Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
221024134024134.jpg
221024115327505.jpg
221026161514063.jpg

The story as requested
15+years ago i was bow hunting elk early sept with a buddy that had a new minelab that wanted to go check a old mine in our area. We get to the mine batteries are dead so i grab a hammer and off i went. I am standing in an old hand dug cut and what looked like vein hanging on the face of the cut, I tapped it and solid metal hit the ground.
I was a little shocked that they would leave it there and that it was still there after 100 years.
I took about 100lbs with me that day and sent mike at action mining a sample. There ended up being a wooden box with small pieces of ore and a pile of ore under 6 inches of pine needles and dirt. I took out 500lbs out of that cut for testing. There are no producing mines in this area and the ones that did 100 years ago never did much so i never thought there would be this kind of ore being there. The first 2 assays mike did were unreal the first one came back
3opt Au 30opt Ag the second one was even more unreal. So i never could do anything after that Rasing kids and then grandkids i never could afford assays and the yearly claim fee was tough to do every year after that.
Did get some family help a few times just to keep the one claim. Still not sure why i keep it but i did.
Now i have the time and i can afford a couple assays a year but getting too old to do it but i will dream about it till the end, it is in my blood and sure is fun.

Attachments

• rock ore.jpg
    rock ore.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 39
  • ore.jpg
    ore.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 43
  • assay.jpg
    assay.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 221024115327505.jpg
    221024115327505.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 39
  • drift assay.jpg
    drift assay.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

red hardrock

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2058541 View attachment 2058542 View attachment 2058543
The story as requested
15+years ago i was bow hunting elk early sept with a buddy that had a new minelab that wanted to go check a old mine in our area. We get to the mine batteries are dead so i grab a hammer and off i went. I am standing in an old hand dug cut and what looked like vein hanging on the face of the cut, I tapped it and solid metal hit the ground.
I was a little shocked that they would leave it there and that it was still there after 100 years.
I took about 100lbs with me that day and sent mike at action mining a sample. There ended up being a wooden box with small pieces of ore and a pile of ore under 6 inches of pine needles and dirt. I took out 500lbs out of that cut for testing. There are no producing mines in this area and the ones that did 100 years ago never did much so i never thought there would be this kind of ore being there. The first 2 assays mike did were unreal the first one came back
3opt Au 30opt Ag the second one was even more unreal. So i never could do anything after that Rasing kids and then grandkids i never could afford assays and the yearly claim fee was tough to do every year after that.
Did get some family help a few times just to keep the one claim. Still not sure why i keep it but i did.
Now i have the time and i can afford a couple assays a year but getting too old to do it but i will dream about it till the end, it is in my blood and sure is fun.
Hello mining friends
It is interesting the mind set of some folks about mining from some comments i have gotten on another site.
You cannot do this, and you cannot do that you will never get anywhere with this advice is kind of sad.

I know of a man that put together a new toll mill in Colorado fully permitted taking orders for ore only one in the us
i am sure there were a lot of folks that said you cannot do that lol.
There is a company that 4 guys in Idaho put together with hard work and knowing their rights are still going strong today doing what everybody thinks you cannot do. My point i guess is you can do things if the right folks come together and have the desire to do something they love to do.

Western mining holdings on Facebook if you would like to check them out, they have a cool story about how to do it right.
May all your pans be full have a great day

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello mining friends
It is interesting the mind set of some folks about mining from some comments i have gotten on another site.
You cannot do this, and you cannot do that you will never get anywhere with this advice is kind of sad.

I know of a man that put together a new toll mill in Colorado fully permitted taking orders for ore only one in the us
i am sure there were a lot of folks that said you cannot do that lol.
There is a company that 4 guys in Idaho put together with hard work and knowing their rights are still going strong today doing what everybody thinks you cannot do. My point i guess is you can do things if the right folks come together and have the desire to do something they love to do.

Western mining holdings on Facebook if you would like to check them out, they have a cool story about how to do it right.
May all your pans be full have a great day
I'm a new member on the other forum a lot of mad scientists lol but tons of info if you weed through it. There's a lot of miners on this site that could be more help to you.

OP
OP
R

red hardrock

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lost Mine
I think it was late eighties i was working for MK in Lovelock Nv starting the coeur mine.
There was a couple of brothers had some placer claims there on the way and in the area of the mine that
I drove by every day. We started stopping there and visiting with them and they had some great stories
About the placer mines there and a story about a lost lode mine that 2 old prospectors had found and they
hit 20 opt gold. Wow even then when gold was only 250$ i could not stop thinking about that story.

After about a year of work and thinking about the old lost mine i was between working for MK and working for coeur
i took some time off went out started talking to the one brother that had lived and started mining in a old underground placer mine mining the pillars making a 100$ a week when he needed food lol. These boys had some stories their Dad was an old prospector for many years in the area and new all the history it was great for a guy like me i ate it up.

Ok the lost mine,
George the one brother and his dad Said 2 old guys and a white horse had found a very high-grade gold digs
but though the years had been lost and forgotten.
George and i made a deal if i supplied somethings he liked he would teach me prospecting and looking for lost mines lol after 4 months of walking up and down mountains about 4 miles from where we started, we found it one day when
George's dad was with us, We were sampling about halfway from the top of the ridge that day and pops was going to go to top if it was his last time, he would make it out.
When he got to the top and got his breath, he hollered at us i found your mine boys.
We found it it did have 20opt gold at the very end of 256ft drift.( ANOTHER STORY) AFTER THE FIND

That was my introduction to gold prospecting you put a pan in your hand and follow what your pan is telling you.
Building things that might be very useful in the near future is going to take some strong and brave folks, i think.
Having something to start with and getting there when most folks are still wondering what is going on could make a difference's I'm thinking. I always try to follow what the pan says, a lot of life in that thought for me.

Hope everybody has a great day

OP
OP
R

red hardrock

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning mining Brothers and sisters
Yesterday i made contact with a man that has done and is doing what i am trying to do.
Learned to do his own assays and has built a processing mill ready for ore not far from where i am.
Yes, it may be a good spring this year to get some real sampling and testing done.

I read the other day that we need to test about 5,000 tons of ore to make a underground mine.
We can do up to 1,000 tons per year under exploration by law so that would be 5 years of fun for me lol
We both have the same type of ore sulfides mostly i guess that is why it never got mined not sure about that.
I have heard there should be some free gold with high-grade ore i guess we will find out this next year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread