Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Put the 1/4 section the lot is located in. :thumbsup:

If the claim is the entire lot you just need to use the lot designation to locate. If it's a portion of a lot you need to locate by metes and bounds. There is no such thing as a 1/2 or 1/4 of a lot.

Heavy Pans

Thanks for the fast answer.

When I see 1/4 I think aliquot and not lots. Yes metes and bounds... I learned to do that the hard way... having to amend lol.

Chuck

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the fast answer.

When I see 1/4 I think aliquot and not lots. Yes metes and bounds... I learned to do that the hard way... having to amend lol.

Chuck

A quarter section is a theoretical division of the PLSS, quarter sections are not individually surveyed. Unlike aliquots Sections and quarter sections can be an irregular portion of the whole. If it were otherwise government lots could not exist. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Land Matters Mining Claim Maps have been updated to December 1st 2021. They will be updated to December 15th before the end of this week.

These updates have been a long time coming. After more than 1,000 hours of work Land Matters will now be able to keep these maps up to date on a regular basis again.

I've got a lot more information to post about this new system but I'll do that in a different post when I have time. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters Mining Claims maps have been updated to January 15th.

Land Matters has been updating claims maps twice a month since last November. At this point Land Matters is the only third party providing updated claims mapping. All the other services (even the paid one's) haven't been updated since January 22 of last year.

So far this mining year (since September 1) there have been 44,446 mining claims closed and 79,285 new mining claims located. It's a pretty good bet some of those claim changes have been in your area of interest.

Don't rely on year old information for your prospecting and research. Get the latest and greatest at Land Matters. As always Land Matters is free! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh
Good luck with this. Looks like a great start on it. I will certainly give it a spin.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Our Land Matter's is THE BEST group to belong to of ANY groups out there ! Has the BEST info / advice to be found ! BEST LUCK to you Barry !
Thanks Russ. You've been a supporter from the beginning and I really appreciate that. Sometimes an encouraging word is all it takes to make it all worthwhile. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans
Barry

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep! Land Matters updated their Mining Claim Maps again. :thumbsup:

The BLM is making a lot of changes to their systems right now. We are working behind the scenes to make sure Land Matters information remains the most up to date possible.

The update schedule for the BLM database copies we make the mining claim, and other maps from, are no longer going to be updated on the 1st and 15th of the month. From now on the first and third Mondays of each month will be the new update schedule - for now.

We hope to have the next claims map updates the week of March 21st.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters updated their Mining Claim Maps today - sort of ...

The BLM is in the middle of another new database/server switch and they messed up the latest database extract. They admitted their error but they are too busy to fix it. So the Montana, Oregon, South Dakota and Washington State maps could not be updated.

This database extract was late and broken but we did manage to get 8 of the maps updated. The BLM won't be putting out another update until April 4th and that one is going to be in a new format. We have to figure out the latest changes before we can update the maps. There have been three database format changes by the BLM so far this month alone. Sometimes it feels like a game of wack-a-mole trying to follow all these unannounced changes. Hopefully they will settle on a system soon. :icon_scratch:

Land Matters volunteers will be working hard to keep bringing you these updates. With the current BLM database problems we hope to have the next claims maps updates and reports ready for you by the 7th of April. We will notify you on this thread when those are ready.

Thanks for your patience. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters updated their Mining Claim Maps on Friday. This is the first full claims update since March 1.

The BLM has had problems since the introduction of their new MLRS mining claim database system on March 1st. The BLM was unable to produce a complete listing of mining claims during this time. By the BLM's own account about 11,000 mining claims were missing from this new database.

Land Matters discovered the missing claims and let the BLM know about the problem. We have been working with the BLM National Operations Center in Denver since then to identify and fix this and other problems. The BLM continued to produce the broken and unusable version of their database until they finally succeeded in fixing it last Sunday April 24th. :headbang:

At Land Matters request the BLM produced a downloadable copy of the new repaired complete database this past Monday. We have been working with and testing that new database all this week to make sure it's a complete working copy. The BLM did their job well and the errors have been corrected - the missing mining claims are back!

This most recent Mining Claim Maps are now complete and can once again be relied on to show the most current BLM mining claim case files status. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread