out.)

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Russ and Rex,hope you have a great trip and fill a vial or two.All you other guys would do well to get acquainted with Rex.Trust me,there is gold in NE.

Goldguy01

Aug 3, 2008
Hey is this this a private or public outing I want to go too! Rex (AKA) Nebraskadad contact me. If this is a private outing I will understand if you don't have anymore seats. Prospecting land is hard to come by in NE and if you have a spot that gets good gold you might want to keep it on the down low. But then again if you own the land you can do whatever you want.
We had some hunting land that was excellent whitetail hunting, word got out that where the big bucks are and, BOOM friends, 1st,2nd3rd cousins, friends I didn't know I had were hunting this property. There was enough lumber in that woodscfrom deer stands to build a house. Let me know.

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
If anybody plans another trip/outting I'd love to tag along and get my feet wet. I make it down to Auburn/Falls City 2-3 times a month.

Golddust-47

Dec 21, 2008
I'm think about checking, for gold in the southeast part of the state this summer.. the black hills are so far, for weekend outings :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread