Prospecting & TH'ng in Western North Carolina

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Greetings:

Currently in Mexico, but soon moving to North Carolina - Durham. I am intrigued by the history of gold in NC. How is the panning, sluicing, dredging, and nugget hunting (sniping) in NC? Lean? Good? Made difficult by local laws? I did quite a bit of it in Ecuador - enjoyed it and would like to pursue it again (as a hobby).

Treasure hunting - of course the treasure hunting - caches and relics mostly in western NC - I expect to retire to western NC within 5-6 years.

If anyone has knowledge or would like to strike up a conversation, please drop a note. Thank you.

Star

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer Gold Bug 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Western NC (near Morganton / Inner Piedmont Belt) and live in Durham (border of the Carolina Slate Belt & the Triassic Basin). I dredge, sluice, highbank, pan, metal detect, dive/scuba hunt, treasure hunt, magnetfish and rockhound here locally.

dreadnaught455

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys I actually live near boone and have recently got back into panning and sluicing. was wondering where is should start, just so many places in these mountains to explore just don't know where to begin. any advice would be greatly appreciated. also I'm looking to purchase a quality metal detector and not sure what to get. leaning toward a garrett but not sure

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm near Charlotte, only a couple of miles from Reedcs gold mine. Good panning here, if you can get permission from the land owner.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks for all the replies. Here are a couple photos of me dredging in Morona-Santiago, Ecuador. Mark 12.jpg Mark 10.jpg

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Hi,

Thank you for the response. I figure that I'll be taking things up more seriously in the coming months - mainly investing in books, maps, other materials. I'd really like to refine my prospecting and related THing to be more efficient/productive. Would like to stay in touch :)

Star

Brandon1981

Greenie
Jul 21, 2013
Bristol, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD PRO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just moved to east Tennessee from the Virginia gold pelt and I miss it. I've been doing a lot of research online to get me started hopefully in the right place. Welcome to the east coast and if you want a prospecting buddy let me know I know I'm looking for someone eles with gold fever! Everyone please add me if you would like.

Thank You,
Brandon D

Brandon1981

Greenie
Jul 21, 2013
Bristol, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD PRO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you got sometime for me also, I think I have l9cated some spots with maps but not sure if it's open. I'm finding out this is a amazing mineral area! I also miss finding those quartz crystals while prospecting. I hope to chat hope you've been getting a lot of gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread