Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes of course the Land Matters Mining Claim Maps were updated last week!

Land Matters has the only online claims maps updating twice a month and we are the only claims mapping anywhere with claim owner names.

There are now more than 1/2 million active mining claims in the mining states and they are all on the Land Matters maps! :thumbsup:

More details later...

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters has done it again. The Mining Claim Maps were updated last week.

Land Matters updates these maps twice a month. Why does that matter? In just the last two weeks 3,659 new mining claims were located. If you are using maps that update just once a month none of those new claims will be displayed.

All those new claims are easy to find on the Land Matters Maps because we provide an extra "New Claims" map layer that displays just the new claims located during the last twice monthly update.

As our Claims Advantage members know this past week we reached the point where there have been more new claims located than closed this year. As of this date there have been 31,490 claims located since the beginning of the mining year. Mining is BOOMING in the U.S. ! Keep track of all that and more on the Land Matters Mining Claim Maps.

The more frequent updates, the inclusion of claim owner names (only on Land Matters maps), mapping of new claims and the best pricing on the internet (FREE!). Land Matters is your best source for mining claims mapping. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep ... Land Matters updated their Mining Claim Maps again.

These maps were scheduled to be updated on the 3rd of April but the BLM shut down to fix some persistent problems with the new MLRS claims database. The reports were delayed by a week. It looks like most (not all) of those problems are fixed now so hopefully we can get back to a regular schedule of updates.

There were 5,605 new claims located this period and 37,095 new mining claims this year alone. There are now more than 508,000 active mining claims. 8-)

Land Matters is still the only claims mapping that updates twice monthly and has the claim owner names. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't been able to find the waiver to file this year. Where are they hiding it?
There isn't one. They sent it in to the OMB to renew it in March and a few weeks ago the form and any evidence of it being updated disappeared from the OMB site.

You have a few choices.
  1. You can fill out the old one. Technically, legally and historically that will be rejected. What they are supposed to do at that point is send you a 60 day notice to send in the current form with the correct date. Considering the actions of the BLM over the last few years I don't think either will happen. We are in clown world at this point.
  2. You can pay the maintenance fee. If you go that way don't forget to record your affidavit of labor and file a copy with the BLM before December 30th. You still have to record your labor even if you pay the fee.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
§ 3830.93 When are defects curable?

(a) If there is a defect in your compliance with a statutory requirement, the defect is incurable if the statute does not give the Secretary authority to permit exceptions (see §§ 3830.91 and 3833.91 of this chapter). If your payment, recording, or filing has incurable defects, the affected mining claims or sites are statutorily forfeited.

(b) If there is a defect in your compliance with a regulatory, but not statutory, requirement, the defect is curable. You may correct curable defects when BLM gives you notice. If you fail to cure the defect within the time BLM allows, you will forfeit your mining claims or sites.

[68 FR 61064, Oct. 24, 2003; 68 FR 74197, Dec. 23, 2003]

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/43/3830.93

Some thing to consider.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a mess. Happily for me, I mailed the form (due this December) back in February, while it was still a valid form. Did you know you can send it in at any point after the end of the prior reporting cycle?!

But still!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WELCOME BACK KEVIN ! You've been absent for a spell ! It's GOOD to see you back in the swamp with us ! :occasion14:
Thanks Russ. Sadly this forum has faded away quite a bit so I don’t visit as often. It makes me miss the TN of a decade ago.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Russ. Sadly this forum has faded away quite a bit so I don’t visit as often. It makes me miss the TN of a decade ago.
Did most people move to other platforms such as YouTube, Facebook etc.?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did most people move to other platforms such as YouTube, Facebook etc.?
Yes. I have almost 18,000 members in the Finding Gold in Colorado Facebook group for example. YouTube is huge too of course.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes. I have almost 18,000 members in the Finding Gold in Colorado Facebook group for example. YouTube is huge too of course.
Well that would explain the change on this forum and a lot of people sure like a movie clip to watch like YouTube etc.. Some will like to pick there own gold channel to watch.

Still there is useful information that is not seen on a movie clip like there is on this forum.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that would explain the change on this forum and a lot of people sure like a movie clip to watch like YouTube etc.. Some will like to pick there own gold channel to watch.

Still there is useful information that is not seen on a movie clip like there is on this forum.
hasnt been much useful info posted here for a long time. Infact there'S what two to three members posting gold or any real prospecting activities.

Most of the people who used to post here moved on to similar forums. That still have people actually posting finds and tips.

we arent allowed to link to them though.

so IYKYK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread